Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 10:26 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
There's one thing I've always wondered about this. How do you know if you've done enough? No one can do enough to be perfect, so are you in a state of uncertainty about your salvation?

I believe once you accept Jesus as your Saviour, the works come naturally. We love Him, and therefore, want to try and live our lives as He did.
You know...maybe this won't count because it isn't from a Christian POV, but I do believe that no matter who or what God is, good works are important. So let me answer your question as I see it, anyway.

I don't think that you can know for sure that you've done enough. I mean I think for every person it must be different. I don't think (I don't know for sure--but I don't think) that you have to do X amount of things and then you're all done. I think you have to take every situation as it comes and try to help in that given situation. I believe that's how God knows you're sincere in wanting to help people, because you're willing to keep doing it as a situation presents itself.

So, say I'm fit as a fiddle (I'm not--but hey--this is make-believe, I can say whatever I want!) and say Mrs. Z is housebound due to a medical condition. And Mrs. Y is economically underpriveleged. Well, along comes some big project in our neighborhood to create a building for kids' recreation. So...I hop out there on a Saturday, bust my hump with nails in my mouth and a hammer in my hand, and a pink girley toolbelt on since I'm a girl. And aaaaaaaaaaal day long I pound, pound, pound to physically build this thing.

Mrs. Y is also physically fit but doesn't have a job and has full care of her children all day. So she doesn't go out to help build. And she doesn't have any money to contribute. So...on opening day she takes her kids there. They have baked cookies from scratch for all the other kids who will be there. She borrowed flour from a neighbor and Gramma came over with sugar and they had made a day of it together to make these cookies. Her kids have learned how much fun "work" can be.

Mrs. Z doesn't contribute any actual time since she physically can't get out of her house. But someone comes to her house asking for a contribution. She rifles through her purse and finds $10 and she gives it to the person.

ALL these people contributed, to their own abilities. I think they're all *equally* important.

Oh...but I forgot Mrs. X. Mrs. X has heard about this center for kids, but she feels very drained and tapped out because she just contributed to some other project a few weeks ago. She's so tired out that she's snapping at her kids. So she skips this one. And in doing so, she is a more relaxed mom to her kids, which is so important because they're currently forming into the adults they will one day be.

So that's how I see it. Hope that made sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 10:33 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
You know...maybe this won't count because it isn't from a Christian POV, but I do believe that no matter who or what God is, good works are important. So let me answer your question as I see it, anyway.

I don't think that you can know for sure that you've done enough. I mean I think for every person it must be different. I don't think (I don't know for sure--but I don't think) that you have to do X amount of things and then you're all done. I think you have to take every situation as it comes and try to help in that given situation. I believe that's how God knows you're sincere in wanting to help people, because you're willing to keep doing it as a situation presents itself.

So, say I'm fit as a fiddle (I'm not--but hey--this is make-believe, I can say whatever I want!) and say Mrs. Z is housebound due to a medical condition. And Mrs. Y is economically underpriveleged. Well, along comes some big project in our neighborhood to create a building for kids' recreation. So...I hop out there on a Saturday, bust my hump with nails in my mouth and a hammer in my hand, and a pink girley toolbelt on since I'm a girl. And aaaaaaaaaaal day long I pound, pound, pound to physically build this thing.

Mrs. Y is also physically fit but doesn't have a job and has full care of her children all day. So she doesn't go out to help build. And she doesn't have any money to contribute. So...on opening day she takes her kids there. They have baked cookies from scratch for all the other kids who will be there. She borrowed flour from a neighbor and Gramma came over with sugar and they had made a day of it together to make these cookies. Her kids have learned how much fun "work" can be.

Mrs. Z doesn't contribute any actual time since she physically can't get out of her house. But someone comes to her house asking for a contribution. She rifles through her purse and finds $10 and she gives it to the person.

ALL these people contributed, to their own abilities. I think they're all *equally* important.

Oh...but I forgot Mrs. X. Mrs. X has heard about this center for kids, but she feels very drained and tapped out because she just contributed to some other project a few weeks ago. She's so tired out that she's snapping at her kids. So she skips this one. And in doing so, she is a more relaxed mom to her kids, which is so important because they're currently forming into the adults they will one day be.

i must have missed a post...forgive me, but done enough for what?

Old 06-04-2007, 10:34 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
i must have missed a post...forgive me, but done enough for what?
There's one thing I've always wondered about this. How do you know if you've done enough? No one can do enough to be perfect, so are you in a state of uncertainty about your salvation?

Old 06-04-2007, 10:40 AM

743 posts, read 2,233,443 times
Quote:

I believe once you accept Jesus as your Saviour, the works come naturally. We love Him, and therefore, want to try and live our lives as He did.
One reason Catholics receive the sacraments frequently is due to our belief that we receive grace from them. There are two different types of grace, Actual Grace and Sanctifying Grace.

Catholics do not believe in justification by faith alone. There is a fundamental difference between how Cath and Prot view salvation, justification and sanctification, like I said before.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:42 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,037 times
Quote:
thank you, for the repost! I feel like, as a Christian, theres nothing I can do to make my way into heaven outside Christ, I do feel however, that after receiving him into my heart, that I wanted to do things, opportunities are everywhere. JerZ I agree about the three you posted about, you just have to do what you can with what you have

Old 06-04-2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:

Yes, I think it does make sense.

Everyone can give and contribute and do good things accordint to their individual situation in life. To those who have been given more, more shall be required, I think.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
thank you, for the repost! I feel like, as a Christian, theres nothing I can do to make my way into heaven outside Christ, I do feel however, that after receiving him into my heart, that I wanted to do things, opportunities are everywhere. JerZ I agree about the three you posted about, you just have to do what you can with what you have
Arguy, catholics teach and believe that faith and works go hand in hand. Moher Theresa, when she was once praised by a media prof for all that she does for the poorest of the poor, she bluntly stated that she is not a social worker; it is specifically her faith in Christ which is the foundation of her charitable works - she responds to others because she sees the face of Christ in all human beings.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:04 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,753,814 times
Quote:

I appreciate your thoughtful post, JerZ. And I agree. We should all do what we can. Each one of us have different ways of serving. As I mentioned, when you become a Christ follower, your goal should be to serve. This would be natural.

God knows our hearts. It's not enough to say, "I've been saved!" and expect a "Get our of Hell" pass. But when one is a Believer, and lives his or her life obediently, he/she will go to Heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality