Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 04:28 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times

Advertisements

My main objection to home-schooling is the fact that unless a parents happens to be a certified school teacher that they aren't qualified to do the job. Teaching is a profession that requires a certain amount of education and certification. Just because someone has children doesn't mean that they have the skill sets and academic background required to teach them anything.
The home-schooling trend in America has almost exclusively been established and promoted by religious parents who became frustrated that their efforts at changing school text books and eliminating evolution from science books has been a complete failure so they've chosen to pursue a new tactic, removing their children from public schools. The result is children who miss out on the experience of interacting with other students, participating in sporting events, and enjoying the typical experience of growing up in a normal way. It's also a disaster if they want to attend college and discover that their years of isolation have left them far behind other students. They also don't have classes in creationism in college so if they become interested in a subject like biology or medicine they're going to have to unlearn all of the brainwashing that they've been subjected to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 05:29 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
My main objection to home-schooling is the fact that unless a parents happens to be a certified school teacher that they aren't qualified to do the job. Teaching is a profession that requires a certain amount of education and certification. Just because someone has children doesn't mean that they have the skill sets and academic background required to teach them anything.
Good post. I've often thought the same thing.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:12 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,783,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Did you check out the link I provided? Any child taught this drivel is either being lied to or the curriculum is incredibly ignorant, and I refuse to believe anyone can be THAT ignorant.
The ignorance is equally abundant on both sides of the issue. I don't expect you to understand that, but that's the case.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:34 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,124,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
The ignorance is equally abundant on both sides of the issue. I don't expect you to understand that, but that's the case.
Are you saying creationism is on an equal footing with evolution? Are you saying that the scientific evidence for creationism is as abundant, compelling, testable, predictive and consistent?

Old 03-08-2010, 06:40 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,040,720 times
[quote=Nikk;13207927]There is no basis for the hypothesis of evolution. Were you there in the past to see what really happened? No, neither was any scientist today or those scientist living 250 years ago who wrote the drivel.

And you were not there when the bible was written. So I guess the bible can't possible be literally true....

Science has much to offer mankind, and to discount science because they weren't "there" seems ignorant.

Evolution makes more sense then what the bible has to say.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:43 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,929,954 times
Parents have been teaching their children read for centuries before state issued teaching certificates.

I find it not a little disconcerting that adults with decades of experience in reading, writing, and arithmetic think they can't teach those same skills to a five-year-old.

And the last people I think should be "in charge" of education are the politicrats.

I'm an atheist, I wholeheartedly support alternative education.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:48 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
Parents have been teaching their children read for centuries before state issued teaching certificates.

I find it not a little disconcerting that adults with decades of experience in reading, writing, and arithmetic think they can't teach those same skills to a five-year-old.

And the last people I think should be "in charge" of education are the politicrats.

I'm an atheist, I wholeheartedly support alternative education.
Really? Even if the kids are taught myth as fact?

Old 03-08-2010, 06:48 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,929,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Really? Even if the kids are taught myth as fact?
Yes.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Over 95% of scientists generally, and over 99% of scientists in the fields of biology and earth sciences, accept the theory of evolution. These beliefs estimate the earth to be about 4.5 billions of years old. I guess you think these people are all wrong do you?

Old 03-08-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
There is a serious problem in homeschooling right now in that most homeschooling families find themselves using the Apologia series for teaching science because it is so parent friendly. However, this series was written with one purpose in mind and that was to debunk evolution in favor of Intelligent Design. While our family is religious, we are not Creationists and I have serious problems with the Apologia series. I find it dangerous because so many homeschoolers are using it
Homeschooling and evolution « Why Evolution Is True
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality