U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-25-2010, 12:15 PM
 
31,385 posts, read 31,062,067 times
Reputation: 14878

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibata View Post
"it is an internal issue"

and yet:

"Apparently church scholars on both sides of this argument find support for their position in the Bible."

Looks like a rather prominent nose, to me.
Nice try, but within the context that the question was raised on this thread you are simply wrong.

The issue here is whether or not morality can only emanate from a supreme being as theist insist, a proposition which many of us disagree. To illustrate that point, we are simply pointing out the disparate views of morality as proffered by the various theist religions, primarily in this case, Christians.

Quote:
It is outsiders who decide that there is disagreement, if not dissension, among Christians. It is presumably homosexuals who decide that, because Christians cannot decide, they can practice their sexuality.

Not that Christians have any interest in what they do, anyway.
Well that is a strange and contradictory statement. First of all outsiders haven decided that there is a disagreement, any half-wit with a television and access to a newspaper knows that within the Christian community there is a raging debate over homosexuality.

Further, if there isn't a Christian interest in what homosexuals do, why is it that Christians are in the forefront of opposing gay and lesbian rights and why do they use the Bible as justification for that opposition?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-25-2010, 12:35 PM
 
1,243 posts, read 1,315,790 times
Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
the context that the question was raised on this thread
That's irrelevant. Your own absurd contradiction is relevant!

Quote:
The issue here is whether or not morality can only emanate from a supreme being as theist insist, a proposition which many of us disagree.
See #56. The thread was effectively over at that point. For intellectuals, anyway.

But of course waffle and misrepresentation attend wherever there are skeptics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2010, 12:37 PM
 
31,385 posts, read 31,062,067 times
Reputation: 14878
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibata View Post

See #56. The thread was effectively over at that point. For intellectuals, anyway.

But of course waffle and misrepresentation attend wherever there are skeptics.
Your ego aside, others disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2010, 12:42 PM
 
3,614 posts, read 2,951,912 times
Reputation: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibata View Post
That's irrelevant. Your own absurd contradiction is relevant!

See #56. The thread was effectively over at that point. For intellectuals, anyway.

But of course waffle and misrepresentation attend wherever there are skeptics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibata - Post #56
Christians believe that God created moral code when he created molecules and energy- that is why moral code is just about the same everywhere, varied mostly by local conditions.

Christianity is not about moral code- it is about salving conscience that is disturbed by breaking moral code.
We disagree that there is an absolute moral code as proposed by Christians, as is evident from the way Christianity can't get their **** together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2010, 12:44 PM
 
1,243 posts, read 1,315,790 times
Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
We disagree that there is an absolute moral code as proposed by Christians, as is evident from the way Christianity can't get their **** together.
Your argument is circular. A falsehood, a 'truth' of your own invention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2010, 12:46 PM
 
3,614 posts, read 2,951,912 times
Reputation: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibata View Post
Your argument is circular. A falsehood, a 'truth' of your own invention.
Sorry, that is the most obvious evidence. One could easily present the evolution of morality as the second most obvious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2010, 01:12 PM
 
1,243 posts, read 1,315,790 times
Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Sorry, that is the most obvious evidence.
Not evidence. Wishful thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2010, 03:11 PM
 
3,614 posts, read 2,951,912 times
Reputation: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibata View Post
Not evidence. Wishful thinking.
What. Christians today and throughout history have never agreed on what constitutes moral behavior and what doesn't. That isn't wishful thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2010, 03:38 PM
 
10,652 posts, read 11,348,357 times
Reputation: 6011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Just curious.
I am dazzled at how arrogant and condescending your initial question is. So you assume that the moral stances Christians take are not logical or well reasoned?

Just curious....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2010, 03:39 PM
 
1,243 posts, read 1,315,790 times
Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
What. Christians today and throughout history have never agreed on what constitutes moral behavior and what doesn't. That isn't wishful thinking.
Anyone who thinks that Christian history will be written before the last day is in cloud-cuckoo land, or is of the Deceiver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top