Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 09:33 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,158,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
It is not the home-schooled child that is being taught the lie. The public schooled child is being taught many lies. I found that out when my son had been out of school sick and I decided to read his book to him. I was absolutely appalled at the content of his book. History is being changed in the printed word. Our public school children are not being properly taught. I see the evidence of some of that ignorance on this thread.

Evolution is a theory only.

History isn't being changed my friend, it is rather being corrected from the long told lies of the "Christian nation" crowd who erroneously believe the country and its laws were founded on The Bible, the ten commandments and so called "Judeo-Christian" values with no regard to historical fact.

And claiming that evolution is "a theory only" just puts you in a long line of like minded ignorants who have no clue as to what it takes for a principle to be awarded the status of theory in the realm of science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 10:12 PM

478 posts, read 772,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvenie View Post
All those homeschoolers claiming that their kids are so much better educated than other children are just lying to themselves and their kids.

Http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100306/...hool_evolution
No surprise here. It's very often the religious extremists/fundamentalists who want their children "sheltered" from the real world. Which seriously cripples them emotionally and renders them completely ill prepared for life in the real world and how to deal with and address real life situations. I can only imagine how skewed the sex-ed lessons are in those books; that is, if there even are any....

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Teaching creationism is not a blatant lie. Evolution has never been proven.
Sorry, but teaching and presenting creationism as the only theory is in fact a blatant lie. For if the theory of creationism is the only theory taught, and there is no mention of the theory of evolution then, to a child who knows no different, then you are teaching your child that the theory of creationism is all there is. Which, again, is a blatant lie. That is, if you believe that intentionally omitting or holding back important information/facts is the same as lying. Which I do. I learned that in Sunday school...

It sounds to me like these are some pretty one-sided lessons plans, and pretty dangerous if they are the sole means of educating children who have no teachings other than that which they learn at home. The theory of evolution is more than valid and thus a very necessary part of a child's learning plan- for those who actually want their child to be educated and to think for themselves, and in order that they not come off like a moron when they go off to college or out in the world. And if people flat out refuse to let go of their faith in the whole theory of creation and believe it stands on its own as being such a valid and "proven" theory, then why not present evolution too? Unless there is perhaps some fear that creationism might not stand up and seem as "true" when up against evolution...

Old 03-07-2010, 10:20 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,013,333 times
Do creationists have the fog of the brain syndrome? They claim that home schooled children are being taught the 'truth' of creationism while public schooled children are being taught the 'lie' of evolution, yet they never provide evidence for creationism and show complete ignorance of evolution. Case in point, evolution is 'just a theory.' Do they have even the slightest clue of what a theory in science is? Obviously not or they wouldn't be blathering on about how evolution is 'just a theory' means it's an unsubstantiated fairytale. I wonder what else home schooled children are being taught. I'm guessing it's somewhere along the lines of 'gravity is a lie' and 'the sun revolves around the earth.' Their history books were probably written prior to the Civil War and their math books say 1+1=7. It's rather sad to see so many children deprived of a public education where they learn facts and critical thinking.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:28 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,109,658 times
You know I think the germ theory is just that....a theory. Next time some of you superstitious people get seriously ill, please place the blame on witches and curses. Do not, under any circumstance, go to a doctor. What the hell do they know with all their science and theories.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:06 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,082,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
Non sequitur. Firstly, evolution has indeed been proven beyond all reasonable doubt. ALL evidence supports it. Even if this were not the case, that would not make [Biblical] creationism true are more valid by default. The two are in no way peers or on equal ground.

Creationism, and especially the young earth Biblical creationism taught in these homeschooling materials, most definitely is a blatant lie that has long been debunked by all legitimate science and evidence.
Ha. As thought evolution has been proven beyond a reasonable doubt. If it has, I haven't seen the evidence. I have known many well educated scientists who do not believe in evolution. Creationism and young earth creationism are not the same thing either. You should really know what you're talking about before stating such things.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
And 6 magical days, the garden of eden, Noah's ark and all that jazz has been?
I would like to ask where I said creationism has been proven. I haven't. By the way, many archaeological evidence from around the world has shown evidence of a global flood. 6 magical days? Nope. Anyone who knows anything about the language the Bible was originally written in knows that it does not say anything about six days. Again, people should really learn what they are talking about before saying something.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
You might want to start studying a subject called biology. It is the scientific discipline of studying life and the interactions of living organisms. I know the bible and churches tell you creationism is a proven truth and evolution is an unproven falsehood, but such folk aren't experts in the business of fact finding and testable evidence. The scientific method on the otherhand is a credible source for pursueing the truth. If you decide to use this method you will discover that creationism is an outdated lie and all evidence is in support of evolution.

This just seems to prove that public schooling teaches children the truth whereas homeschooling teaches children to believe in bronze age beliefs.
Wrong again. You guys really should stop making assumptions. I took biology at a public school with a very pro-evolution teacher.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
You apparently did not have much in the way of science during your schooling!
Oh no, I obviously didn't. In my PUBLIC high school I took biology, anatomy and physiology, chemistry, and honors physics. I must be such an uneducated idiot. What will I do with myself?

Old 03-07-2010, 11:33 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
I would like to ask where I said creationism has been proven. I haven't. By the way, many archaeological evidence from around the world has shown evidence of a global flood. 6 magical days? Nope. Anyone who knows anything about the language the Bible was originally written in knows that it does not say anything about six days. Again, people should really learn what they are talking about before saying something.
I have asked for it many times, but I have never been shown any evidence for a global flood as described in the bible. You claim that you were an honors student in physics. In that case you should know that such a flood is not possible. I agree that folks should know what they are talking about before speaking....That applies to all of us, including you.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:54 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
It is not the home-schooled child that is being taught the lie. The public schooled child is being taught many lies. I found that out when my son had been out of school sick and I decided to read his book to him.
Could you give examples please?

Quote:
Ha. As thought evolution has been proven beyond a reasonable doubt. If it has, I haven't seen the evidence.
That's because you keep covering your ears and eyes when the evidence is presented to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality