Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 08:57 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,003,946 times

Advertisements

According to the accounts, Muhammad claimed he heard voices (an angel) speaking to him in a cave. What he claims was revealed to him has become the foundation faith of billions of people.

In no other walk of life do I accept ANYTHING a person tells me if he says a voice spoke to him or her to tell me this or that. Why would/should I accept the word of a man claiming to hear voices without anyone else around to confirm these things were said?

In the Christian faith many believe the stories of the Old Testament where we often read that god spoke to men while in solitude. We read stories of Abraham who [we are told] claimed he encountered revelations from god while no other person was present to hear or see anything. In fact, with the story of Issac's near murder at the hands of his father, up to a point we only read about Abraham and Issac yet we are told the story even though Abraham nor Isac wrote anything. Who was there to hear what god told Abraham? Same with the story of Job. Who was up in heaven to hear the conversation between god and satan?

Why would I want to put my faith in any man or religion that basically started by people who claimed to hear voices? I don't do it in any other area of my life. This is forever my road block to EVER accepting these religions as something even worthy of a second look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 09:08 AM

55 posts, read 125,584 times
Ever person believes his Father is the one who "he knows and was informed" by his/her mom - No Kid/person Investigates and tries to find who is the real father coz he has faith in his/her Mom

I hope this helps you ! If this didnt answer or help you then i am sorry I cant help you more

if you dont understand then may be i didnt find good words to express my self

Old 03-08-2010, 09:37 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Problematic?

Boy are we being charitable these days.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:47 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,887,735 times
If you knew someone today who said they talked to God or heard voices, chances are you'd assume they had a mental illness. Yet according to the Bible, God talked to people all the time. I guess believers in the bible just assume people weren't mentally ill back then, or God just stopped talking to people.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:50 AM

33,531 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
If you knew someone today who said they talked to God or heard voices, chances are you'd assume they had a mental illness. Yet according to the Bible, God talked to people all the time. I guess believers in the bible just assume people weren't mentally ill back then, or God just stopped talking to people.
Stopped? There are still quite a few that claim that God speaks to them

Old 03-08-2010, 10:07 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,887,735 times
Are we talking metaphorically or actual speaking? I have never met a religious person who claimed to have actual conversations with God or other supernatural entities.

However, I know plenty of religious folks who claim that God spoke to them by a breeze blowing past them when they were praying or they saw a rainbow after a loved ones funeral. I don't think that's indicitive of mental illness at all, although I see those things as coinceidence and not divine communication.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:12 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,737,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
Are we talking metaphorically or actual speaking? I have never met a religious person who claimed to have actual conversations with God or other supernatural entities.

However, I know plenty of religious folks who claim that God spoke to them by a breeze blowing past them when they were praying or they saw a rainbow after a loved ones funeral. I don't think that's indicitive of mental illness at all, although I see those things as coinceidence and not divine communication.
I see it as a lot of wishful thinking and, sometimes, hysteria.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:14 AM

33,531 posts, read 37,136,097 times
There are folks right here on CD who have made these claims.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...voice-god.html

Old 03-08-2010, 10:31 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,439,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
According to the accounts, Muhammad claimed he heard voices (an angel) speaking to him in a cave. What he claims was revealed to him has become the foundation faith of billions of people.

In no other walk of life do I accept ANYTHING a person tells me if he says a voice spoke to him or her to tell me this or that. Why would/should I accept the word of a man claiming to hear voices without anyone else around to confirm these things were said?

In the Christian faith many believe the stories of the Old Testament where we often read that god spoke to men while in solitude. We read stories of Abraham who [we are told] claimed he encountered revelations from god while no other person was present to hear or see anything. In fact, with the story of Issac's near murder at the hands of his father, up to a point we only read about Abraham and Issac yet we are told the story even though Abraham nor Isac wrote anything. Who was there to hear what god told Abraham? Same with the story of Job. Who was up in heaven to hear the conversation between god and satan?

Why would I want to put my faith in any man or religion that basically started by people who claimed to hear voices? I don't do it in any other area of my life. This is forever my road block to EVER accepting these religions as something even worthy of a second look.
There are some instances in the bible where people were told something individually by God, but this is not true for all of the book.

The story of Job takes place in the desert between modern Israel and Egypt. Probably somewhere in Gaza, just after the flood of Noah's day. It does not say that Satan was in heaven when God spoke to him. The book of Job says that the "Sons of God" came together and Satan was in the midst. Adam was a "Son of God" according to the bible and so was any other man who was righteous before God. So anyone of these could have recorded the conversation between God and Satan at this Gathering of righteous men.

Abraham and Issac both knew of what God had said. Either could have told Jacob and his decendants.

There are many instances where God speaks to a multitude of people. For example God wanted to talk to the children of Israel, but when he spoke they ran away. So God told Moses to come up alone and he would give the commandment to him. The people said to Moses that whatever God tells you we will do.

God wrote with his hand upon the wall in the Kings court to signify the new reign of Darius the Mede. To which Daniel with summoned to interpret. All of the court saw it.

God Spoke when Jesus was baptized and all present could hear a voice from heaven say "This is my beloved Son in whom I am well pleased" or when Jesus was transfigure on the mount, The three disciple heard a voice saying "This is my Son in whom I am well peased, hear ye him".

So, your theory that God only talks to individuals, is erroneous and unsupported when it comes to Yahweh God of the Christian bible (and Jewish Torah).

Old 03-08-2010, 10:54 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,003,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
There are some instances in the bible where people were told something individually by God, but this is not true for all of the book.

The story of Job takes place in the desert between modern Israel and Egypt. Probably somewhere in Gaza, just after the flood of Noah's day. It does not say that Satan was in heaven when God spoke to him. The book of Job says that the "Sons of God" came together and Satan was in the midst. Adam was a "Son of God" according to the bible and so was any other man who was righteous before God. So anyone of these could have recorded the conversation between God and Satan at this Gathering of righteous men.

Abraham and Issac both knew of what God had said. Either could have told Jacob and his decendants.

There are many instances where God speaks to a multitude of people. For example God wanted to talk to the children of Israel, but when he spoke they ran away. So God told Moses to come up alone and he would give the commandment to him. The people said to Moses that whatever God tells you we will do.

God wrote with his hand upon the wall in the Kings court to signify the new reign of Darius the Mede. To which Daniel with summoned to interpret. All of the court saw it.

God Spoke when Jesus was baptized and all present could hear a voice from heaven say "This is my beloved Son in whom I am well pleased" or when Jesus was transfigure on the mount, The three disciple heard a voice saying "This is my Son in whom I am well peased, hear ye him".

So, your theory that God only talks to individuals, is erroneous and unsupported when it comes to Yahweh God of the Christian bible (and Jewish Torah).
If you believe all this wild, incredulous guess-work driven speculation, please be my guest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality