U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-04-2010, 09:03 AM
 
Location: Northern Va. from N.J.
4,368 posts, read 4,094,059 times
Reputation: 2652

Advertisements

Hundreds of thousands of years ago, Neanderthals built altars and conducted funeral ceremonies. This proto-religious behavior shows that as soon as hominid brains got big and complex enough for mind to arise, we began to wonder about the mysteries and problems of existence, and found some resolution in religious story and ritual.

Our brains are wired for liturgy | National Catholic Reporter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-04-2010, 09:09 AM
 
1,243 posts, read 1,316,354 times
Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
Hundreds of thousands of years ago, Neanderthals built altars and conducted funeral ceremonies. This proto-religious behavior shows that as soon as hominid brains got big and complex enough for mind to arise, we began to wonder about the mysteries and problems of existence, and found some resolution in religious story and ritual.
That doesn't mean they had liturgies!

Neither does it mean that brains are wired for such stuff. Liturgies were the tools of control-freaks and manipulators such as Babylonian and Egyptian priests. The link to the RCC may be in that.

Is the RCC so desperate that it cannot convince anyone about liturgy without resort to this flakey nonsense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2010, 09:12 AM
 
Location: Northern Va. from N.J.
4,368 posts, read 4,094,059 times
Reputation: 2652
Maybe Karl Marxs was onto something when he said religion is the opium of the masses; could we have been preprogrammed to have Faith/ believe in a supreme being ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2010, 09:16 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
4,085 posts, read 7,453,708 times
Reputation: 2641
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
Maybe Karl Marxs was onto something when he said religion is the opium of the masses; could we have been preprogrammed to have Faith/ believe in a supreme being ?
Well, everyone has to have a Faith in something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2010, 09:18 AM
 
1,243 posts, read 1,316,354 times
Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
Maybe Karl Marxs was onto something when he said religion is the opium of the masses; could we have been preprogrammed to have Faith/ believe in a supreme being ?
That would represent the opposite of what Marx said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2010, 09:20 AM
 
Location: Northern Va. from N.J.
4,368 posts, read 4,094,059 times
Reputation: 2652
Some people at this forum remind me of

YouTube - SNL - Debbie Downer Theme Tune
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2010, 09:23 AM
 
1,243 posts, read 1,316,354 times
Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Well, everyone has to have a Faith in something.
They don't. We all do, once we have heard or read the gospel. But ancient man was very widely religious, as has been pointed out on the 'net quite recently. (This Catholic article is probably just a bit of mimicry, with its own distortion added.) The ancients felt that their actions somehow contributed to disasters, and made sacrifices to offload their guilt. Now this instinct was taken up for evil purposes by lazy, greedy people who conned others into working for them, using this guilt factor, and liturgy was useful for them. The European medieval situation is a good example of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2010, 09:38 AM
 
1,168 posts, read 1,044,362 times
Reputation: 87
Today they still build Altars or monuments of...X...and sacrifice human lives for it...

Neandertherthals?....well not much has changed in that understanding Today!

WTC 9/11 monument of death and wealth....an altar that all things living and dead..pass through...to change it / them into a delusional unfare value...and then traded on bent and slanted markets ....calling it free trade..?
But if you look real closely at the meanings of those words, and terminolgies used, and guidelines of that estate in red tape, and babble...it is not free trade in truth.
If the oppressed and destitute are made by it, are undermined, underhandedly cheated, robbed, and theived from, or lied to, and or killed for their profitable gains...then what kind of system is it?....Things which we all know are taking place in the world under its muse...on the other side of the coin...Poverty, sickness, and great sufferings...all part of the parcel under it.

So..the neanderthals still lives, and they make their altars to their bent engraven idol demigods of Wealth...?.... The other side (the oppressed and destitute) fight back!...Kill em they say...they call em terrorists now!

And now they are rebuilding their Altar WTC...and asking for more money (Idol), more human suffering, More human sacrifices, more bloodshed...and more wars built on lies, and oppression....because of their cheating and bent mindsets, They have created "a den of robbers and thieves"...for that is what they are!.

And who supports this mindlessness called Democracy?...Yet another lie!

I wonder...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2010, 09:50 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
4,085 posts, read 7,453,708 times
Reputation: 2641
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibata View Post
They don't. We all do, once we have heard or read the gospel. But ancient man was very widely religious, as has been pointed out on the 'net quite recently. (This Catholic article is probably just a bit of mimicry, with its own distortion added.) The ancients felt that their actions somehow contributed to disasters, and made sacrifices to offload their guilt. Now this instinct was taken up for evil purposes by lazy, greedy people who conned others into working for them, using this guilt factor, and liturgy was useful for them. The European medieval situation is a good example of that.
We all have to have faith in something.. I don't see anything in your post that really proves otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2010, 09:57 AM
 
2,893 posts, read 5,169,702 times
Reputation: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
We all have to have faith in something.. I don't see anything in your post that really proves otherwise.

You're sorta right.

I have faith that politicians will always lie to me.

I have faith that taxes will never be fair.

I have faith that everyone dies.


Does that count?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top