U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-08-2010, 10:56 AM
 
Location: Earth. For now.
1,198 posts, read 1,711,037 times
Reputation: 1139

Advertisements

Still happens in modern times. Don't forget Joseph Smith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-08-2010, 11:04 AM
 
Location: PA
2,616 posts, read 3,919,925 times
Reputation: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
If you believe all this wild, incredulous guess-work driven speculation, please be my guest.
What are you talking about?????

I am using direct reference to the bible. Where have I used speculation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2010, 11:09 AM
 
Location: PA
2,616 posts, read 3,919,925 times
Reputation: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
If you believe all this wild, incredulous guess-work driven speculation, please be my guest.
You made a claim that the people in the bible were only spoken to individually by God. I gave various circumstances to show that God spoke to goups or more then one person. And you accuse me of "guess-work" and "speculation".

I have proven your pet theory wrong and you get mad at me.

It is fine to get mad, but get mad because you are ignorant of the scripture. Don't tell me I am guessng or speculating when I am using the actual word of the text you are attempting to dismiss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2010, 12:30 PM
 
Location: New York City
5,556 posts, read 6,708,938 times
Reputation: 1351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
Where have I used speculation?
Quote:
The story of Job takes place in the desert between modern Israel and Egypt. Probably somewhere in Gaza, just after the flood of Noah's day.
The Bible does not tell us WHEN Job lived (if he lived at all). Biblical scholars speculate it was written before the time of Abraham or around that time BECAUSE it does not mention Israel or any of the Jewish laws. This is in itself does NOT prove that the character known as Job must have lived right after the biblical flood.

The term 'sons of god' in CONTEXT of the book is Job is NOT talking about Adam, Abraham, Moses or whoever. It is talking about angels (well, by Jewish reckoning at the time) so your whole theory flies out the window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2010, 12:35 PM
 
Location: New York City
5,556 posts, read 6,708,938 times
Reputation: 1351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
You made a claim that the people in the bible were only spoken to individually by God. I gave various circumstances to show that God spoke to goups or more then one person. And you accuse me of "guess-work" and "speculation".
And where does your 'various circumstances' come from, Nikk? Isn't it the Bible, the very SAME book that tells us god spoke to people. Show me an INDEPENDENT source that corroborates these intimate conversations we're supposed believe "just because the bible says so?"

Quote:
I have proven your pet theory wrong and you get mad at me.
Mad, sir??? Why, hardly. Why should I be mad?

Quote:
It is fine to get mad, but get mad because you are ignorant of the scripture. Don't tell me I am guessng or speculating when I am using the actual word of the text you are attempting to dismiss.
Dude, I've been reading and studying the bible since I was a child and read and studied it for over 25 years. I'm not as ignorant as you might think or is it that I'm ignorant about YOUR views on scripture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2010, 12:47 PM
 
Location: NC, USA
7,088 posts, read 12,696,306 times
Reputation: 3975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
What are you talking about?????

I am using direct reference to the bible. Where have I used speculation?
I really do not understand why people quasi-quote, or, even..quote the bible as if it were not a work of fiction. Huck Finn has a more secure moral basis. Mark Twain was a genius and this book is one of the best essays on the nature of friendship in all of literature. If you are gonna quote someone, at least use reputable authors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2010, 01:05 PM
 
Location: NC, USA
7,088 posts, read 12,696,306 times
Reputation: 3975
Major road block toward acceptance of Christianity and Islam


Hummm, I suspect the plural would be more appropriate, "road block (s)" , 1. Logic 2. Science 3. Common Sense
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2010, 01:21 PM
 
Location: New York City
5,556 posts, read 6,708,938 times
Reputation: 1351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Major road block toward acceptance of Christianity and Islam


Hummm, I suspect the plural would be more appropriate, "road block (s)" , 1. Logic 2. Science 3. Common Sense
lol...well I was just focusing on one and this is one right out of the gate. Why follow any religion or ANYONE who claims voices spoke to them and told the what is best for me or mankind? That's a major red flag.

I mean, how many times we read, "and the LORD spoke to so and so" and 'so and so' is all by themselves and did not write the account leaving us to wonder WHO was the other person who heard god speaking to these individuals to feel the need to write it down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2010, 01:51 PM
 
31,385 posts, read 31,046,755 times
Reputation: 14878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
Still happens in modern times. Don't forget Joseph Smith.
Let's not forget Jim Jones or David Koresch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2010, 08:24 AM
 
Location: south saudi
169 posts, read 306,187 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
According to the accounts, Muhammad claimed he heard voices (an angel) speaking to him in a cave. What he claims was revealed to him has become the foundation faith of billions of people.


Through your words.....that the standard Truth have you

be by Vision and hearing just right ?

our prophet muhammed (peace be upon him) is Messenger of God to the whole world is not only Muslims ....

was carried the message of Islam to us by revelation of allah (god) not claim as you said ..

muhammed (peace be upon him)The angel( Jibreel )came to him in the cave (Hira) in Makkah ...

if you want this link no problem I guess

http://www.witness-pioneer.org/vil/Books/SM_tsn/ch1s7.html



In no other walk of life do I accept ANYTHING a person tells me if he says a voice spoke to him or her to tell me this or that. Why would/should I accept the word of a man claiming to hear voices without anyone else around to confirm these things were said?

Because it is NOTclaim as you claiming ...

You mean that you want one heard Mohammed when revealed to him his Lord by Jibreel ...!!!

You want to bring to you person from 1400 years tells us about it?

Why do you have another thought ?!!! like ....


All that we have about Islam, even today it is recorded by whom they was with Muhammad (peace be upon him )as His wives ...as his companions

his companions who was recording to revelation from (Koran )and the sayings of Muhammad (peace be upon him )


Now we believe in the feelings Although we did not see pictures of feelings can not hear voice to the feelings also


In the Christian faith many believe the stories of the Old Testament where we often read that god spoke to men while in solitude. We read stories of Abraham who [we are told] claimed he encountered revelations from god while no other person was present to hear or see anything. In fact, with the story of Issac's near murder at the hands of his father, up to a point we only read about Abraham and Issac yet we are told the story even though Abraham nor Isac wrote anything. Who was there to hear what god told Abraham? Same with the story of Job. Who was up in heaven to hear the conversation between god and satan?

you still person is present to hear or see anything

All that happened before the creation of Adam, peace be upon him exist in the Koran and all the stories of the prophets in the Koran also

Certainly you say It is not true then I saying to you Which was revealed to the Prophet 1400 years is found in the Koran we have today

Was there someone who knows that? I say you ..YES as I said above

are his companions who record the revelation which be (Quran)

The Quran the only book that did not enter it any distort or change as The Torah and the Gospel


Why would I want to put my faith in any man or religion that basically started by people who claimed to hear voices? I don't do it in any other area of my life. This is forever my road block to EVER accepting these religions as something even worthy of a second look.

Because it is by God not by himself

just you change to The mode of perception you have

atheist's Problem that he/she is atheist without evidence


jmooool
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top