U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 09:28 AM

7,916 posts, read 16,402,170 times

Advertisements

Religious texts were written by men who lived in an age when women were very subservient to men and looked upon as second class citizens who had no authority. I can't imagine a man living in those times whose upbringing wouldn't have instilled in him the concept that the highest authority of all, God, had to be a male by his very position as the most powerful force in the universe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 09:36 AM

3,540 posts, read 5,960,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Religious texts were written by men who lived in an age when women were very subservient to men and looked upon as second class citizens who had no authority. I can't imagine a man living in those times whose upbringing wouldn't have instilled in him the concept that the highest authority of all, God, had to be a male by his very position as the most powerful force in the universe.
Those writers obviously never knew my mother-in law

Old 03-14-2010, 10:14 AM

4,349 posts, read 6,488,308 times
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2007/03/30/2007-03-30_choc_full_o_anger_.html

I know this is not as convincing as it would be if made from aged cheese, but here is a link to the statue of Jesus in Chocolate which shows his male member. If the world of chocolate addicts see him this way how could you question his gender. Remember they are the same group who do the Easter rabbit, and the chocolate Santa’s too. If you question one than you would have to question them all!

Old 03-14-2010, 10:09 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,035,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Fathers are male. He's our "Father in Heaven."
Why does God have to be Father? I use the term createor. If we are created in the image of God, male and female we were created in God's image, how can we define God as just a male? That is putting human traits onto a God that is anything but human.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:12 PM

680 posts, read 1,167,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud235 View Post
...next time someone says "my imaginary tyrant shall have wrath again if you don't do it", just say "and I shall kick your imaginary tyrant on his nuts!"
Good suggestion.

I was recently in an open-discussion group where people were talking about "Him" and when it was my turn to talk, I asked if God has a penis. There was a bit of nervous giggling and a lot of looks of shock and horror.

As for those who responded that "God is our Loving Father..."

Well, I guess I should be happy for everyone who finds comfort in whatever comforts them, as long as they're not doing harm to themselves or others.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:11 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,159,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
1. Ancient religious texts were mostly written by sexist men.

2. The male gender is used as a general title in today's society. Human's are also referred to as "man". In health books, babies are referred to as him or he even if the gender is unknown.
Same goes with animals. And pretty much everything else that is personalised except ships and countries .

Old 03-15-2010, 06:32 AM

11,686 posts, read 13,087,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Quite so, Arjay. Last thing the Church wants to do is de-pacify the minions, eh? Who is more commanding when you've been involved in some mischief? Who do you have to go see for your punishment? Why "dad" of course. "Mom" is just too soft a touch for effective obedience training.
Unless your Mom is Kali, perhaps.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I do think it is curious, and very interesting, that the Hindu traditions did eventually produce a goddess figure who was every bit as powerful and strong as the male god/s.

Kali/Durga/etc. certainly give Siva and the other guys a good run for the money when it comes to power.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
God is Soul, and only Soul, which has in it all the attributes of Love and wisdom and thought for the welfare of His creatures. He is a thinking and seeing God, and all the energies of His Soul are used to make men better and happier. As is the natural father of the man a personal father, so is the Great Soul of God, a Personal Father to all his children; and men when they have the development of their souls in the Divine Love will know that God is personal - something more than an all enveloping energy or force or mere manifestation of His existence.

God and His Personality (http://tinyurl.com/ykq857q - broken link)
This would make just as much sense if you replaced "his/he" with "her/she." Why aren't you talking about the natural mother, Personal Mother.....?

Old 03-15-2010, 07:25 AM

598 posts, read 810,594 times
The only well-know female deities are probably Greek's Goddesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality