U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 05:06 PM

5,165 posts, read 8,080,306 times

Advertisements

This is a spin-off from the other thread. I notice a lot of Christians bring up alleged incidents of NDE's making atheists become Christians. Ok, well think about this.

Say an atheist (or even a Christian) has an NDE in which they communicate with "god" (assuming there is one) and this god tells them that Islam, Hinduism, or some religion other than Christianity is the true religion; and Christianity is false. Would you consider their "experience" legitimate?

If you say no, then it should be obvious to you why nonbelievers don't think NDE's make your beliefs any more legitimate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 05:45 PM

1,745 posts, read 1,826,840 times
I'm betting it would be disregarded as a deception by satan..

Old 03-09-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
I'm betting it would be disregarded as a deception by satan..
Doesn't matter. Opening that can of worms wouldn't change the point at all.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:24 PM

15,141 posts, read 8,229,213 times
Is there a documented instance where this has happened?

Old 03-09-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Note the world "alleged".

Old 03-09-2010, 08:47 PM

3,614 posts, read 2,951,508 times
Quote:
My understanding of NDEs are that the experience is extremely vivid, surreal, and highly subjective. NDEs are not all experiences of God, but tend to be trancelike states, Out of body experiences, flight, falling, intense and bright lights, etc.

Considering the same experiences expressed by those that have had NDEs can be reproduced with a centrifuge, I don't put any weight into the revelatory nature of NDEs.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:05 PM

2,708 posts, read 2,983,980 times
Quote:
Considering the same experiences expressed by those that have had NDEs can be reproduced with a centrifuge,....
That's interesting.... so a centrifuge can make you feel completely peaceful, hear voices, see/feel other non-materialised beings and somehow you get to understand what they have said AS WELL AS being able to see/hear what is being said in and around the area?

Actually, I think that there may be some effects produced by a centrifuge but I do not think that it produces all the experiences documented by those who have had NDEs. You probably get to experience the light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel effect as you are passing out and as all the blood rushes to/away from your brain.

Maybe a link to the effects produced by centrifuges would be useful here so that we can discuss them?

Old 03-09-2010, 10:51 PM

240 posts, read 336,630 times
Space Medicine In Project Mercury, CH4-2 "The chief consequences were believed to be disorientation, hallucinations, and psychological adjustment failures, of which disorientation was the most difficult to assess"

James Whinnery - near-death experiences from gravity The Trigger of Gravity Dr. James Winnery's NDE research

Old 03-10-2010, 08:35 AM

1,276 posts, read 2,905,984 times
As someone who had a NDE, I will never believe that it was just due to lack of oxygen, ect. There are reported cases where the person having the NDE "saw and heard" things that deny scientific explination. The individual I'm thinking of was unconscious with his eyes taped shut in the OR yet was able to describe everything in the OR including the Dr.'s strange posture, and habits. I find the NDEs make me less, much less inclined to believe in organized religion as that does not seem to matter. What matters is how one conducted one's life and how they treated others while on Earth. Religious affilliation does not seem to matter one bit. I do believe everyone possesses a soul, religion is unimportant other than maybe it provides some with a moral compass but many Athiests possess this as well and don't need comandments in order to be moral. In the end it's all about how we treated and helped others. Many so called Christians(& other religious types) are in for a rude awakening as claiming moral superiority while damning others is not the way to treat people. Please don't flame, this is only my experience but it has changed my life. Take care!

Old 03-10-2010, 01:29 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,805,458 times
Quote:
There have been studies done on NDEs from various different cultures. Nearly every time, the NDE was synonymous with whatever religious beliefs one had. People who picked the "wrong god" didn't end up seeing the flames of hell.

This puts "Jesus is the only way!!!!" folks in a bad spot: Either NDEs are complete bs; there's more than one true religion, or, if we really want to get silly here, any positive NDEs by non-Jesus freaks are being deceived by Satan.

I tend to think there's no way of knowing what happens after this life, although I definitely lean towards the eternal nap theory. Nobody has ever truly been dead and came back from the other side. And when I say dead, I mean DEAD. No close calls allowed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or