U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-18-2010, 09:54 AM
 
702 posts, read 812,565 times
Reputation: 88

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asilas29 View Post
Thank you for your reply Methodmatriarch, as you can see, never once on here was I "trowing" (who's the genius) stones. I simply asked a question and and got the responses that I was looking for. Do I believe in "hell fire," no! Do I believe that Jehovah would have made "hell fire" abundantly clear to Adam and Eve in the very beginning, absolutly! Do all animals go to either heaven or hell? Because in Ecclesiastes 3: 18-22 tells us that we all have the same eventuality. Ecclesiastes 9: 10 tells us that we are ALL going to She'ol. Please read Ecclesiastes 9: 5,6 &10, because in that chapter it says that the dead are conscious of nothing, so why would one who is not conscious be punished? Palmes 146: 4, when a man dies, his thoughts perish. Genisis 3:19 is a good one as well, states nothing of being tortured. Romans 5:12 is probably my favorite, the wages for sin is death. Again, sates NOTHING of being tortured. John 11:11, the dead are at risk, they do not suffer.

Anyways, Thank you!
I hadn't seen this before I posted my last response. This confirms what I suspected: You had already apparently formulated your view, and when you saw some biblical responses that affirm eternal hell, you rejected them and focused on OT passages. What about the NT passages that were cited? Are you going to sweep them under the carpet?

Aside from that, if you're really interested in studying this matter in depth, I suggest purchasing some books on it and doing a full study.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-18-2010, 09:57 AM
 
702 posts, read 812,565 times
Reputation: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
One that Jesus would not have believed and would categorically reject.
And yet he affirmed it repeatedly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2010, 09:59 AM
 
5 posts, read 4,436 times
Reputation: 12
All religions do not say or beleive the same. We have those that beleive in hellfire-those that don't-the trinity, heavenly rewards, statues, cross, 10% to the church, paid preachers, holidays, blood, etc-so it is up to the individual to search out and find the truth-Jesus gave his life for one true and eternal faith-upon research you will find it was the religious leaders of that time that condemed him to death-he was a threat to their laid back and comfortable life-just as today-as long as the masses or kept in the dark the religious leaders live a comfy life-but this was foretold as well-Jesus said many would stand before him and say "Lord did we not preach in your name did we not perform miracles in your name"-His reply-GET AWAY FROM ME- I know you not-we all have to take responsibility for ourselves and know this-Jesus died for one religion-The True one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2010, 02:06 PM
 
1,838 posts, read 1,932,978 times
Reputation: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jremy View Post
And yet he affirmed it repeatedly.
Jesus also said LOVE your enemy- do you think that a God whold ask someone to LOVE his enemy would send not only bad people but really good people -to an eternity in hellfire

you have to work it out foryourself the bible is a book that had been changed and butcherd over the years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2010, 02:21 PM
 
702 posts, read 812,565 times
Reputation: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
Jesus also said LOVE your enemy- do you think that a God whold ask someone to LOVE his enemy would send not only bad people but really good people -to an eternity in hellfire.
Like I said, this topic has been debated (and probably still is!) over in the Christianity subforum. Suffice it to say that your argument doesn't work because it takes into account only one attribute of God, his love, while overlooking his justice and holiness. Another flaw in your reasoning is that nobody is "really good."

Quote:
you have to work it out foryourself the bible is a book that had been changed and butcherd over the years
Thank you, but I've already worked it out. Show me a specific instance in which the Bible has been "changed and butchered."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2010, 04:55 PM
 
Location: Camberville
11,405 posts, read 16,022,823 times
Reputation: 18075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jremy View Post
And yet he affirmed it repeatedly.
He did not write the New Testament, did he?

If he was a good Jew, then he would not have believed it. If he believed it, he was not a good Jew and I'm fairly certain even less qualified to be the messiah than he currently is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2010, 05:08 PM
 
Location: North Carolina
52 posts, read 72,510 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jremy View Post
I hadn't seen this before I posted my last response. This confirms what I suspected: You had already apparently formulated your view, and when you saw some biblical responses that affirm eternal hell, you rejected them and focused on OT passages. What about the NT passages that were cited? Are you going to sweep them under the carpet?

Aside from that, if you're really interested in studying this matter in depth, I suggest purchasing some books on it and doing a full study.

I guess I could ask you the same question. What about the OT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2010, 07:29 AM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
13,914 posts, read 9,672,130 times
Reputation: 2404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jremy View Post
Suffice it to say that your argument doesn't work because it takes into account only one attribute of God, his love, while overlooking his justice and holiness.
Justice?? It's all based on the most UN-just of principles - punishing people for something they had no hand in!! Punishing the children for the crimes of the parents!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2010, 06:39 PM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
100 posts, read 125,308 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by asilas29 View Post
Where EXACTLY in the Bible does it say that one can endure a firey hell? Not that we are surely to die, I just want an exact scripture stating that one can burn in hell.

I'm sure this is going to start a fire storm, not my intent.

Thank you!
This should be the answer you are looking for.

Revelation 21:8



But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2010, 06:41 PM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
100 posts, read 125,308 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jremy View Post
Like I said, this topic has been debated (and probably still is!) over in the Christianity subforum. Suffice it to say that your argument doesn't work because it takes into account only one attribute of God, his love, while overlooking his justice and holiness. Another flaw in your reasoning is that nobody is "really good."

Thank you, but I've already worked it out. Show me a specific instance in which the Bible has been "changed and butchered."
The Bible has been changed over the years. That is why it is smart to NOT purchase or read one of those versions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top