U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 07:03 AM

5,463 posts, read 5,781,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham222 View Post
What presumption? Common sense is just common sense it is seeing something for what it is.
Common sense is just drawing up generalized rules from our everyday experiences. How many creations of the universe have you experienced recently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 07:21 AM

598 posts, read 810,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Common sense is just drawing up generalized rules from our everyday experiences. How many creations of the universe have you experienced recently?
That's not what the religious "common sense" is. The religious common sense is: when you go to the same church for all those years meet the same old people, it seems everyone agrees on the same religious matter.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:40 AM

3,614 posts, read 2,951,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud235 View Post
That's not what the religious "common sense" is. The religious common sense is: when you go to the same church for all those years meet the same old people, it seems everyone agrees on the same religious matter.
If everybody is thinking the same thing, nobody is thinking.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:11 AM

9,616 posts, read 11,062,995 times
Default Oh. I get it. Since there's been no response....

Saaayyyyy..... Whayyyyyttttt a danged minuuuuutttttt... This wasn't just another "bait and run" thread was it?

A bunch'a guys over on the Christianity sub-forum goading someone to come on over here and try to get the atheists' goat?

You know, like those kids back when we (and our minds...) were about 8 years old, and somebody had to go up and ring grouchy old Mr. Feldensteins' doorbell, and then run off? Hah hah hah?

Like that?

Old 03-15-2010, 08:57 AM

134 posts, read 84,971 times
Quote:
Hi All

First time post. I'm open minded and my philosophy is "above all else, common sense should prevail", I am on a personal journey to find answers. GodPhysicists tell us that energy cannot be created only transferred. So let's start at the beginning...How can something come from nothing?
You are right something can't come from nothing,but everything can and does comes from God as it is all laid out in the beginning book of Genesis.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:19 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,823,958 times
wilkes,
I noticed you altered Graham222 quote.
And inserted the word God in front of Physicists.

Why on earth would you do such a thing?

Last edited by Aeroman; 03-15-2010 at 10:29 AM..

Old 03-15-2010, 09:38 AM

134 posts, read 84,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
wilkes,
I noticed you altered Graham222 quote.
And inserted the word God in front of Physicists.

Why on earth would you do such a thing?
That was a an error ,typo sorry Graham,thank you for pointing that out Aeroman.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:17 AM

9,616 posts, read 11,062,995 times
Also wilkes, since you're willingly posting in the R&P sub-forum, where we openly debate each others' opinions, I assume you don't mind if we ask you a few questions about your assumptions?

I'd ask you first-off, why it is that Christian believers can't ever answer the question that naturally and logically follows their oft-repeated question about "How can something come from nothing?" As in The Big Bang, or other hypothetical beginning scenarios (science has not yet completely settled on any one of them, but remains open-minded, as always).

But when asked how their God (and/or his ancestors) has apparently existed forever, they are either speechless, or they come roaring back with a deflective and insulting ad hominem, or they say "Just because He's God, and always was!".

So, they vacillate 180˚ between requiring from science a completely logical answer, and their own illogical, supernatural, mystical "It just is!" answer. Frankly, I didn't understand this perspective for many years, but now I do.

But I'm also always curious to respectfully hear and discuss the Christian perspective. Of course, I'm also looking for a more reasoned answer than that as well. Perhaps you can bring us that one?

Old 03-15-2010, 11:42 AM

13,849 posts, read 9,648,146 times
.....and the silence was deafening!!

Old 03-15-2010, 04:48 PM

3,540 posts, read 5,959,041 times
Quote:
Hi All

First time post. I'm open minded and my philosophy is "above all else, common sense should prevail", I am on a personal journey to find answers. Physicists tell us that energy cannot be created only transferred. So let's start at the beginning...How can something come from nothing?
I heard an interesting rabbinic story which says that prior to creation, God was all that existed.
And that God needed to withdraw, in order to allow for His "creation"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality