U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 04:25 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,051,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm...mabeynot View Post

How would you find out?
I'm not sure, but personal visions, revelations and the text of 6th century BCE goat herders wouldn't be one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 04:41 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,805,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm...mabeynot View Post
I see the world as divided up into kingdoms...a realm if you will. You have the realm of science, history, and so on. Science only examines the physical. Anything that is not "stuff" or the effect of "stuff" is out of the realm of science.

I guess (if you only think in physical terms) there is nothing that isn't "stuff".

Therefore one would have to come to the conclusion that there is no God.

But what if there is something besides "stuff"?

How would you find out?
Maybe a little LSD, meditation, and becoming one with the cosmos? Who knows. It might be worth a try.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:34 PM

200 posts, read 258,622 times
To be or not to be ...

"Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing end them? To die: to sleep; no more; and by sleep to say we end the heartache and the thousand mortal shocks that flesh is heir to, 'tis a consumation devoutly to be wished. To die,to sleep"

Then he concludes...

"To sleep,perchance to dream.Ay,theres the rub. For in that sleep of death what dreams may come when we have shuffled off this mortal coil...that dread of something after death, the undiscovered country from whose bourn no traveller returns, puzzels the will and makes us rather bear those ills we have rather than fly to others that we know not of.

Thus concience makes cowards of us all."

Old 04-10-2010, 06:27 PM

608 posts, read 515,156 times
Okay, so you who propound the theory of evolution are telling people that the theory is just about how existing already existing species give rise to latter species.

And I am asking you whether you are also into what is more challenging how life prior to species of life comes to give rise to species of life.

But you keep saying that the theory of evolution is into the how existing species of organisms give rise to latter species of organisms.

Okay, I get you that the theory is only about the existing species of organisms giving rise to latter species of organisms, but not the explanation of how the phenomenon of life when there were no species yet gave rise to the appearance of species.

Okay, I get you and I still see that it is not any terrific theory at all.

Perhaps you might want to postulate the theory how when life began it was already in the form of various species.

Now that is a much more really explanatory theory of the origin of species.

Ryrge

Old 04-10-2010, 06:34 PM

2,782 posts, read 3,637,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryrge View Post
Okay, so you who propound the theory of evolution are telling people that the theory is just about how existing already existing species give rise to latter species.

And I am asking you whether you are also into what is more challenging how life prior to species of life comes to give rise to species of life.

But you keep saying that the theory of evolution is into the how existing species of organisms give rise to latter species of organisms.

Okay, I get you that the theory is only about the existing species of organisms giving rise to latter species of organisms, but not the explanation of how the phenomenon of life when there were no species yet gave rise to the appearance of species.

Okay, I get you and I still see that it is not any terrific theory at all.

Perhaps you might want to postulate the theory how when life began it was already in the form of various species.

Now that is a much more really explanatory theory of the origin of species.

Ryrge
Claim CB090:

Evolution is baseless without a good theory of abiogenesis, which it does not have. Source:

Mastropaolo, J., 1998 (2 Nov.). Re: The evolutionist: liar, believer in miracles, king of criminals. Evolution - November 1998: Re: The Evolutionist: Liar, Believer In Miracles, King of Criminals.
Response:

1. The theory of evolution applies as long as life exists. How that life came to exist is not relevant to evolution. Claiming that evolution does not apply without a theory of abiogenesis makes as much sense as saying that umbrellas do not work without a theory of meteorology.
  2. Abiogenesis is a fact. Regardless of how you imagine it happened (note that creation is a theory of abiogenesis), it is a fact that there once was no life on earth and that now there is. Thus, even if evolution needs abiogenesis, it has it.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:02 PM

3,614 posts, read 2,951,040 times
Thank you GPlex for pulling out the all inclusive Creationist Claims from Talk Origins Archive. I love that site.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:34 PM

815 posts, read 1,339,082 times
To me speak that if there were no modern religions. The mankind would use for a long time telepathy...
Why? Because these religions have gone on a technical way, capital accumulation . It not a correct way of evolution.
"When that evolution and spiritual was one concept -" wizards ". This period is called vedical. It was possible to become God, the Creator. And for example Christianity and the technocracy created by them it not a correct way. It serves the capital and the power. We see they have not brought the general happiness on the earth. It kills itself. Then comes back to a way of spiritual evolution - a way : " the wizard "."

Last edited by eloy; 04-11-2010 at 02:49 PM..

Old 04-11-2010, 03:22 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,161,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
The Apostle Paul built his whole theology on two men, Adam and Christ. If evolution is true, then the biblical account, and Adam, is false. It all falls apart.
Why would it 'fall apart'? I simply don't understand why one cannot believe (as I do) that God created this world, the universe and life, then set evolution into play to ensure the survivability of His creation.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:34 PM

815 posts, read 1,339,082 times
Because that "God" from the Bible is God of Death. With such ease kills two born children to a national sign..... God killing the children cannot be the Father! That "God" interferes with development of spiritual evolution! When Adam and Eve could be as Gods (to Reach spiritual evolution). That "God" puts on a way of texnocratic evolution - deadlock, self-destruction. Then he chooses a creature of the most impudent, without the pity, capable to deceive relatives and tsars. Also begins material enrichment. I would tell. That that "God" the confessor of all atheists and materialists.
Not what spiritual development.

Last edited by eloy; 04-11-2010 at 03:52 PM..

Old 04-11-2010, 07:23 PM

608 posts, read 515,156 times
Default Religion is philosophy but evolution is an attempt at science.

This thread is about religion and evolution.

Religion is about things beyond the immediate reach of man's sense experience, many of them are conclusions however remote from inferences on things immediately accessible to man with his sense experience.

Evolution as a theory in science is concerned with things that are in the immediate reach of man's sense experience, specifically how already extant life species give rise to latter species.

In this respect it can be said that religion has a broader picture of things than evolution, because religion goes to the question that is not immediately within the reach of man's sense experience, namely, who is the author of life species, and hence, of evolution.

Is that a legitimate question? Who is the author of life species?

I submit it is, and it is a part of man's philosophical quest, the search for the ultimate anchorings of everything that exists or can exist or must exist in the light of man's curiosity for explanations.

That is why proponents of evolution do not go into the philosophy of evolution, because they are not into philosophy and they choose not to go into philosophy.

Ryrge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality