Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 08:55 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
I don't know where you get 3 positiblities let alone four. . . It is either
A) Jesus is the Son of God as he claimed or
B) He is a liar and a fraud.

You can play "what ifs" and hypotheticals if you like but why try and muddy the playing field?
You are right, either He was who He said He was or He wasn't.And if He was a liar then the whole Bible is a lie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 08:58 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
You are right, either He was who He said He was or He wasn't.And if He was a liar then the whole Bible is a lie.
No, in that case, the whole Bible would not be a lie, just the New Testament.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:59 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
There is a fourth possibility: That Jesus was a person who preached certain things, obtained something of a fringe following and after he died, reached mythological proportions. This is pretty common--
If He preached what the only source we have for His actual teachings say He taught, He was either blaspheming, crazy(still blaspheming), or telling the truth.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
If He preached what the only source we have for His actual teachings say He taught, He was either blaspheming, crazy(still blaspheming), or telling the truth.
Right, the only source we have. The collection of writings chosen out of quite a few, of which many were kept from the final creation of the New Testament.** So, yes, the only sources we have (bound in the Bible) say he taught these things. He himself didn't write these things down, obviously, so one can't assign the onus of either being God or being a blasphemer to him. It is other people who said that he said and did all those things.

So, yet again...insisting that these are the only possibilities is flawed.

**ETA: So right there you already have *other people* deciding what was truth and what wasn't--people who weren't actually there.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Right, the only source we have. The collection of writings chosen out of quite a few, of which many were kept from the final creation of the New Testament.
Well, those extra biblical books are available to be read, if one wants to. Can you quote me something 'supposedly' taught by Jesus there that wouldn't constitute blasphemy if He wasn't who he said He was?

It's been my view, that those extra biblical books paint a skewed view of salvation and our relationship to God, not so much variance in the words of Christ. It appears you have something in mind that totally contradicts what's held in the Bible regarding JUST Christ's words. I'd love to know what you're looking at.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:25 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
Quote:
No, in that case, the whole Bible would not be a lie, just the New Testament.
No the whole Bible would be a lie because the OT prophesied about Jesus.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Well, those extra biblical books are available to be read, if one wants to. Can you quote me something 'supposedly' taught by Jesus there that wouldn't constitute blasphemy if He wasn't who he said He was?

It's been my view, that those extra biblical books paint a skewed view of salvation and our relationship to God, not so much variance in the words of Christ. It appears you have something in mind that totally contradicts what's held in the Bible regarding JUST Christ's words. I'd love to know what you're looking at.
I'm totally confused by your question. I've read it twice. I think...well, let me think. "Can you quote me something supposedly taught by Jesus there that wouldn't constitute blasphemy if He wasn't who He said He was?" Oh, yes. Most of the parables. They were stories with morals to them. They taught valuable lessons. Is that what you mean? As far as adding on the "I and my father are one," or "Nobody gets to heaven except through me" (I think that's the quote), yes, those would be blasphemy, again, if he did in fact even say them. I'm still not 100% sure if that's what you're asking but hopefully I'm explaining what you wanted to know.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
No the whole Bible would be a lie because the OT prophesied about Jesus.
No, because the OT didn't prophesy about Jesus specifically, it prophesied about the messiah, and in this case Jesus wouldn't have been the messiah. That wouldn't make the OT wrong; in fact Jews are still awaiting the messiah. It would make the belief that Jesus was the messiah wrong.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:32 PM

Quote:
I'm totally confused by your question. I've read it twice. I think...well, let me think. "Can you quote me something supposedly taught by Jesus there that wouldn't constitute blasphemy if He wasn't who He said He was?" Oh, yes. Most of the parables. They were stories with morals to them. They taught valuable lessons. Is that what you mean? As far as adding on the "I and my father are one," or "Nobody gets to heaven except through me" (I think that's the quote), yes, those would be blasphemy, again, if he did in fact even say them. I'm still not 100% sure if that's what you're asking but hopefully I'm explaining what you wanted to know.
Yes you did answer/explain what I was asking.

The implication of your series of posts, IMO, was that there was some 'missing' writing that gave us a view of Christ that allowed some kind of alternate view.

I guess what you are implying is that you don't think you can trust the Bible to tell us who Jesus was or what He said. If that's what you meant then why even talk about Jesus because apart from a few historical documents that confirm His physical existence, the Bible is all we've got.

And if you reject the Bible's Jesus, then the OP is OT and the rest of us are SOL.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:34 PM

Why should people who don't believe Jesus was the messiah, answer this post?

Well, because the point of the post was whether we should try to act as Jesus is said to have acted, even if we're not Christian.

I pretty much thought the post was about non-Christians. From the original post: So the question is: Even if you don't believe in Him as savior, why not live as he taught us to? Also she said the assumption is (for the sake of this argument) that Jesus wasn't the savior. So...now I'm doubly confused as to your questions, A.

I'm not sure what answer you're looking for...? This was to be opinion-only and I presented all my posts as opinion-only, and stated possibilities as just that, possibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality