U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-01-2010, 12:06 AM
 
3,614 posts, read 2,956,661 times
Reputation: 909

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
so show me your logic and reason that produces meaning from a meaningless existence,
That is not in the scope of the thread, and the answers we have provided in the past you've blown off.
Quote:
morality (right or wrong)
We've already done so.

Quote:
in a completely purposeless and accidental existence.
Despite already having done so, this is not in the scope of this thread. Your argument is the same as saying "evolution doesn't explain the origins of life, so it's wrong."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-01-2010, 12:07 AM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,042 posts, read 30,733,533 times
Reputation: 12223
Sheesh, What is wrong with you Mystic? You must have a burr in your butt....If you are not insulting you are condescending.

There is NO moral issue that cannot be resolved with reason and logic...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2010, 12:47 AM
 
37,615 posts, read 25,312,999 times
Reputation: 5860
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Sheesh, What is wrong with you Mystic? You must have a burr in your butt....If you are not insulting you are condescending.

There is NO moral issue that cannot be resolved with reason and logic...
Sorry you feel that way . . . I am being neither on purpose. But the arbitrary refusal to address the central issue of morality . . . the rationality of its very existence in a meaningless existence . . . is repeatedly tossed off as not germane . . . ONLY because there is no logic or reason that can possibly be used to explain it. If you introspect your views honestly . . . you do this on every fundamental issue. You cannot justify your positions but you desperately want to reject the existence of the only conceivable basis for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2010, 12:49 AM
 
3,614 posts, read 2,956,661 times
Reputation: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Sorry you feel that way . . . I am being neither on purpose. But the arbitrary refusal to address the central issue of morality . . . the rationality of its very existence in a meaningless existence . . . is repeatedly tossed off as not germane . . . ONLY because there is no logic or reason that can possibly be used to explain it. If you introspect your views honestly . . . you do this on every fundamental issue. You cannot justify your positions but you desperately want to reject the existence of the only conceivable basis for them.
And I explained to you why knowing why we exist instead of not exist is entirely irrelevant to the question of absolute versus relative morality. Evolution happened, how life got here doesn't really matter to that process. Morality is relative, why we see the need for morality isn't really relevant.

Stay on topic or I'm blocking you again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2010, 01:09 AM
 
37,615 posts, read 25,312,999 times
Reputation: 5860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
And I explained to you why knowing why we exist instead of not exist is entirely irrelevant to the question of absolute versus relative morality.
You EXPLAINED nothing . . . you simply asserted . . . as you have done yet again. It is called ignore what you cannot explain and dodge until the annoying questions cease.
Quote:
Evolution happened, how life got here doesn't really matter to that process. Stay on topic or I'm blocking you again.
You are the only one going off topic. No one is talking about evolution here . . . just more of your distraction, dodging and weaving. Block away, Konraden . . . you have no answers and refuse even to try to produce any.
Quote:
Morality is relative, why we see the need for morality isn't really relevant.
Again . . . assertion without explanation . . . which you will subsequently claim as explanation. So predictable. If there is no basis for a morality to even exist . . . then arbitrarily establishing it is pointless. As long as human life is meaningless and accidental . . . nothing about it can be called moral or immoral. The dominant "accidents" decide all the issues arbitrarily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2010, 07:41 AM
 
5,463 posts, read 5,791,767 times
Reputation: 1803
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Except you know that I have and found them ALL equally arbitrary and without merit. IF the basic raison d'etre for life cannot be established as something more than accident . . . whatever happens or does not happen to it is completely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.
What's the alleged "grand scheme of things" you're going on about? I can't make heads or tails of what you're trying to get across other than the idea of not having some arbitrary purpose given to you by a father figure makes you squeamish.

Quote:
They can quibble amongst themselves and arbitrarily educe whatever nonsense they wish . . . but it would be nonsense nonetheless!
Yes, the morals of most god-believers is on a pretty shaky footing, as shown by their actions. Calling them names isn't going to get you very far in life, though.

Last edited by KCfromNC; 04-01-2010 at 07:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2010, 07:48 AM
 
5,463 posts, read 5,791,767 times
Reputation: 1803
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I figured it couldn't hurt to make it easier to read . . . in case you had some disability in that regard. But you apparently cannot even identify what is an answer and what is a dodge. It is YOUR thread and YOUR PREMISE . . . so show me your logic and reason that produces meaning from a meaningless existence, morality (right or wrong) in a completely purposeless and accidental existence.
You're the only one here saying life is completely purposeless. It's not everyone else's fault that you lack the motivation to give your life meaning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2010, 08:54 AM
 
3,614 posts, read 2,956,661 times
Reputation: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You EXPLAINED nothing . . . you simply asserted . . . as you have done yet again. It is called ignore what you cannot explain and dodge until the annoying questions cease. You are the only one going off topic. No one is talking about evolution here . . . just more of your distraction, dodging and weaving. Block away, Konraden . . . you have no answers and refuse even to try to produce any. Again . . . assertion without explanation . . . which you will subsequently claim as explanation. So predictable. If there is no basis for a morality to even exist . . . then arbitrarily establishing it is pointless. As long as human life is meaningless and accidental . . . nothing about it can be called moral or immoral. The dominant "accidents" decide all the issues arbitrarily.


I know Mystic that you are not that dense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2010, 10:31 AM
 
37,615 posts, read 25,312,999 times
Reputation: 5860
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
What's the alleged "grand scheme of things" you're going on about? I can't make heads or tails of what you're trying to get across other than the idea of not having some arbitrary purpose given to you by a father figure makes you squeamish.
Where do you come up with these ideas. No one is squeamish about anything. Either there IS or there IS NOT a raison d'etre for human life (or all life for that matter) . . . no "father figures" necessary. IF as you assert there IS NOT . . . then all your talk and incomplete rationalizations about morality are moot and have NO logic or reason to them, period.
Quote:
Yes, the morals of most god-believers is on a pretty shaky footing, as shown by their actions. Calling them names isn't going to get you very far in life, though.
IF as you assert there IS NO raison d'etre for human life ALL morals have NO FOOTING whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2010, 10:40 AM
 
433 posts, read 515,679 times
Reputation: 91
Religion is all faith-based. There is no rationality involved.

Religious "moral values and worldview" is just another name for religious codes -- most of are absurdities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top