Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2010, 07:06 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,714,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Who are these people . . . certainly not atheists . . . because they go way beyond "I don't know" to "it can't be that it is God's design"
Who does, exactly? Again, you've obviously misunderstood what you've read.

Quote:
Perhaps as an advocate of the "don't know" crowd . . . you will explain HOW you get from "We don't know" to "it is just natural" in preference to "it is just God's design?"
God isn't indicated because there's no evidence, theory, predictions or explanations that come from including it. It's a lot of extra complexity for no improvement in results.

Quote:
instead of arguing the merits of your position or refuting their positions?
Ignoring the explanations doesn't make them go away.

Quote:
Again with the misrepresenting of the theist position as "Poof . . . God did it" when your purported vague "natural" explanation is no more than "Poof . . Nature did it." No need to pretend that the explanation given by atheism has set the bar any higher than that.
You want to compare the useful results of natural explanations to the results that have come from assuming god magically did it? I'll offer up modern medicine to start. Your turn. Practical results only, no fuzzy "but I feel good because of it" stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 07:16 AM

694 posts, read 745,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud235 View Post
(Your stats show you have posted 24 times -- may not be here on this forum)

Before you ask "how" question, you have made a presumption that there was nothing at one point, then there was something. Why do you presume such?
Three things:
1) WE presume such because either the first something came from somewhere or the first something was VERY much smaller than things are now, and it got larger in some way.

2) How does science explain going from NO life to having life?

3) The laws of motion say that resting objects have to have an OUTSIDE source to cause them to be in motion! Science is saying the phony Big Bang happened with NO outside source.

Charles

Old 04-09-2010, 07:21 AM

433 posts, read 587,130 times
Religious person have trouble use sentences in "either ... or ..." format -- the two things in the sentence must be mutually exclusive and exhaustive.

You may not be able to understand that, so refrain your self.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
God isn't indicated because there's no evidence, theory, predictions or explanations that come from including it. It's a lot of extra complexity for no improvement in results.
Including God gives us lower complexity, not more. Without God, "nature" (which for me IS God) has to laboriously figure out what is best, taking forever to do it. The fact that nature is trying different things presumes a decision-making process and a mind, yet you say there is no evidence for God. Some people just refuse to see.

Charles

Old 04-09-2010, 11:56 AM

63,799 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Who does, exactly? Again, you've obviously misunderstood what you've read. God isn't indicated because there's no evidence, theory, predictions or explanations that come from including it. It's a lot of extra complexity for no improvement in results.
Virtually every atheist prefers to assign the WHAT/WHO that enables science and produces all the evidence we have to an unexplainable WHAT instead of WHO with NO basis for doing so. Then they claim that all the evidence is therefore NOT of God but is of this unknown WHAT they call "Nature" . . . which is exactly the same as God. Just because you quibble and balk at all the OTHER things attributed to God by others that you see as unnecessary "complexity" does NOT eliminate the fact that we are talking about the same fundamental reality. All the debatable things remain debatable . . . but the EXISTENCE of God/"Nature" as the source of it all is NOT.
Quote:
You want to compare the useful results of natural explanations to the results that have come from assuming god magically did it? I'll offer up modern medicine to start. Your turn. Practical results only, no fuzzy "but I feel good because of it" stuff.
No I want to compare the useful results of God's design explanations to the results that have come from "natural" explanations . . . since they are the exact same thing!

Old 04-09-2010, 09:49 PM

Atheists can't get around the fact that we have nothing to lose by believing in God. If we are wrong, nothing will have changed. We will be as doomed as before, but if the atheists are wrong, the are doomed where, if they had believed in God, would have had a chance.

Charles

Old 04-09-2010, 10:04 PM

33,535 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Sheesh, Pascal's wager again....That's twice in one day...I disagree with you that atheists have nothing to loose by believing....After twenty years as a Christian I know what I've gained since dropping out..I've gained lots of time, peace of mind, ( no more guilt feelings ) self respect, integrity, but most of all freedom of thought and wonder at how the world and everything on it really works.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:24 PM

895 posts, read 475,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Sheesh, Pascal's wager again....That's twice in one day...I disagree with you that atheists have nothing to loose by believing....After twenty years as a Christian I know what I've gained since dropping out..I've gained lots of time, peace of mind, ( no more guilt feelings ) self respect, integrity, but most of all freedom of thought and wonder at how the world and everything on it really works.
Pretty much the same experience here. Minimally, just omitting formalized church.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:30 PM

895 posts, read 475,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
Atheists can't get around the fact that we have nothing to lose by believing in God. If we are wrong, nothing will have changed. We will be as doomed as before, but if the atheists are wrong, the are doomed where, if they had believed in God, would have had a chance.

Charles
Really depends on what you believe, there are so many thousands of different systems. Truth is most christians believe whatever is handed to them and at a very rudimentary level, based on teachings passed on to them, with minimal scholarly investigation one their own. Couple that with a profound ability to unwaveringly believe things "spiritually" that are entirely and diametrically opposed to their professional demeanor. IQ rarely seems to be related to this trait.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:33 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,649,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Yeah, I knowwwwwww... that Blaise Pascal was a reeeeeal moron...I'm sure "Sanspeurian Theory" is held in much higher esteem.

Pascal had one of the greatest minds ever. A brilliant scientist and mathematician, as well as one of the most highly regarded philosophers of his time. I wouldn't put aaaaaaany credibility in what a fool like him said...we should listen to you...you would have so much better insight.

You guys crack me up...anybody that doesn't agree with your fringe concepts is all wrong. Not much has ever been said that was more logical than Pascal's Wager. But, of course, you guys would discredit it out of spite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality