U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-22-2010, 07:02 PM
 
1,838 posts, read 1,934,841 times
Reputation: 179

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortisha View Post
How can you see all life as equal when you apparently believe that eventually getting a human soul is the pinnacle of the pyramid of life?

And Reverend11, I will never convince you that there is no God either. It goes both ways. I don't put a lable on what I believe, I am open to anything that empirically proves there is a God and all that implies. That hasn't happened. I cannot figure out how to have that leap of faith that would lead me to accept anything else. Am I supposed to "fake it until I make it?" Why would I and and many others be excluded from being struck with the sudden knowledge and belief that there is a God?

Question: What need is behind the belief in God and in a religion? Why is accepting that life just is and just happens so unacceptable? Is it that people just can't accept that they are not here for some bigger purpose? Is it because people are afraid of death? Is it because people feel out of control and there must be some reason for what happens or dosen't happen?

I think it is different things for everyone. And that is very nice for them if it satisfies whatever need they have. I wonder all the above things also but my solution is that life just is. There is no purpose. Everything that has ever lived or is living will die. People are in very little control over their lives and to struggle against this constantly is to miss the journey of life. I am here for the journey and mostly enjoy it. It's wonderful to have twists and turns even if those are unpleasent or down-right awful sometimes. I don't know what will happen to me tomorrow or after I die, that's part of the mystery of life.
the human soul is no different than any other soul the difference is in intellegence and consioussness-God loves all creatures so all creatures will get a chance to be human some day-isnt that nice.

their are higher existences than the human form-their are many heavenly planets that one can be born on- life on these planets are very enjoyable and although a life on one of these planets is billions of earth years still it is only temporary-the pinnacle of life is to break free from karma and reincarnation and return to our original state which is eternally full of bliss and knowledge

it is our human form, and especially on the earth planet where their is enough balance,that has the intellagence to inquire of our spiritual nature

these bodys are the gateways to the spiritual world-who knows how many times weve been here only to miss our opportunity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-22-2010, 08:43 PM
 
212 posts, read 335,417 times
Reputation: 279
Oh, O,K, then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2010, 03:05 AM
 
Location: Indianapolis
4,325 posts, read 5,141,315 times
Reputation: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortisha View Post
How can you see all life as equal when you apparently believe that eventually getting a human soul is the pinnacle of the pyramid of life?

And Reverend11, I will never convince you that there is no God either. It goes both ways. I don't put a lable on what I believe, I am open to anything that empirically proves there is a God and all that implies. That hasn't happened. I cannot figure out how to have that leap of faith that would lead me to accept anything else. Am I supposed to "fake it until I make it?" Why would I and and many others be excluded from being struck with the sudden knowledge and belief that there is a God?

Question: What need is behind the belief in God and in a religion? Why is accepting that life just is and just happens so unacceptable? Is it that people just can't accept that they are not here for some bigger purpose? Is it because people are afraid of death? Is it because people feel out of control and there must be some reason for what happens or dosen't happen?

I think it is different things for everyone. And that is very nice for them if it satisfies whatever need they have. I wonder all the above things also but my solution is that life just is. There is no purpose. Everything that has ever lived or is living will die. People are in very little control over their lives and to struggle against this constantly is to miss the journey of life. I am here for the journey and mostly enjoy it. It's wonderful to have twists and turns even if those are unpleasent or down-right awful sometimes. I don't know what will happen to me tomorrow or after I die, that's part of the mystery of life.
I believe in God and I believe in Love. Everything else is just extra. I don't believe Jesus had to die for my sins or that Adam and Eve were the first people on earth. I also don't believe I have to follow a set of religious rules made by man in order to live a good life. When we are Love, nothing else matters. If you, as an athiest, are doing that then you already are on a good path. It won't matter yet if you put God in the equation or not. That can come later.

I know God exists because I have felt His Love in my soul. I am the only one who can prove that aside from those who are on the same Divine Love path that I am on. There are a few others on this forum who are. We don't need religion nor any scripture to be in the world without being of it. When we are being Love, the world is love no matter what our beliefs are.

It's good that you are open. God doesn't need to prove to anyone that He exists. It's only up to us what our ideas are of God. I'm in no way trying to get you to change your beliefs, just be open that their is more to you than even you realize. It goes way beyond this world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2010, 12:24 PM
 
212 posts, read 335,417 times
Reputation: 279
I agree with everything you said. But no one answered my original question. I guess your answer would be that I should be open to the concept of a soul and, sure, I can do that. If it happens that I will learn all when I die that is great. But I also want to be able to see what happens in the world as history unfolds. That would truely be neat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2010, 12:39 PM
 
Location: Indianapolis
4,325 posts, read 5,141,315 times
Reputation: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortisha View Post
I agree with everything you said. But no one answered my original question. I guess your answer would be that I should be open to the concept of a soul and, sure, I can do that. If it happens that I will learn all when I die that is great. But I also want to be able to see what happens in the world as history unfolds. That would truely be neat!
Absolutely! We are to just BE love. Nothing else matters. We are Love made manifest and anything done with Love is what God intended. We can be believers in a bible, inspiried present day messages or even non believers. As long as Love is the guiding force, we are alright.

The soul is a hard question to answer. We don't have enough evidence of it's existance. I do remember an article about a doctor who was performing an open heart surgery. When he moved the heart of the patient, he did see a little flame inside. The was the persons soul. I don't have the article and it's been a while since I was told of this so I can't tell you where to look. I can ask the person to see if he has it though.

Last edited by Reverend1111; 03-23-2010 at 12:42 PM.. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2010, 03:03 PM
 
1,838 posts, read 1,934,841 times
Reputation: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortisha View Post
I agree with everything you said. But no one answered my original question. I guess your answer would be that I should be open to the concept of a soul and, sure, I can do that. If it happens that I will learn all when I die that is great. But I also want to be able to see what happens in the world as history unfolds. That would truely be neat!
youll experience this world -youl experience death-youll experience the next world and for eternity youll do nothing but experience life

that is the nature of the soul -it is eternal

God has set up life that we learn -we all came from somewhere and gettin back to where we came from is an adventure in itself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2010, 03:45 PM
 
212 posts, read 335,417 times
Reputation: 279
I don't believe the little flame behind the heart thing - I had the opportunity to watch a heart transplant after being the nurse that took care of the woman who was the heart donor. She had been in 3-wheeler rollover accident and I had her in ICU for 12 hours until the recipient got there and they could do the surgery. I stayed another 6 hours to watch some of the surgery. I didn't see any flames anywhere when the hearts were removed.

And so now another question: If a person recieves a heart do they then have 2 souls?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2010, 04:13 PM
 
Location: Somewhere out there
9,616 posts, read 11,088,964 times
Reputation: 3718
Default Huh? Fact or fiction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post

1) the human soul is no different than any other soul the difference is in intellegence and consioussness-God loves all creatures so

2) all creatures will get a chance to be human some day-isnt that nice.

3) their are higher existences than the human form-

4) their are many heavenly planets that one can be born on-

5) life on these planets are very enjoyable and although a life on one of these planets is billions of earth years still it is only temporary-

6) the pinnacle of life is to break free from karma and reincarnation and return to our original state which is eternally full of bliss and knowledge

7) these bodys are the gateways to the spiritual world-

8) who knows how many times weve been here only to miss our opportunity
Interesting. You say all these things (which I took the liberty of putting into point form for clarity) as though they are established facts. How do you know that, and I mean KNOW exactly and specifically, as opposed to "believe" or "wish for" or "have read"?

Just stating them as assumed facts doesn't cut it with us skeptics. You understand that, right? Maybe you should have qualified your statements as

"Within the limits of my opinion and belief system, this is what I'd like to think..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2010, 05:38 PM
 
1,838 posts, read 1,934,841 times
Reputation: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Interesting. You say all these things (which I took the liberty of putting into point form for clarity) as though they are established facts. How do you know that, and I mean KNOW exactly and specifically, as opposed to "believe" or "wish for" or "have read"?

Just stating them as assumed facts doesn't cut it with us skeptics. You understand that, right? Maybe you should have qualified your statements as

"Within the limits of my opinion and belief system, this is what I'd like to think..."
im sorry but its not my opinion its the opinion of the Supreme Personality of Godhead -the knowledge comes from the veda scriptures -they are established facts but to the non beleiver or the "skeptic"then it probly means sweat f all so dont worry about it just remember you dont beleive in all this God crap -their is only material their is no soul-their is nothing after death so none of this realy matters(or i could be wrong i dont know what you beleive)

the word veda is a sanskrit word literally meaning "knowledge"
it is said that the vedas emanate from the Lord Himself
this is the oldest knowledge in the world and was first handed down bye God Himself to the first created being in the universe Brahma(a multiheaded demigod that resides over the mode of passion and is the creator god)Brahma passes it on to one of His sons Narada and through a disciplic succsesion they were remembered for millions of years but just before the age of kali-yuga that started 5000 years ago the great sage Vyasa had to put them into written form because mans memory degenerates in the age of kali-,before that man had great memory especially the sages -it would take you years to read all the scriptures but the jewel is Bhagavad Gita, if you can suss that out then theirs nothing else that needs to be known

wow i didnt realize i had 8 very interesting points in that little sentence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2010, 06:51 PM
 
Location: Indianapolis
4,325 posts, read 5,141,315 times
Reputation: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortisha View Post
I don't believe the little flame behind the heart thing - I had the opportunity to watch a heart transplant after being the nurse that took care of the woman who was the heart donor. She had been in 3-wheeler rollover accident and I had her in ICU for 12 hours until the recipient got there and they could do the surgery. I stayed another 6 hours to watch some of the surgery. I didn't see any flames anywhere when the hearts were removed.

And so now another question: If a person recieves a heart do they then have 2 souls?
No, the heart and soul are different things. The soul is you while the heart reveals the condition of that soul. A heart transplant person would still reveal the soul it's attached to (new recipient) even if the donator was a murderer or evil person.

I do believe it was only that one instance with the heart patient. It's ok not to believe as I am skeptical although the person who informed me is very enlightened and does not lie. Who knows though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top