U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 02:45 PM

159 posts, read 368,210 times

Advertisements

Especially for those who don't follow a specific religion?

I've never had any concrete religious belief. Any interest I've had in religion was more from an academic and philosophical standpoint, rather than something i would practice and take literally.

However I've always had that "We are all one" idea stuck in my head for a long time ever since I was in middle school, and it never really went away. There's no real logic behind it, just a hunch. When we die, we go back to that "one universal soul", and that our bodies and brains are simply vessels which represent very small portions of that one soul. Animals have this too, but their biological hardware is less sophisticated and take in even smaller portions. The individuality we perceive is really just the result of the experiences, thoughts, and emotions we've accumulated over our lives while we're away from that "one soul", but ultimately individuality itself is an illusion.

One implication is that I believe as sciences progress further, it will be very possible to effectively revive people from the dead with the same memories and thoughts (unless their brain composition has gone through severe structural changes while dead, effectively rendering their "hardware" useless) since life as we know it is based on a series of working chemical and biological reactions, and that "universal soul" will simply look for the correct combination of these reactions to stick small pieces of its universal soul in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 04:03 PM

694 posts, read 1,067,711 times
I agree with "we are all one" and "ultimately individuality itself is an illusion". I don't quite follow you on the dead revival thing though, fanman72.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:09 PM

37,508 posts, read 25,238,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by learningCA View Post
I agree with "we are all one" and "ultimately individuality itself is an illusion". I don't quite follow you on the dead revival thing though, fanman72.
I experience a multiplicity in the oneness during deep meditation that belies the loss of individuality. I once believed as you in the loss of Self. It was a shock to find out otherwise.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I experience a multiplicity in the oneness during deep meditation that belies the loss of individuality. I once believed as you in the loss of Self. It was a shock to find out otherwise.
I don't believe in the loss of self, MysticPhD. I know that the "self" is just a concept built by life time conditioning and the story of ourselves that we are all pursuing in our minds most of the time.
Are you speaking of the Jung's collective psyche? Or the game of form in its endless multiplicity?

Old 03-03-2010, 05:07 PM

30,038 posts, read 30,680,506 times
You really want my thoughts on the afterlife? What afterlife? I am the last surviving member of my immediate family....I do not believe that they are enjoying any "afterlife", but by now have been reduced to the basic elements from which we are all made. The afterlife is yet another construct of mankind's fear of the unknown. Death is merely the end of life and is nothing to fear....Get it?....The end.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:51 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,062,067 times
"Your thoughts on the afterlife?"

Death.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You really want my thoughts on the afterlife? What afterlife? I am the last surviving member of my immediate family....I do not believe that they are enjoying any "afterlife", but by now have been reduced to the basic elements from which we are all made. The afterlife is yet another construct of mankind's fear of the unknown. Death is merely the end of life and is nothing to fear....Get it?....The end.
It's a bit more than that as this fear has been used to keep people in line with the afterlife promise of endless happiness or misery, and thus it became a "political" tool.

I remember seeing this Iraqi film a couple of years ago, I think, in which a man had this line that stuck to my mind: when I am here death is not and when death is here I am not.
So why fear something that you will never encounter?

Life is what we are and thus we are all one, life in its endless game of form.

Last edited by learningCA; 03-03-2010 at 08:30 PM..

Old 03-03-2010, 08:10 PM

598 posts, read 810,594 times
There is no such thing as "afterlife" -- it's a human lie.

"Afterlife" concept was created by religion to exploit faithful follower's life (real life). A dead person has no life. What "afterlife"? Do you want live forever? It ain't gonna happen.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:15 PM

153 posts, read 249,405 times
Smile the next world

We are born into a temporary world where we are spirit incubators and after our body and mind die, our soul becomes spirit and joins our ancestors in the permanent world. Aho

Old 03-03-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xube View Post
We are born into a temporary world where we are spirit incubators and after our body and mind die, our soul becomes spirit and joins our ancestors in the permanent world. Aho
Spirit incubators, it sounds poetic. That we are anyway as life is spirit and our bodies and minds incubate it for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality