Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 10:46 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Yes
making red herrings isn't something to be proud of jimmiej.

Quote:
Of course you won't, because it blows your whole argument.
You wish. Let me get this straight, you are claiming that if a terrorist warns people that he will murder everyone and then goes ahead and blows up a building, then he hasn't committed a crime because "he warned them"? Absolute nonsense.

Why are you trying to justify genocide?

Quote:
Noah preached righteousness to the people, as did Enoch. The Scripture is clear, they were warned. And yes, I believe Romans 5. Man is a sinner by nature.
Clearly not, it says that sin is not taken into account without the law.

Please explain the contradiction I pointed out in post 96
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 11:07 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post

You wish. Let me get this straight, you are claiming that if a terrorist warns people that he will murder everyone and then goes ahead and blows up a building, then he hasn't committed a crime because "he warned them"? Absolute nonsense.
You misrepresent the scenario. A way of escape was given. Noah & his family found it.

Quote:
Clearly not, it says that sin is not taken into account without the law.
Then how did Noah know to do right? What about Abel?

Old 03-12-2010, 11:13 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
What a lot of "to do" about nothing...There was no worldwide flood, no ark, and probably no Noah, therefore there was no genocide.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
What a lot of "to do" about nothing...There was no worldwide flood, no ark, and probably no Noah, therefore there was no genocide.
Well! Thanks for clearing that up!

Old 03-12-2010, 11:55 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,223 times
Quote:
You misrepresent the scenario.
I haven't, you are just dodging the question.

Quote:
A way of escape was given. Noah & his family found it.
Same in this scenario:

Terrorist: "Convert to Islam or else you shall see my wrath."

There is no difference in scenarios. Warning or no, both are acts of extreme cruelty.

Quote:
Then how did Noah know to do right? What about Abel?
I'm just posting what's written on the bible, why don't you simply ask god why there are contradictions in it?

Quote:
What a lot of "to do" about nothing...There was no worldwide flood, no ark, and probably no Noah, therefore there was no genocide. [LEFT]

[/LEFT]
That's true but It is quite interesting and somewhat disturbing to see this type of christian mentality at work. Christians generally regard themselves as having the monopoly on all that's good, that morality is an absolute standard with no exceptions and yet I've heard the most ridiculous rationalizations for why it's acceptable in the bible. On CD alone I've had people say that there's nothing wrong with slavery, that stoning was absolutely necessary back in the day and now that there are circumstances where genocide is fine.

You'd think that this type of mentality would be confined to people living in a totalitarian regime or just with the people we sometimes find on CD but I've met people in life who are otherwise very nice but are ready to turn off their moral compass when their religious texts are involved. Maybe I should stop, this only serves to depress me about the state of the world.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
I haven't, you are just dodging the question.

Speaking of dodging, what (in your opinion) is a "preacher of righteousness"?

Does Scripture say Enoch warned the people?

Why did God spare Noah & his family?

Don't strain yourself. Just answer one of them. Go ahead. You can do it!

BTW, you quoted me on something I didn't say.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:39 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Speaking of dodging,......
Yes, speaking of dodging. Would you care to address post #99?

Old 03-12-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Yes, speaking of dodging. Would you care to address post #99?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
I have a perfect understanding of what "omniscient" means.

You just keep on harping on about this "free choice" nonsense don't you? The question of whether or not your deity is omniscient has absolutely no bearing on 'choice'. We are trying to ascertain just why a deity that knows everything, would deliberately manufacture something that it knew was or would become so defective that the said deity would be obliged to destroy the product. That is the question in hand NOT whether or not people had a 'choice' to do whatever.
Yes, I will. Then I expect an answer to my post.

I do believe God gave us free choice to return His love. If we do, our future is secure. I think that comes when a person realizes they are a sinner in need of a savior. If we reject Christ, we will suffer eternally. God is holy & cannot tolerate sin in His presence. God's holiness requires judgment. In the next world, mankind will return to the perfection that was at the beginning of the world.

The reason people reject God is selfishness & pride. They want to be their own God. They think they know best. In God's eyes, this is like letting a small child do what they want. Parent's can't do that. It would be disastrous!

You think God knew all along that He would create mankind & then destroy them. I can't argue that God knows everything. I don't completely comprehend that concept, admittedly. I do believe God operates outside of time as we know it. Scripture appears to back that up. I think that is a part of this equation we cannot comprehend.

Finally, from my experience as a Christian, & my many years as a student of the Bible, I believe God is love, not just God loves, but God is love. I do not for a moment believe He created mankind for the purpose of destroying them. God loves us with a love we cannot begin to comprehend. I understand that, to you, it appears so. The Spirit of God that lives in me says that was never God's intention. He desires for all to come to a saving knowledge of Him.

I realize this is all nonsense to you, but I believe it with all my heart!

Now, would you please answer my questions?

Quote:
What (in your opinion) is a "preacher of righteousness"?

Does Scripture say Enoch warned the people?

Why did God spare Noah & his family?

Old 03-12-2010, 07:21 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Yes, I will. Then I expect an answer to my post.

I do believe God gave us free choice to return His love. If we do, our future is secure. I think that comes when a person realizes they are a sinner in need of a savior. If we reject Christ, we will suffer eternally. God is holy & cannot tolerate sin in His presence. God's holiness requires judgment. In the next world, mankind will return to the perfection that was at the beginning of the world.
Free choice is made without threats.

Quote:
The reason people reject God is selfishness & pride. They want to be their own God. They think they know best. In God's eyes, this is like letting a small child do what they want. Parent's can't do that. It would be disastrous!
No, that is not the reason most people reject god. Most people just find the concept of some deity who watches and controls everything we do as though we are small children is just not a reasonable or credible belief...

Quote:
You think God knew all along that He would create mankind & then destroy them. I can't argue that God knows everything. I don't completely comprehend that concept, admittedly. I do believe God operates outside of time as we know it. Scripture appears to back that up. I think that is a part of this equation we cannot comprehend.
I certainly don't think god created anything, and the fact that you think scripture backs it up means nothing to me....Scripture was written by men.

Quote:
Finally, from my experience as a Christian, & my many years as a student of the Bible, I believe God is love, not just God loves, but God is love. I do not for a moment believe He created mankind for the purpose of destroying them. God loves us with a love we cannot begin to comprehend. I understand that, to you, it appears so. The Spirit of God that lives in me says that was never God's intention. He desires for all to come to a saving knowledge of Him.
If god actually existed, then he is certainly not a god of love. Besides this flood thing he commanded people to murder their own kids, had babies bashed on rocks, people stoned to death, etc. etc......Where is this love you speak of?

Old 03-12-2010, 07:33 PM

Free choice is made without threats.

Do you have kids? Did you ever say something like, "You have a choice. You can behave, or get punished."

No, that is not the reason most people reject god. Most people just find the concept of some deity who watches and controls everything we do as though we are small children is just not a reasonable or credible belief...

Thanks for making my point.

I certainly don't think god created anything, and the fact that you think scripture backs it up means nothing to me....Scripture was written by men.

Your opinion.

If god actually existed, then he is certainly not a god of love. Besides this flood thing he commanded people to murder their own kids, had babies bashed on rocks, people stoned to death, etc. etc......Where is this love you speak of?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality