U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 08:52 PM

1,838 posts, read 1,934,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortisha View Post
There is a difference between awareness and self-awareness.

How do you know that without spirit matter would be dead? Cement has no soul so therefore it is dead, bacteria have souls so they are alive?

I can''t follow the rest of what you wrote, something about material pleasure (?) and I'm not going to read any religious dogma - that is what my challage was all about. Tell me what a soul is without resorting to just that.
didnt you already get your awnser-the soul is you-how can you be the body if its already died -if you were the body then that body you had when you were a baby is already gone-dead-but your still here.

cement has no soul because its dead,bacteria have souls so they are alive-you hit the nail on the head-every living entity is a soul otherwise it wouldnt be alive-a very poor unfortinate soul but there you go-and some day in millions of billions of lifetimes after moving through all the species that soul could be sittin here in a room with a laptop havin the same discussion-after all its only fair that we all get a chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 10:19 PM

30,042 posts, read 30,733,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm...mabeynot View Post
And yet "I am"

Define the difference between mind and brain?

My brain/mind tells me?
There is no difference...They are one and the same, but your brain is not your soul....I do not believe there is such a thing.....I believe soul is just a religious made up term to fit in with the religious myths of heaven and hell.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:28 AM

200 posts, read 259,099 times
okay I'll just leave it at that.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
There is no difference...They are one and the same, but your brain is not your soul....I do not believe there is such a thing.....I believe soul is just a religious made up term to fit in with the religious myths of heaven and hell.
the soul is the enjoyer or the sufferer

Old 03-22-2010, 06:01 AM

4,325 posts, read 5,139,491 times
Quote:
Of course I am a "mere" animal. What's wrong with being a mere animal? Is that supposed to be some kind of derogatory lable? And I AM mostly a walking bag of water, and my cells have changed many times since I was born. The lives of cells are finite just as I am finite, just as every living thing on this planet is finite. So?

God is not religious? I don't get that one. God, in its many forms, is the end all and be all of any religion. Some religions have many gods, some have one god, some religions have ethereal forces, but all believe in something more than man.

The soul is behind being self-aware? So an infant dosn't have a soul until it becomes self-aware? When does it get one? Most agree that a child dosen't become self-aware until sometime in the 2nd year. Does that mean that humans don't have a soul until that time? Some other "mere" animals are self-aware. Great apes, bottlenose dolophins, Asian elephants and most recently, magpies have passed the mirror test that indicates some self-awareness. Does that mean they have souls and a human infant doesn't?

So the soul is: not material, it just is, it is atomic in size (how do you know?), not the same energy as matter and it is superior (how do you know this?), and I won't know the soul exists until I die. I guess that last statement takes care of it then and I'll just have to wait until I die. Except apparently if I don't accept on faith someone's imaginary God I won't have a soul anyway. Hummmmm.... I'll never know then.
You are not an animal. Animals do not have souls. You are the greatest creation of God's. You are Love. If you think you are an animal, I can't stop you. You are Love first and formost. If you do not practice Love then you cannot know yourself. It's a fact.

God is not religion. Religion is a man made idea to control the masses. It is not Truth. God does not control and is Truth. Religion is for this world only for people who still need crutches because they are too lazy to do the work. They would rather have others do it for them.

If you want to know more about the soul, I'd suggest you raise your spirituality. As it stands, you are letting your intellect guide you. The soul is not made of intellect, it is energy.

Sounds like you have your own ideas about the soul so it really doesn't matter what anyone tells you. You aren't going to accept anything that you do not understand yet.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:36 AM

212 posts, read 335,195 times
Yes ,I do let my intellect guide me, thank you! And no, I don't understand how someone comes to the conclusion that there is a God or souls. As for not practicing Love I do not know how you could know that about me. I seem to do okay in that department; my family thinks I do, my pets think I do, my friends think I do....I dunno. I live in a very beautiful place filled with beautiful creatures who are "mere" animals and I marvel and appreciate them every day. But I do not marvel them as a creation of some god, I marvel them for what they are-nature's creation, no god needed.

And why is a bacteria's soul "unfortunate?" Bacteria are very good at what they do; they have evolved to fit a niche in nature very nicely, thank you. To think that their soul must work its way up to a human's soul before it is not "unfortunate" anymore seems very egotistical of you. There seem to be a lot of unhappy, angry, and just plain miserable, mean humans out there. Bacteria, on the other hand, are on the whole a pretty well-adjusted bunch.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Yes ,I do let my intellect guide me, thank you! And no, I don't understand how someone comes to the conclusion that there is a God or souls. As for not practicing Love I do not know how you could know that about me. I seem to do okay in that department; my family thinks I do, my pets think I do, my friends think I do....I dunno. I live in a very beautiful place filled with beautiful creatures who are "mere" animals and I marvel and appreciate them every day. But I do not marvel them as a creation of some god, I marvel them for what they are-nature's creation, no god needed.

And why is a bacteria's soul "unfortunate?" Bacteria are very good at what they do; they have evolved to fit a niche in nature very nicely, thank you. To think that their soul must work its way up to a human's soul before it is not "unfortunate" anymore seems very egotistical of you. There seem to be a lot of unhappy, angry, and just plain miserable, mean humans out there. Bacteria, on the other hand, are on the whole a pretty well-adjusted bunch.
i see the second part of this is toward me

heres the thing-would you swap your human body for that of a bacteria-bacteria have very little consioussness -we humans can experience love,care ,commpassion,nobility,music,arts and many more beutifull things on a much higher level than any animal

a devotee sees all life as equal thats why they dont eat meat as an act of non-violance-they understand that God is in the hearts of everyliving entity as the supersoul(Paramatma)

the reason why i said bacteria are unfortunate is because they are near the bottom of the species,they dont have a clue so it dosent really matter but theyve a long way to go before they reach the human stage

your right some people are more like animals than actuall animals -i wonder what life they might deserve after death-

Old 03-22-2010, 03:04 PM

4,325 posts, read 5,139,491 times
Quote:

I was in no way implying you do not practice love. You would have to be somewhat insane to not. Your an athiest and I have no problem with that. However, you have closed your mind to the possibility of who and what God is. No one is going to convince you of anything that you aren't willing to accept even if it goes against what you believe now.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
of sourse theres a difference between the brain and the mind -brain is matter-mind is subtle energy

Old 03-22-2010, 04:05 PM

212 posts, read 335,195 times
How can you see all life as equal when you apparently believe that eventually getting a human soul is the pinnacle of the pyramid of life?

And Reverend11, I will never convince you that there is no God either. It goes both ways. I don't put a lable on what I believe, I am open to anything that empirically proves there is a God and all that implies. That hasn't happened. I cannot figure out how to have that leap of faith that would lead me to accept anything else. Am I supposed to "fake it until I make it?" Why would I and and many others be excluded from being struck with the sudden knowledge and belief that there is a God?

Question: What need is behind the belief in God and in a religion? Why is accepting that life just is and just happens so unacceptable? Is it that people just can't accept that they are not here for some bigger purpose? Is it because people are afraid of death? Is it because people feel out of control and there must be some reason for what happens or dosen't happen?

I think it is different things for everyone. And that is very nice for them if it satisfies whatever need they have. I wonder all the above things also but my solution is that life just is. There is no purpose. Everything that has ever lived or is living will die. People are in very little control over their lives and to struggle against this constantly is to miss the journey of life. I am here for the journey and mostly enjoy it. It's wonderful to have twists and turns even if those are unpleasent or down-right awful sometimes. I don't know what will happen to me tomorrow or after I die, that's part of the mystery of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality