U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 07:27 PM

831 posts, read 1,682,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud235 View Post
Isn't it true? Why worship something like that?
Because you will be ostracized if you don't or at least do not proclaim to believe in a god. It is easier to not think for one's self and to just go along with "conventional wisdom" and to be just one of the sheep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 10:48 PM

1,719 posts, read 3,627,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Maybe if our government had imbraced some of the Biblical principals as a nation, we would not find ourselves in the trouble we do now.
Yeah, I would absolutely love to live under a theocracy.

Quote:
The God I believe in, has contacted me, and has proven Himself to me on numerous occasions. Once He reminded me to pray about getting a job, and as soon as I finished my prayer and said the (A) of Amen. The phone next to me started to ring, and when I picked up that phone. I got the job. And I was still on my knees. Another time, He interrupted me while I was in the middle of a prayer, and told me my wife was going to have a child. Four hours later, my wife and I discovered she was pregnant.
You are a member of the choir who is aching for any sign you can see. Of course such circumstantial occurrences are going to jump out at you. And, the 9/11 hijackers had God talking to them as well. This analogy shows what I think of people who claim to receive guidance or messages from the spiritual realm.

Quote:
And not having sex before marriage, often helps to bring about a more stable society, where children are actually loved, and other children are not rip apart in abortion clinics. And that is one of the reasons, the Biblical God said to keep sex within the marriage.
Screw that. I like to **** and I don't feel like getting married.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:30 AM

7,654 posts, read 9,681,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
I would rather prefer a secular national government which keeps each religion to its own devices and protects all people. However, considering we already have blue-laws, I don't think anyone actually kept to that ideal. I can guarantee you wouldn't want Islamic principles in our nations government, why would I want Christian ones?

I hear drinking bleach will cure cancer. Don't worry about scientific evidence and rigorous testing, I know it to be true because I am aware of how bleach interacts with cancerous tissue. We should enact laws based on this.

Anecdote not supported by third-party independent investigation. I once heard that eating the heart of a lion can extend your life by 30 years. You have to kill the lion with your bare hands though in order to maintain the structural integrity of the heart's valves.

One time, at band camp... Telling fanciful stories doesn't actually help you at all. I can think of a number of things that don't involve supernatural entities to explain your coincidences, namely of which, is a coincidence. There are a number of crazy things going on at any one time, it would be a coincidence not to have a coincidence. Of course, auditory hallucinations are nothing new for devout theists.

Big words. Got evidence that premarital sex destroys societies? That children are not loved by unwed parents? That--well I have no doubt you're anti-choice so I won't bother with that argument, it just goes around and around.

1. If politicians loved their neighbor more then themselves, then I believe we would have a better nation.

2. And the stories I tell, are not fanciful, but truthful. Which may be something you have little intrest in. And my accounts, have nothing to do with coincidences.

3. And I can think of at least 50 million children that have been aborted just here in America. And that is because their parents did not want them after premarital sex. Maybe the fun of sex is of greater importance to you then the life of a child. Yet the God of the Bible, does not see it that way.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:53 AM

3,614 posts, read 2,954,198 times
Quote:
1. If politicians loved their neighbor more then themselves, then I believe we would have a better nation.
Are you opposed to single-payer health care?

Quote:
2. And the stories I tell, are not fanciful, but truthful. Which may be something you have little intrest in. And my accounts, have nothing to do with coincidences.
Sure, they can be true. If you take your stories as proof of God, you'd have to take every prayer request to any god that turns out beneficial to be proof of those gods. People pray to Allah all the time. I hear Krisha is a popular character out East. There are a slew of traditional African gods that are prayed to and worshiped (including goat slaughters! Woo!) that yield beneficial results. Are these prayers also evidence of their gods?

Quote:
3. And I can think of at least 50 million children that have been aborted just here in America. And that is because their parents did not want them after premarital sex.
The greatest number of abortions in the United States is in the south--The Bible Belt. Feel free to explain your Christian morality now.

Quote:
Maybe the fun of sex is of greater importance to you then the life of a child. Yet the God of the Bible, does not see it that way.
The freedom of a woman's body is more important than the undeveloped fetus. We are not having an abortion debate on this thread. Keep it relevant to the topic at hand.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:24 PM

7,654 posts, read 9,681,293 times
Quote:
Are you opposed to single-payer health care?

Sure, they can be true. If you take your stories as proof of God, you'd have to take every prayer request to any god that turns out beneficial to be proof of those gods. People pray to Allah all the time. I hear Krisha is a popular character out East. There are a slew of traditional African gods that are prayed to and worshiped (including goat slaughters! Woo!) that yield beneficial results. Are these prayers also evidence of their gods?

The greatest number of abortions in the United States is in the south--The Bible Belt. Feel free to explain your Christian morality now.

The freedom of a woman's body is more important than the undeveloped fetus. We are not having an abortion debate on this thread. Keep it relevant to the topic at hand.

I don't care who claims to be in the south, west, north, or east. Real faith is not determined by state lines. And if personal freedom has more value to you than a human life, thats your problem. And Jesus Christ is the only God I know, who is appearing to people in their dreams around the globe, and telling these real seekers of God, to follow Him. And that is evidence, of a REAL GOD. A REAL God, will reveal Himself to those who seek Him. Just as He did with me, and countless others.

Muslims Are Seeing Jesus During Ramadan ę Afghanjohn’s Weblog

Old 03-14-2010, 12:32 PM

11,449 posts, read 13,927,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Put yourself in the position of an omniscient Creator. Would you really feel obligated to "prove" yourself to your creations?
Are you serious?

Old 03-14-2010, 12:52 PM

768 posts, read 934,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
He's God. He's always existed. He has no beginning or end. Remember however, God exists outside of time as we know it.

"The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth" (Isaiah 40:28).

"But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day" (2 Peter 3:8)

Those two verses do not state that God exists outside of time; they just demonstrate a different perception of time on Godís part. So which is it? Does God exist outside of time, making all actions on Godís part incoherent and meaningless, or does God exist in time, granted a different time schema, in which case, wouldnít God be bound by time, making time a god over God in a sense?

Old 03-15-2010, 10:06 PM

3,614 posts, read 2,954,198 times
Quote:
I don't care who claims to be in the south, west, north, or east. Real faith is not determined by state lines.
What? You can't pander your "superior morals" when religious people have more abortions.

Quote:
And if personal freedom has more value to you than a human life, thats your problem.
If you want to discuss abortion, create a new thread.

Quote:
And Jesus Christ is the only God I know, who is appearing to people in their dreams around the globe, and telling these real seekers of God, to follow Him. And that is evidence, of a REAL GOD. A REAL God, will reveal Himself to those who seek Him. Just as He did with me, and countless others.
Muslims Are Seeing Jesus During Ramadan ę Afghanjohnís Weblog[/quote]

Let's see, sources for this Christian Blog article include the Christian Post and Christian World News...excellent third party information I must say.

Ask any religious person of a different faith if there prayers are answered by their god-of-choice. I can guarantee they will say yes.

I don't speak Hindi, so I probably won't be able to provide relevant Hindu articles pertaining to the matter, but I've had tons of English speaking Hindus tell me that Krishna answers their prayers.

So. Again, Krishna answering the prayers of those that follow the Hindu faith: evidence for Krishna or not?

Old 03-16-2010, 04:35 PM

5,165 posts, read 8,086,027 times
Quote:
I don't speak Hindi, so I probably won't be able to provide relevant Hindu articles pertaining to the matter, but I've had tons of English speaking Hindus tell me that Krishna answers their prayers.

So. Again, Krishna answering the prayers of those that follow the Hindu faith: evidence for Krishna or not?
No, it's just Satan deceiving them.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:46 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,087,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberleutnant View Post
Because you will be ostracized if you don't or at least do not proclaim to believe in a god. It is easier to not think for one's self and to just go along with "conventional wisdom" and to be just one of the sheep.
Oh, goodness yes!

If I had a dime for every aghast look of disbelief when I tell someone that I am an atheist.

If I had a dime for every Christian who proudly announced that they would pray for my salvation or that I would find god or some other such unsolicited and unwelcome intrusion into my personal life.

I would be as rich as Bill Gates (ok that's an exaggeration).

I was at a political meeting recently when some preacher stood to give a prayer, when I on one of those rare occasions refused to hold hands with some woman, not out of disrespect, or a statement of my atheism but rather because I had some a bit more pressing to do, I was castigated for my rudeness. Not of a second did this woman consider the rudeness of assuming that was a Muslim or a Buddhist or some other religions much less being an atheist!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality