U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2010, 02:46 PM

6,637 posts, read 3,858,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
I must have been confused by all of the JESUS IS RISEN!!! GLORY BE!!! posts over Easter.

I question why you feel the need to hide your religious beliefs in order to try to make a point. It seems to me if you knew there was strength to them you wouldn't hide them, but maybe I'm missing something.
Read the last paragraph of my Post #153 in this thread...you must have missed that. Didn't the "GldnRule" handle, and deductive reasoning, help to give you a clue?

Also, my "rebirth" (I know you don't believe in that, but let's just set that aside for now) has JUST occurred. I'd guess you'd call me a "new" Christian. I have no denominational affiliation...I was raised Catholic in an Italian immigrant household...turned away from that when I started to gain "secular knowledge" in my early teens...unfortunately, that caused a complete falling away from Christianity, and I was HARD atheist, until very recently. I missed a lot, for many years, because I "fell away"...but I hope to make up for lost time. It's what lead me to look at this part of C-D in the first place.

But I'm curious...why do you have any interest at all in someone, (that thinks totally the opposite way you do) that you don't even know, from some obscure thread on the WWW? Not that I mind...I'll relate any of my life experiences, which are widely varied...but I was just wondering why?

All the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 07:02 AM

5,463 posts, read 5,781,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Read the last paragraph of my Post #153 in this thread...you must have missed that. Didn't the "GldnRule" handle, and deductive reasoning, help to give you a clue?
Yes, it along with all of the Jesus talk and typical creationist stuff told me you were a Christian who follows orthodox Christian beliefs but somehow believes this isn't a religion. It fits in with your redefinitions of other words to fit whatever agenda you have (faith and the variants are a big one).

As I said, it's a mystery why you think it's convincing to play word games like this but all it shows is that you're more interested in rhetorical points than clear communication.

But in any case, none of your response explains why you thought it was a good idea to play like you're not just another in a long line of Christian apologists posting here.

Quote:
But I'm curious...why do you have any interest at all in someone, (that thinks totally the opposite way you do) that you don't even know, from some obscure thread on the WWW? Not that I mind...I'll relate any of my life experiences, which are widely varied...but I was just wondering why?
Just to be clear, you're wondering why you're getting discussion on a discussion board? I figured you could use "deductive reasoning" to "help give you a clue" there.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:45 AM

Default Spirituality

Quote:
Yes, it along with all of the Jesus talk and typical creationist stuff told me you were a Christian who follows orthodox Christian beliefs but somehow believes this isn't a religion. It fits in with your redefinitions of other words to fit whatever agenda you have (faith and the variants are a big one).

As I said, it's a mystery why you think it's convincing to play word games like this but all it shows is that you're more interested in rhetorical points than clear communication.

But in any case, none of your response explains why you thought it was a good idea to play like you're not just another in a long line of Christian apologists posting here.

Just to be clear, you're wondering why you're getting discussion on a discussion board? I figured you could use "deductive reasoning" to "help give you a clue" there.
Look, if what I believe is a "religion"...I'm the only member of it. My theology doesn't fit the mold of any of the "religions" of the world. It is typical of "religions" to tell you how it is and disallow any deviation...I was raised Catholic, so I know how that game works. I guess anyone that perceives a connection to a "God"...and believes in, and agrees with Jesus Christ, can be considered "religious" in general...while not adhering to the tenants of any particular organized "sect", "cult" or whatever name one cares to use for the group of different denominations of the base concept. I suppose you could label me as having a form of religious belief...while not belonging to any religion. Spiritual, would be more like it.

And of course I expect discussion on a discussion board...what's up with a comment like that? I asked why your discussion had turned from the thoughts I posted...to why I felt I needed to post them. That's not discussing my thoughts, that's discussing me personally and WHY I think what I think, or do what I do. Like I said, I don't mind, or care...and did, in fact, answer your question...in detail...but was just wondering why you were interested. An answer to the question...like I gave to you...would have sufficed...instead of the retort. Oh, well..........

All the best.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:29 AM

13,837 posts, read 9,645,205 times
Quote:
Look, if what I believe is a "religion"...I'm the only member of it. My theology doesn't fit the mold of any of the "religions" of the world.
So tell us.

Do you believe In one god who is the maker of heaven and earth, of all that is, seen and unseen

Do you believe that Jesus the Christ is the only Son of God eternally begotten of God?

Do you believe that Jesus came for your salvation, that he came down from heaven, was incarnate of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary and became truly human?

Do you believe that Jesus was crucified under Pontius Pilate, that he rose again after 3 days and ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of God?

Do you believe that he will come again to judge the the living and the dead and his kingdom will have no end?

Old 04-06-2010, 07:49 PM

Default More Inquisition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
So tell us.

Do you believe In one god who is the maker of heaven and earth, of all that is, seen and unseen

Do you believe that Jesus the Christ is the only Son of God eternally begotten of God?

Do you believe that Jesus came for your salvation, that he came down from heaven, was incarnate of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary and became truly human?

Do you believe that Jesus was crucified under Pontius Pilate, that he rose again after 3 days and ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of God?

Do you believe that he will come again to judge the the living and the dead and his kingdom will have no end?

If you took all the denominations of Christianity, gave me all the tenants and rules, allowed me line item veto of each one, then took what was left...that's my "religion".

The "religions" of this world all require "belief according to how they say it is" to be "part" of it. Oh, they will all let you fellowship with them...just don't forget to drop a donation while you are there, and most will put the collection plate in front of you in view of everybody to assure you'll give them some scratch (which flies in the face of what Jesus told his main crew::Take nothing, you received free..you give free)...and then they'll tell you some help at the bingo game, spaghetti supper, or chicken bbq would help to "bring you into the fold".......So I don't fit in anywhere specifically.

The basics of the God/Jesus Christ concept...I intuitively feel that is the way it is...all of it. Allllllll the other stuff "religions" attach to it...I don't even consider part of the equation. So obviously I find no affiliation that is appropriate.

And now, you too Rafius?! Why do you now care about what GldnRule thinks...so specifically and individually...rather than just generally?

Here...I'll give ya sumthin' REEEEEAL good to use to crank on me about...some of the late night posts I put up during business oversight...an adult entertainment nightclub my then wife and I bought over 20 years ago in Upstate, NY...OOOOOOOOOOOH NOOOOOOOOO!!...Hey, if any of you are ever in the Mid-Hudson Valley of NY, you are more than welcome to visit...complimentary admission, on me, of course......I told you I didn't "fit in"!

All the best.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:59 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,046,755 times
I'm confused, the universe can't start from nothing, although there was nothing until god created it, but that is supposed to be starting with nothing to create something from nothing.

Now if that sentence make no sense, then you understand why I am having a problem.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:39 AM

13,837 posts, read 9,645,205 times
Quote:
If you took all the denominations of Christianity, gave me all the tenants and rules, allowed me line item veto of each one, then took what was left...that's my "religion".

The "religions" of this world all require "belief according to how they say it is" to be "part" of it. Oh, they will all let you fellowship with them...just don't forget to drop a donation while you are there, and most will put the collection plate in front of you in view of everybody to assure you'll give them some scratch (which flies in the face of what Jesus told his main crew::Take nothing, you received free..you give free)...and then they'll tell you some help at the bingo game, spaghetti supper, or chicken bbq would help to "bring you into the fold".......So I don't fit in anywhere specifically.

The basics of the God/Jesus Christ concept...I intuitively feel that is the way it is...all of it. Allllllll the other stuff "religions" attach to it...I don't even consider part of the equation. So obviously I find no affiliation that is appropriate.

And now, you too Rafius?! Why do you now care about what GldnRule thinks...so specifically and individually...rather than just generally?

Here...I'll give ya sumthin' REEEEEAL good to use to crank on me about...some of the late night posts I put up during business oversight...an adult entertainment nightclub my then wife and I bought over 20 years ago in Upstate, NY...OOOOOOOOOOOH NOOOOOOOOO!!...Hey, if any of you are ever in the Mid-Hudson Valley of NY, you are more than welcome to visit...complimentary admission, on me, of course......I told you I didn't "fit in"!

All the best.
Absolutely nothing to do with what I asked you. Try again.

Do you believe in one god who is the maker of heaven and earth, of all that is, seen and unseen?

A simple yes or no to each of the questions will suffice.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:44 AM

Default ??????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Absolutely nothing to do with what I asked you. Try again.

Do you believe in one god who is the maker of heaven and earth, of all that is, seen and unseen?

A simple yes or no to each of the questions will suffice.
I DID answer it Dude...in no uncertain terms. Reading comp issues?...pretending you don't understand?...what???:::::
"The basics of the God/Jesus Christ concept...I intuitively feel that is the way it is...all of it. Allllllll the other stuff "religions" attach to it...I don't even consider part of the equation."

There it is AGAIN. What about that (with your great intellect) don't you get?

Now answer MY question...Why do you care what I think/believe individually and personally...rather than just generally? What's up with that?

Old 04-07-2010, 06:58 AM

5,463 posts, read 5,781,996 times
Quote:
Look, if what I believe is a "religion"...I'm the only member of it. My theology doesn't fit the mold of any of the "religions" of the world.
Uh, I hate to break it to you, but professing things like HE IS RISEN on Easter fits the mold of ordinary normal Christianity pretty closely. I'm not sure why you're being so evasive and pretending you're not Christian in this thread when it's obvious from other posts that you are. It makes me wonder what else you're trying to hide, hence the probing on the matter.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:41 AM

Default Hey God! Niiiiice universe!!

Quote:
Uh, I hate to break it to you, but professing things like HE IS RISEN on Easter fits the mold of ordinary normal Christianity pretty closely. I'm not sure why you're being so evasive and pretending you're not Christian in this thread when it's obvious from other posts that you are. It makes me wonder what else you're trying to hide, hence the probing on the matter.
Nah, the Christians say...If a man steals from you...don't hold him accountable...MOF, GIVE him MORE of your stuff! Return evil for evil to no one. Don't avenge yourself or others. Bless your enemy. And if I see someone doing something wrong, and I don't point it out to them, I'm held accountable for their transgression. THAT'S NOT ME DUDE! So I don't "cut it" as a "Christian". It takes a whole lot more than just acknowledging God and J.C. Or didn't anyone ever hip you to that?

I'm not pretending anything...You must be working off your own frame of reference. But even if I was (and anyone could be, even you), how would that effect you in the grand scheme of things? Do I believe EVERY ONE of the Atheists here are some bigtime PhD scientist? Yeah, right!!! No offense, but we really don't have any REAL concern for each other beyond what we write in our posts. I'll greet someone, or wish them well, or show empathy/advice if they mention some misfortune...but, bottom line...none of us really know each other. If I died tomorrow you'd never know it, and visa-versa. I'm an interesting character, but nothing all that special...VERY FEW are. Hopefully someday you can stop by and take a visit to the club...you'd be in a good mood there!

Back to the THREAD...The Atheists say matter in the universe always was, or appeared from nothing, and organized itself through chance and time to what we have now. The Believers (most of them) say the matter was created from nothing and compelled to be organized by a "God" that always was. Neither can be sure. But the latter sure does sound like a more plausible proposition...to me anyway. Only 1 out of 10 on the planet take the former view...and from that standpoint...the Court of Overwhelming Consensus picks the latter. And since nobody else can present anything else any better to go by...on that basis...the "pick" is "God". "Prove absolutely" how "something came from nothing" otherwise, and I'll fore-go the "consensus pick" for your proof. Or gain the consensus...good luck with that.

All the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality