U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 10:21 AM

19,865 posts, read 18,471,332 times

Advertisements

Even most monotheistic religions of today originally knew goddesses, but they were gradually eliminated from the pantheons...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 12:59 PM

458 posts, read 650,936 times
Well, a lot of folks here have pointed out some really good points about God being male/female. One of the first (supposid) conversations that took place involving a man and God was recorded as "Then "he" spoke to me" he being "GOD". I would imagine that after that the word was spead that god, the voice of a man, was a man(ish). But really, does it matter?

Old 03-15-2010, 01:07 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,273,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikeman View Post
Well, a lot of folks here have pointed out some really good points about God being male/female. One of the first (supposid) conversations that took place involving a man and God was recorded as "Then "he" spoke to me" he being "GOD". I would imagine that after that the word was spead that god, the voice of a man, was a man(ish). But really, does it matter?
Again, that is a very Judeo-Christiancentric perspective since when other gods spoke they were, a he.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:42 PM

19,865 posts, read 18,471,332 times
Since Judaism is the foundation of the big three Semitic monotheisms, it is funny to read how the beliefs have changed over time. I read that the belief in the goddess Asherah was so strong among the Jews that it took quite some time to remove her from the Jewish consciousness.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:02 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,472,211 times
Well...because in the paintings he always has a long beard and only men have long beards.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:21 PM

3,334 posts, read 5,144,397 times
Christianity's image of god comes to us from images of Zeus/Jupiter. When Rome took over Christianity, Jupiter turned into the Christian god. Pauls travels and conversion of the gentiles contributed to Zeus becoming god as well.

It is odd that there are images as one would think this violates the second commandment. Different Christian denominations apologize it away in different ways.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:39 PM

206 posts, read 351,510 times
Rome/Catholic church being the center of Christianity reminds me of the old saying, "If you can't beat them, join them" I think as Christianity was gaining steam, the elites in Rome panicked, dumped their traditional religion and adopted Christianity and continued controlling the masses and raking in the moolah!! Same game, different name!

But I guess in eastern religions, you have plenty of Goddess worship. Hinduism has a very strong Goddess tradition and Kali is often shown dancing atop a prone Shiva. I think even in Catholicism-at least in some areas-Mary is given quite a lot of importance.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:11 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,472,096 times
Quote:
Why is God always referred to as a male? It's always "He" and "Him" and "His" --- does he have male anatomy?
No! The male was the primary, the female was secondary in that society. Females played a supporting role for males. The authors created God in accordance with the role that they considered primary. It would not have made sense to create a female God.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:13 PM

921 posts, read 1,347,680 times
Why do they call it "Mother Nature"? I'm offended, please don't assign sexes to inanimate concepts.

Don't feminists have anything else to launch an attack against?

Old 03-15-2010, 06:28 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,472,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
Why do they call it "Mother Nature"? I'm offended, please don't assign sexes to inanimate concepts.
The assignment of sexes to Gods is something that began early in human history. Mother Nature/ Mother Earth is reflected in many ancient societies. It had to do with fertility, reproduction and hopes for a successful agricultural harvest. Reproductive bounty is seen as a feminine characteristic. It's not something just recently made up.

Mother Nature - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality