U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-16-2010, 02:26 PM
 
Location: Sinking in the Great Salt Lake
12,904 posts, read 18,475,202 times
Reputation: 13738

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Remember the movie, I think it was called "What Dreams May Come"? I was told by a lot of Christians "That's it!" What, slipping on paint?

Well, do I have a choice? Also, what will be my physical condition? The same as when I "went out" at age 97, decrepit and falling a lot, or as I was when I worked a sawmill greenchain at age 22? But my mind wasn't as developed then as it is now, so can I pick and choose components of my past? How's about that time in the university bar when that REALLY HOT CHICK was checking out my well-sculpted greenchain muscles? Now THAT would'a been heaven, by any man's definition...

And then there's that potentially terrifying (as in: "I'm bored to death!") aspect of having to remain exactly the same FOREVER! Remember now, friends: forever's a long LONG time!
Rifleman- I'm thinking you'll end up in a place where you have to eternally debate evolution with very stubborn fundamentalist grizzly bears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-16-2010, 11:15 PM
 
Location: PRC
2,711 posts, read 2,991,309 times
Reputation: 2462
If you believe anything an orthodox religion has taught you, you will be dissappointed. I really think that they have it all backwards (or more likely that they make up what they want).

You are assuming that there IS a heaven/hell and that you go to either one or the other. You also assume that you have the same knowledge that you have now in this lifetime, rather than a composite knowledge of all your lifetimes on different planets, in different situations, in different time periods, etc.

If you think about it in a more expanded way, you will realise that what the religions teach is only a small part of the real deal and is focused on what they want you to believe for their own ends.

If there IS a life after death, it will not be playing harps for eternity with Jesus listening attentively. Sorry folks who believe this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2010, 11:35 PM
 
7,654 posts, read 9,681,293 times
Reputation: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
If you believe anything an orthodox religion has taught you, you will be dissappointed. I really think that they have it all backwards (or more likely that they make up what they want).

You are assuming that there IS a heaven/hell and that you go to either one or the other. You also assume that you have the same knowledge that you have now in this lifetime, rather than a composite knowledge of all your lifetimes on different planets, in different situations, in different time periods, etc.

If you think about it in a more expanded way, you will realise that what the religions teach is only a small part of the real deal and is focused on what they want you to believe for their own ends.

If there IS a life after death, it will not be playing harps for eternity with Jesus listening attentively. Sorry folks who believe this.


And your opinion is based on what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2010, 11:57 PM
 
Location: South Africa
1,319 posts, read 1,815,640 times
Reputation: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
And your opinion is based on what?
Its called reality.

Never thought it weird that this god-man jesus with all the attributes of his heavenly father was not able to present his followers with something like a hologram when he was quizzed about heaven and say here look... instead of talking in parables.

Seems we humans are more skilled than your jesus as we probably will perfect the hologram in a decade or two.

You xians base your entire premise of heaven based on three accounts (read:hallucinations) by Peter Paul and John.

like so much in your bible, the parable of the rich man and Lazarus has a disclaimer when the rich man begged for someone to go back and tell his brothers.

No one returns from the grave as that is it!

Its a pity xianity does not have contra indication warnings like all other drugs do...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2010, 03:42 AM
 
7,654 posts, read 9,681,293 times
Reputation: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme58 View Post
Its called reality.

Never thought it weird that this god-man jesus with all the attributes of his heavenly father was not able to present his followers with something like a hologram when he was quizzed about heaven and say here look... instead of talking in parables.

Seems we humans are more skilled than your jesus as we probably will perfect the hologram in a decade or two.

You xians base your entire premise of heaven based on three accounts (read:hallucinations) by Peter Paul and John.

like so much in your bible, the parable of the rich man and Lazarus has a disclaimer when the rich man begged for someone to go back and tell his brothers.

No one returns from the grave as that is it!

Its a pity xianity does not have contra indication warnings like all other drugs do...


One of the reasons Jesus spoke in parables, is because the Old Testament (PREDICTED) that Gods man to come, (WOULD SPEAK IN PARABLES). Is was sign to those who actually understood the Scriptures. Of course, you would have to of studied them to understand this.

I WILL OPEN MY MOUTH IN PARABLES. PSALMS 78:2

The fact is, the Bible has so much to say about the future, and it's hard for me to understand how slow someone would have to be, in order to keep missing every clue. You talk about reality, yet what kind of reality allows you to miss so much. We are speaking about hundreds of detailed prophecies. And many of these prophecies not only occured in Christ time, but are occuring today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2010, 06:06 AM
 
Location: OKC
5,426 posts, read 5,574,706 times
Reputation: 1760
The bible skillfully predicted 12 of the last 0 Armageddons.

Anyway, my life is pretty good right now. If there were really an afterlife, I would like to keep things about like they are now. I certainly don't want to have to spend the rest of eternity worshiping someone else. (If the afterlife were anything like a really long church service, I would just as soon there be no afterlife at all.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2010, 10:30 AM
 
Location: planet octupulous is nearing earths atmosphere
13,624 posts, read 10,708,986 times
Reputation: 19957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
The bible skillfully predicted 12 of the last 0 Armageddons.

Anyway, my life is pretty good right now. If there were really an afterlife, I would like to keep things about like they are now. I certainly don't want to have to spend the rest of eternity worshiping someone else. (If the afterlife were anything like a really long church service, I would just as soon there be no afterlife at all.)

if heaven exist?? i hope it's not going to be anything like this.. i would have a headache for eternity


YouTube - Pastor R.A. Vernon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2010, 03:09 PM
 
37,573 posts, read 25,275,797 times
Reputation: 5860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
The bible skillfully predicted 12 of the last 0 Armageddons.
ROFLMAO!!! That was people who did that, Boxcar . . . but this was funny nonetheless.
Quote:
Anyway, my life is pretty good right now. If there were really an afterlife, I would like to keep things about like they are now. I certainly don't want to have to spend the rest of eternity worshiping someone else. (If the afterlife were anything like a really long church service, I would just as soon there be no afterlife at all.)
I have said many times . . . it is tedious to "worship" anything for more than a few minutes. But communicating and sharing the joy, love and acceptance that is God . . . now that is a different matter. I suspect that we wil pretty much determine the quality of the after life we experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2010, 11:20 PM
 
Location: PRC
2,711 posts, read 2,991,309 times
Reputation: 2462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34
And your opinion is based on what?
What was the particular part that you did not agree with?

What kind of question is that? An opinion is just that - an opinion and is based on everything that has been experienced by me up to this date. Do you have opinions that are based on books or films or other things?

Oh.. I get it, you opinions are based on the Bible. I am sorry. Mine are not however and I have explained what they are based apon. I reserve the right to think about my opinions and change them on a whim, if they no longer work for me though - ok? I guess if yours are based on the Bible, then you have to stick to what is written and cannot change your opinions from what is written there.

That must be tough sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2010, 05:57 AM
 
7,654 posts, read 9,681,293 times
Reputation: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
What was the particular part that you did not agree with?

What kind of question is that? An opinion is just that - an opinion and is based on everything that has been experienced by me up to this date. Do you have opinions that are based on books or films or other things?

Oh.. I get it, you opinions are based on the Bible. I am sorry. Mine are not however and I have explained what they are based apon. I reserve the right to think about my opinions and change them on a whim, if they no longer work for me though - ok? I guess if yours are based on the Bible, then you have to stick to what is written and cannot change your opinions from what is written there.

That must be tough sometimes.
Well, my belief is based on a Book that is shown to be both historically, and prophetically true. If my faith was only based on a whim that can be changed. Well, I would have little confidence is such a faith. And even less confidence, that such a belief would give me safe passage into eternity.
The only thing you have explained to me, is you believe in an ancient writing that expresses a code of conduct. Yet, outside of such a code. What evidence could you show us, that this writing was Godly inspired, and promises it's followers eternal life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top