U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 09:51 PM

240 posts, read 336,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham222 View Post
Hi All

First time post. I'm open minded and my philosophy is "above all else, common sense should prevail", I am on a personal journey to find answers. Physicists tell us that energy cannot be created only transferred. So let's start at the beginning...How can something come from nothing?
Physics says energy is conserved in a closed system. If you are referencing the big bang, it started out as a theory by a Catholic priest. What is commonly presented as big bang theory violates a number of conservation laws and physical laws, so I don't really agree with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 11:04 PM

3,614 posts, read 2,954,198 times
Quote:
I don't. I never stated what I believe other than common sense should prevail I'd like to know other peoples thoughts is all.
Common sense tells you the Earth is flat, the sky is made of water, and the sun moves over the Earth. None of these are factual claims.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:03 AM

289 posts, read 260,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud235 View Post
Well, Muslims believe Allah used his magic fingers made everything, Christians believe God used his magic fingers made everything, Buddhists believe Buddha used his woody made everything ...
I admit I'm not familiar with that version of Buddhism. I was under the impression that Buddhists are more or less unconcerned about "origin of life" issues.

(Now, if that was just tongue-in-cheek, then nvm and carry on.)

Old 03-14-2010, 03:43 AM

13,914 posts, read 9,672,130 times
Quote:
Anyway I'm done in this forum already.
Well he didn't last long!! Perhaps he thought he would have us all stumped with his intellectual thought processes that conjure up questions like "how can something come from nothing".

Oh well, it gave me a smile on a boring Sunday morning.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:04 AM

5,426 posts, read 5,574,706 times
I'll tell you my theory of how the universe got here, if you tell me your theory of how God got here.

(Just don't say it's ridiculous to believe the universe always existed if you believe God always existed.)

Old 03-14-2010, 09:00 AM

2,828 posts, read 3,448,712 times
Quote:
Physicists tell us that energy cannot be created only transferred. So let's start at the beginning...How can something come from nothing?

1. Energy cannot be created only transformed (law of conservation of energy).

2 .How can something come from nothing.... referring to the universe.

Your question (#2) contradicts the fundamental law of conservation in your first statement (#1). If we take the law of conservation of energy as fact, then we have to refute the notion "that something can come from nothing." We are then left to conclude that what exists now has always existed before, in some form not necessarily like what it is now. The law of conservation of matter also applies.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:33 AM

310 posts, read 488,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud235 View Post
Buddhists believe Buddha used his woody made everything ...
No we don't.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:43 AM

1,745 posts, read 1,828,699 times
Quote:
Anyway I'm done in this forum already. Seems a bit strange that people who have no religious beliefs spend so long talking about it. I'm off to do something else. Have fun all!!!!
No more strange than people who don't have cancer spending their time trying to find a cure for it..

Old 03-14-2010, 10:03 AM

9,616 posts, read 11,075,019 times
Quote:
Hi All

First time post. I'm open minded and my philosophy is "above all else, common sense should prevail", I am on a personal journey to find answers. Physicists tell us that energy cannot be created only transferred. So let's start at the beginning...How can something come from nothing?
First, welcome to the forum! (You may regret it!)

Second: our present level of intellect simply cannot comprehend several elements of the universe around us. One is that we had to have come from somewhere, But also, that there had to have been a "nothing" to start with. Even the Abrahamic God had to have been created, tho' this key requirement is conveniently overlooked by Christian theorists.

Third: We currently cannot conceive of "no end", either in terms of the dread "infinity" of space and time, or in more basic terms: where's "the measurable end of beyond"?

The convenient solution, if you wish it to be, is to ascribe it all to God. Now, in the past I have tried to describe, in technical but straightforward terms. how my DVD recorder works to my very bright cat, Dottie The Wonder Cat. If any cat can get it, this is the one.

But sadly, nope. Even tho' the hand and mind of man figured all of the technology out, and it's all just straightforward logic design (no magic wands, no godly "nose-wriggling"), poor ol' Dottie just can't quite grasp it. She sees me as a God no doubt...

Well, sadly for her and us, that does not conflate with a default to supernatural, just a realization of man's fallibility and intellectual limitations. Which , if we were "made in the image of God", also doesn't say much for Him either.

We may eventually evolve the necessary intellect to "suss" it all out, one day saying "Oh Heavens! I GET IT!" That may also be the last day for braying organized religion, which relies entirely on the peons not knowing too much, as witnessed by it's dire hatred of much that science has provided so far.

Again, welcome.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:38 PM

13,914 posts, read 9,672,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
No more strange than people who don't have cancer spending their time trying to find a cure for it..
Brilliant repost!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality