Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 11:16 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,458,259 times

Advertisements

From an atheist:

To survive and pass on your genes. Period, that's it end of story. That's the way all of nature works and so do we.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 11:46 PM

56 posts, read 206,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
We are really here on this planet to live for Jesus and then in turn, we hopefully will be better to our fellow man and be decent members of society. There are many people though that are non-believers that do good works.

I truly believe the only reason God put us on this Earth to know His Son and do our best to live like He did although we will never be able to be that good. There just can't be any other reason in my opinion.

At the end, one doesn't just die but lives eternally.
I put the wrong quote in here so sorry if it does not follow this one. I think that guy was being funny. Anyway My ultimate goals revolve around helping others by whatever means I can. If it means visiting a small Kansas town leveled by a tornedo and helping them clean up or helping out at a local neighborhood as a mentor to troubled youth, it would fulfill my goals. Helping others in need is an often overlooked bright spot in this country when it seems that everyone is worried about gas prices, real estate prices andparis hilton going to jail. We need to get back to basics!

Old 06-05-2007, 01:08 AM

743 posts, read 2,233,888 times
The purpose of life is eternal life w/ God. How we achieve that in this world:

To love God with all your heart, mind, soul and strength.
To love your neighbor as yourself.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:13 AM

743 posts, read 2,233,888 times
Or maybe the purpose of life is to pay taxes

Old 06-05-2007, 07:02 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
Default Religion and Philosophy

I'm of the opinion that I don't know if there is a God and if so, what this means. I have heard discussions of God as judging individual actions, total behavior, non-judgmental, and indifferent. Of these, I guess my sentiment is that too many things in life, and life itself, are difficult to explain without a God. If this were a vote, I would probably come down on the side of a non-judgmental God.

But I think all points (including non-believers) have some good thoughts behind them. I believe that all folks deserve respect, both believers and non, and that everyone should be able to discuss their points of view without being dismissive nor judgmental of others. I enjoy learning other points of view, perhaps providing me with new insights. But I hate lectures.

As far as the point of life, my take is that you should do a couple of things, try to make the world and the life of those around you better by your existence, and to treat others fairly and with compassion. This doesn't mean you should let anybody take advantage of you or use you, it is an evaluative process in which you assist others emotionally, physically or financially in the hope that they will assist others when needed too.

Raising three children through adulthood, with one being mentally handicapped, has allowed me to evolve new insights into life. Going through a positive long term marriage (going on 35 years) and dealing with aging and subsequently dying parents has also given me new insights and challenges. Being nice to each other is important to me, much more so now than when I was much younger. There is more to life than just "keeping score" or "winning." This includes financial, debates or power over others.

I feel sorry for folks who never get past this mindset. They truly are living a deprived life.

BTW - Outstanding post by jabogitlu!

Old 06-05-2007, 07:10 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,489,780 times
Sorry but I don't buy that for one minute. Everyone has a purpose and maybe you haven't found your yet but I if you are created in the image of God you cannot be worthless.

The Bible tells us that when we seek the Lord he will find us. I truly believe that if you are a believer and you pray for God's guidance, he will show you your purpose.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
For someone worthless like me, I'm not sure there is a point.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:17 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,489,780 times
Jeremiah 29:11-13

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD , "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope hope and a future.
Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.
You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

And there are many, many references in the NT as to why Jesus came. He came so that you could have life and have it more abundantly. Jesus thought you were worthy enough to come and die for.

I honestly don't know anything about you, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt because it may or may not apply to your particular situation.

1. Who are you hanging out with? Are they God-fearing, Christ honoring people who love the Lord and want the best for you? If not, it is time to move on.

2. Have you saught the Lord's guidance in your life and asked him what he wants you to do with your life? Playing the victim will never get anyone anywhere and really focuses on the self, which is where Jesus does not want us to be.

3. If you truly do suffer from depression, maybe you need to seek some Christian counseling or even medication for a while. Some people do need it for a time in their lives.

I am in no way perfect. These points I made are for me as much as for any Christian.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
I appreciate your words, but you really don't know why I feel the way I do.

Yes, I very much consider myself to be worthless. There is nothing in my life to make me feel like I could be of any use to anyone, or make any kind of difference. I'm not good at anything, and virtually everyone in my life is negatively influenced by me in some way or another. I'm made to feel like I'm wrong about everything, and that I don't know how to do anything right.

As for God having a plan for everyone, I don't know that I really believe that. Where does it specifically state that in the Bible?

Old 06-05-2007, 07:22 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,621,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
No, I didn't say that or even insinuate that at all
All kinds of people do all kinds of good works! Geesh, even Bill Gates donates LOTS of money to charities. I in no way meant that only Christians do good works and no one else does...but good works alone do not get you into Heaven
I'm sorry! I didn't mean to irritate you, (apparently, I've been sticking my foot in my mouth lately!). I didn't really think that's what you mean't; I was actually being a little facetious, because I thought how you said it came out funny. You know, ha! ha!??

Old 06-05-2007, 10:42 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,183,316 times
There is no standardaized purpose to life. It's is an individaul decision. But first, you must decide if you want to be an individual or join the herd.
Being an individual takes courage.
For me the purpose of life is to experience, think, learn, and grow.
No biblical quotes will change that, because they are nothing more than biblical quotes. I can find many absurdities, inconsistensies, and contradictions to biblical quotes.
I don't believe in "God's plans for me", because there are none.
In order to understand this one must be aware of what happens on this planet and give these events some thought. One example...some years ago a tropical storm killed about 10,000 coastal inhabitants of a Central American country. The newspaper had a photo of a devasted area with dead bodies, to which I think an appropriate caption would have been, "God's plans for them".
Those who believe in the "God's plans" idea usually ignore such events. Because it that case, "God's plans" seem absurd.
How do you know that it is not in God's plans that you should die in a fiery plane crash, be killed by a tornado, be murdered, or spend years slowly and painfully dying from a disease? I would certainly not like to be subject to such plans.
Why is it that believers always point out happy, successful, suburban families to illustrate the point of "God's plans"? There's more in this world than you want to see or think about.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:47 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,458,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
The Bible tells us that when we seek the Lord he will find us. I truly believe that if you are a believer and you pray for God's guidance, he will show you your purpose.

Dawn
I truly believe that when people are looking for God's guidance they are typically in the worst of situations. Usually they are either trodden with deaths in the family, down and out on their luck, poor, hungry, etc...

I don't think that a multi-billionaire just wakes up one day and starts searching for God. I also think that as soon as this person has something good happen to them they feel it is the work of God. I have gone my entire life without believing in God or searching for God and you know what? Everything I have done I have done for myself through careful planning of my future. I took responsibility for my own actions and laid it out. To leave it in the hands of God is lazy and you will get nothing accomplished.

Ask God to buy your house for you. Wait for it. Keep waiting. Come on God this will help me get through all my financial troubles. Come on! Nothing will happen unless you actually do something. It's a cause and effect. You do something good for yourself and it will come around full swing not because of God but because you set yourself up for success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality