U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 01:07 PM

4,983 posts, read 7,762,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvenie View Post
Buddha is not a god. Please correct your misconception that he is. Thanks.
Not being a Buddhist, I can't really speak with authority, but I can speak as an outside observer with regard to the type Buddhism as commonly practiced in Thailand. My wife is a Thai Buddhist. The word Thais use to describe God (whether Christianity, Hinduism, etc.) is "Phra jao". It means god. In the past, Thais regarded their kings as gods. The term used to describe the Buddha is "Phra buddha jao", which is basically describing the Buddha as a god. It should also be noted that within Thailand, Buddhism functions much in much the same way as other religions. Thais go to Buddhist temples ("wats"), pray to Buddha, have ritualistic chants, and hold ceremonies such as marriage, funeral, etc., like any other religion. The Buddha is regarded as sacred. So, yeah, I would say that most Buddhist Thais seem to think of the Buddha as a man who reached a god-like level, and in their view is pretty much equivalent to the Christian view of God.

There are different forms of Buddhism much in the same way that there are different forms of Christianity. The predominant religious form in Thailand is Theravada Buddhism, which is practiced by about 95% of the population. Islam is around 4%, Christianity is about 0.5%, and the rest being all other religions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 10:51 PM

2,708 posts, read 2,983,980 times
I may be mistaken, but I thought a buddah was an enlightened one which for some is akin to god. It is possibly like shades of grey or degrees of godliness?

Actually, I do not think that a fully enlightened being could manifest in one human and might need to spread it around a bit. Like too much voltage can blow up a battery.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:41 AM

240 posts, read 336,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
I may be mistaken, but I thought a buddah was an enlightened one which for some is akin to god. It is possibly like shades of grey or degrees of godliness?

Actually, I do not think that a fully enlightened being could manifest in one human and might need to spread it around a bit. Like too much voltage can blow up a battery.
Not really the voltage but the current and of course excess buildup of thermal energy caused by the current going through a resistance that results in battery blowing.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:59 PM

37,496 posts, read 25,232,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustNobody View Post
Not really the voltage but the current and of course excess buildup of thermal energy caused by the current going through a resistance that results in battery blowing.
Thankfully . . . our consciousness exists in the "perfect fluid" of the universe and no such thermal build-up is possible.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:12 PM

2,708 posts, read 2,983,980 times
Maybe, but the finite energy of the human infant is not enough to contain the vastness of a being who is enlightened, so although both may exist in the universe, one cannot 'fit' into the other without some downstepping or splitting of energy and so what can be done?

Old 09-05-2015, 08:01 PM

1 posts, read 539 times
Default Reply to comment by achickenchaser (jimmiej's post)

I'm replying to this thread many years later, and the current Pope (Francis) addressed this issue of whether, or how, it is believed that non-Christians can enter heaven (in short, he explains, by living a very good life, such as love for fellow man, charity, forgiveness, and other virtues.)

To the Editor, not sure if you will find the next paragraph appropriate for this forum:

I do understand how some may view this as heresy, given that some Biblical passages/teachings, in isolation, seem to contradict other passages, this is an attempt to understand the larger, composite message. ....it is recognized that a " non- Christian" can live an exceedingly "good" life that is in accordance with the wisdom and same truths found in Christ's teachings. Likewise, many people declaring themselves Christians are clearly not living their lives as good people. The following is an effort to explain (but not preach) my interpretation of the Chirch's emphasis on ALSO being a Christian: Anyone who has developed a true, personal relationship with Christ will tell you that it can't really be understood by mere words, without the actual experience; hence the emphasis on the profound faith component, which is instrumental in transforming people's lives. Basic concepts of Christianity like forgiveness, loving others, charity, etc., can be extremely challenging to put into practice throughout life. On a practical level alone, more formal practices such as regular devotion, prayer, meditation, reflection, can help one adhere to these principles. (While, on the faith level, keeping connected to Christ will lead and keep you in the direction of a higher level of enlightenment and truth.)

This article addresses Pope Francis' statements on the issue, but you may need to cut and paste this address:
Pope Francis says atheists can do good and go to heaven too! - Living Faith - Home & Family - News - Catholic Online

If this article isn't permitted, Pope Francis' statement on this issue can be found with a simple Internet search.

Old 09-05-2015, 08:22 PM

23,278 posts, read 12,061,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piano Teacher 2 View Post
I'm replying to this thread many years later, and the current Pope (Francis) addressed this issue of whether, or how, it is believed that non-Christians can enter heaven (in short, he explains, by living a very good life, such as love for fellow man, charity, forgiveness, and other virtues.)

To the Editor, not sure if you will find the next paragraph appropriate for this forum:

I do understand how some may view this as heresy, given that some Biblical passages/teachings, in isolation, seem to contradict other passages, this is an attempt to understand the larger, composite message. ....it is recognized that a " non- Christian" can live an exceedingly "good" life that is in accordance with the wisdom and same truths found in Christ's teachings. Likewise, many people declaring themselves Christians are clearly not living their lives as good people. The following is an effort to explain (but not preach) my interpretation of the Chirch's emphasis on ALSO being a Christian: Anyone who has developed a true, personal relationship with Christ will tell you that it can't really be understood by mere words, without the actual experience; hence the emphasis on the profound faith component, which is instrumental in transforming people's lives. Basic concepts of Christianity like forgiveness, loving others, charity, etc., can be extremely challenging to put into practice throughout life. On a practical level alone, more formal practices such as regular devotion, prayer, meditation, reflection, can help one adhere to these principles. (While, on the faith level, keeping connected to Christ will lead and keep you in the direction of a higher level of enlightenment and truth.)

This article addresses Pope Francis' statements on the issue, but you may need to cut and paste this address:
Pope Francis says atheists can do good and go to heaven too! - Living Faith - Home & Family - News - Catholic Online

If this article isn't permitted, Pope Francis' statement on this issue can be found with a simple Internet search.
You are well-meaning. Which I consider more important than the message.

Welcome to the forum. Hang around a while. Get comfy.

Old 09-06-2015, 02:49 AM

18,290 posts, read 18,539,506 times
I see this as just one more piece of proselytizing.
If one is an atheist, why would they care one whit about a supposed heaven??
If this message comforts you in some way, I'd say you aren't very sure of your beliefs.

Old 09-06-2015, 04:40 AM

12,638 posts, read 10,739,738 times
I have read about 80 NDE's and many books.

Much of the time people come back having seen, thus, have a feeling
of knowing, no particular religion means much of anything!
Some go back to whatever they feel comfortable in, no reason to stop hanging
with your friends at church...others drop org religions.
Some atheists (like the famous Howard Storm) become believers having met a shockingly
loving, forgiving , understanding being they didn't realize at the time was Jesus.

One of so many interviews: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...8421FC26E9A4C1

Old 09-06-2015, 08:34 AM

15,007 posts, read 7,534,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I have read about 80 NDE's and many books.

Much of the time people come back having seen, thus, have a feeling
of knowing, no particular religion means much of anything!
Some go back to whatever they feel comfortable in, no reason to stop hanging
with your friends at church...others drop org religions.
Some atheists (like the famous Howard Storm) become believers having met a shockingly
loving, forgiving , understanding being they didn't realize at the time was Jesus.

One of so many interviews: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...8421FC26E9A4C1
The interview doesn't seem to follow what you're saying about people coming out of NDEs knowing that no particular religion means anything. Based on that interview, Storm is peddling the "believe in Jesus or else" version of Christianity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or