U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 09:37 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,527,571 times

Advertisements

The unpardonable sin is when man transgresses on God's position: by ascribing an equal to Him or an associate or a patron or another being and worship such being together with God Almighty; this is against the First Commandment: Do not take other gods with Me.

This is unpardonable; all other sins is pardonable when man repents and reforms his guilt and his sin and his acts.

The Universe and the Quran
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 07:19 PM

200 posts, read 258,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibata View Post
The Holy Spirit convicts of sin. To tell the Holy Spirit that one is not a sinner, or to refuse to repent, means that forgiveness cannot be appropriated. Refusal to accept the gospel is the unforgivable sin. All other sins have been forgiven.

I agree

Old 03-18-2010, 09:04 PM

11 posts, read 15,612 times
Jesus made it very clear what the unforgivable sin is. If you read the ENTIRE text it takes place at ( not just one passage). The religious leaders of that time said that Jesus was doing these signs because he was of satan. So He warned them. It is attribuiting the things that the Holy Spirit is and does to satan. Whichis also a complete and total rejection of the Holy Sprit. It has been said if you ever fear that you have committed this sin, you haven't.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:25 PM

7,088 posts, read 12,711,785 times
The Unpardonable Sin

I've felt it would be falling for the christian belief structure. It is certainly an insult to intelligence.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:53 PM

21,282 posts, read 20,911,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
Today I've been an atheist for twenty-five years. I am healthy, take no regular medicine at all, my eyesight is restored, I am in control of my diet, married to a great lady and my best friend, two great kids, I work a good job that I like for good pay that keeps my kids in private school, I can walk into any social situation and choose my level of engagement, I'm confident, happy, have a house in the 'burbs and my biggest problem is grumping about politics.

The very moment I rejected my religion, everything turned around. It wasn't always easy, but everything in my life began to improve the very moment I turned away from religion and god and all of it.

How was that possible?
I don't know, but I'd sure like to hear how you think it happened. I'm trying to see a correlation between your atheism and all the great things that have come from it. The part about the improvement in your health and eyesight is especially intriguing.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:32 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,316,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanedaman09 View Post
Jesus made it very clear what the unforgivable sin is. If you read the ENTIRE text it takes place at ( not just one passage). The religious leaders of that time said that Jesus was doing these signs because he was of satan.
That's a very dangerous teaching, because it effectively exonerates many who will never be forgiven, and blasphemes Jesus' atonement. The Pharisees did not believe that Jesus was of Satan. On the contrary, they said that he was of Satan because he made them feel guilt for their sins! Any reaction against that feeling of guilt is unforgivable, because forgiveness can be appropriated only by the contrite. Many say that Jesus was a good man, but will never be forgiven. Billions even say that Jesus is the Christ, but despite that commit the unforgivable sin by refusing to repent and accept his salvation. Refusing to acknowledge one's sins, and to be tearfully mortified by their awfulness, is the only sin that cannot be forgiven. All others are already forgiven on the cross.

"Blessed are you who weep now, because you shall laugh. Woe to you who laugh now, because you shall mourn and weep."

Old 03-19-2010, 08:05 AM

2,893 posts, read 5,171,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I don't know, but I'd sure like to hear how you think it happened. I'm trying to see a correlation between your atheism and all the great things that have come from it. The part about the improvement in your health and eyesight is especially intriguing.

It's actually quite simple. One the day I unconverted, I took control of my own life. Instead of giving my life to god to run (into the ground), I began living life for me.

I spent many years being told that I wasn't good enough for god. That I was evil, and a sinner, and I deserved hell and that while god commanded to be as much like him as possible, there was no way I could ever actually succeed.

That kind of pressure on a seven-year-old is pretty intense. The depression that it lead to was completely debilitating. The worse it got, the more I was told to trust in god it would all be better, yet it only got worse.

When I recognized that god doesn't exist, it was as though a great veil had been torn from my eyes. And for the first time in years, I actually felt alive. I mean really alive. There was a whole new world out there, and I was free. The leaden shackles on me had disappeared.

I began to care for myself. I began to feel good about myself. I started doing some exercises and building up some muscle. I stopped taking all my medications and confronted my health issues through physical and mental fortitude.

And my eyes, the continued to worsen until I was nearly twice over legally blind. Instead of trusting god, I saved up a lot of hard earned cash and went under the knife, four surgeries total.

I began talking to people, as practice, and I did very badly at it, but I realized that if I was going to enjoy this life I had better be able to talk to people. After all, this is the only life I have. I am now living it for me, and not for god. And people are part of it.

It wasn't all perfect, of course. There were hard times, times where I was eating bread on a credit card, times of heartbreak and disappointment. But then there was the day when I looked at a mountain and I said, "I'm climbing that. And I'm doing it NOW!"

I've never climbed anything taller than a stepladder before. But grabbed a water bottle and cut a stick and began climbing. Three hours later I covered over 700 feet of elevation to a peak overlooking the ocean. The top of my world. Then I headed back down and found out just how far I had come from my religion. Dropping down from one ledge, the boulder I landed on gave way. I turned and grabbed, sinking my fingers into dirt and rock, and I heard that boulder crash away for a very long time. I was hanging on the side of a mountain by my fingers, alone, with no one knowing where I was. And I looked for rescue. I looked at my arm. That arm that had been lifting heavy weights for years, the sinews sticking out in tension, the veins popped from the exertion. And I thought, the only thing between death and life is the blood, muscle, and tendons of this arm. If it fails, I die.

Well, I'm still here today, so you know how it ends. But that moment cemented everything I had been learning since my deconversion five years earlier. I am healthy and happy and productive not because of any god, but because I chose and acted in my best interests. I took opportunities where they came, and made them when they didn't.

Through all of this, I discovered something. I'm a bit of an curmudgeon. I'm eccentric. I have unusual priorities and thoughts on many subjects that most people don't understand or don't agree with. But I like being me. I like the humor I've developed. I like the priorities I've set. I like the moral code I've chosen to live by. I like me because I finally learned that was okay to like me. I am not evil, or a sinner, or worthy of damnation and scorn and despair. I am not trash or garbage. I am not lost. I am not hopeless. I am not filthy. I am not pitiful. I am who I have chosen to be, and I'm not ashamed.

As it turned out, religion was completely wrong. I was actually born okay the first time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality