U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-08-2009, 08:56 AM

10,525 posts, read 11,860,864 times
I think the point of it is to induce fear and control people.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 09:04 AM

37 posts, read 25,453 times
be as humble as god. <---WTF!!! can u understand this because I can
Love is the key, the first step, the most important step
because when you love EVERY LITTLE THING, all life, all the atoms, all the animals all, the humans, just absolutely everything as you love yourself, you will become married (to the universe and its infinity) and will become ONE with universe and that ONE is god
or you can just die and cease existing
or die and let your energy melt with the universe and your matter to return to ash that is molecules and **** the smallest infinitely small things that compose matter. man is complex but so interesting.
good luck in your journey people

Old 05-08-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I think the point of it is to induce fear and control people.
well that is what people used the idea for. but the idea is a simple truth.
to be or not to be
exist in the universe or not (aka emptiness, no god, no matter, NOTHING)

science has the answers

Old 05-08-2009, 09:08 AM

stop beleivin in magic even miracles have an explanation but it still is gods works

Old 05-08-2009, 09:10 AM

humans dot understand a lot of things that happen and think is just magic.
that is immature and unwise.
I mean look at the people like the aztecs the really believed that the sun was god because it made the plants and **** grow.
god is in science man

Old 05-08-2009, 09:15 AM

9,621 posts, read 6,543,433 times
Default Glorg hears a sound! Run! Hide! Cower! Believe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunctem View Post
well that is what people used the idea for. but the idea is a simple truth.
to be or not to be
exist in the universe or not (aka emptiness, no god, no matter, NOTHING)

science has the answers
Dunctem; I'm coming in late here, and don't know your overall perspective, but I will comment on your last parenthetical observation by saying, categorically, that...

emptiness ≠ nothing.

That is the Christian fall-back, and is in itself a fear-mongering technique, IMHO. In other words, "If you don't believe in and give your life to God, you'll be damned to Hell. Since the d@mned scientists can't tell us exactly what the alternatives are, Christ is the only and obvious answer."

Horse-dung, eh?

When we do understand it all, after Stephen Hawking breeds with some hyper-intelligent femme to produce a kid with an IQ of, say, 450, we may then get a handle on it.

Still doesn't mean we have to go back to living in an intellectual cave, recoiling away from, the entrance whenever we hear an odd sound. Now does it? Hope you agree.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:21 AM

11,200 posts, read 9,309,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post
Whatís the sense of throwing someone in a lake of fire for all eternity because they did not adhere to Godís rules? In short, since God created us, why doesnít He simply cause a person not to exist? What is to be gained from an eternal consumption by fire?
What is the purpose of hell? So your minister can scare you into paying tithes.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:21 AM

4,175 posts, read 3,925,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post
Whatís the sense of throwing someone in a lake of fire for all eternity because they did not adhere to Godís rules? In short, since God created us, why doesnít He simply cause a person not to exist? What is to be gained from an eternal consumption by fire?
The point of hell is the same as the point of heaven - it is a part of the "carrot and stick" approach for conversion.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:56 AM

7 posts, read 5,761 times
Default Was God caught off guard.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenevada View Post
I do not believe that God knew in advance that Adam and Eve would sin. That would completely negate hundreds of scriptures, including those that said He 'became saddened at his heart' due to the activities of the Israelites. One doesnt protect a people, release them from captivity, and then become sad when they turn on Him if he knows in advance they will do so.

Omnipotence is something NONE of us can comprehend but in my small mind, it is absolutely within reason to assume that God chose NOT to know certain things. Certainly his infinite wisdom would allow this small thing. And this would be in keeping w/ his most defineable trait-Love.
I probably shouldn't jump in so quick, I am certainly no authority on anything.....as with everything we want to know or understand about God, a good place to start is prayer ( ask him ). He has ears and a voice to speak. He is God !!!! I think we can all agree that 50 different people can read the Bible and get 50 different opinions of what it is saying, so I will speak from my heart. I am sure most of us have a Bible or access to one. But it is Him that reveals truth ! I may know in my heart that a certain thing is true and many will still disagree. The teachers of Christ's day hated Him for speaking the Truth, that thought they knew more than he did. This does not worry or intimidate Him at all. I know that the fall of man was God's plan ( here it comes) .I also know that hell is not what is preached from most pulpits ! (thank GOD). Scripture says that Jesus was slain before the foundation of the world, before there was sin, the remedy or redemer was already in place. If satan caught God off guard then is satan God? Of course not...there is only one GOD!!!!And even if I don't understand all things, He does and as I submitt to him and earnestly seek Him, He will lead and impart his wisdom.Something was mentioned earlier about being forced to bow the knee, this also has been seen in the wrong light by many. God of course could force men to bow, He certainly has the power....but I have seen this process happen in person. Let me try to expain....God's love and presence is so awsome that if he reveals His presence, bowing the knee will be a instant response. His mere presence will bow the knee and touch the heart of the most hardned or opossed !!!I have experienced this a few times and you can't truley be in his presence and remain standing.....argueing over this stuff is fruitless...let a heart that is sincere reach out to HIM .....

Old 05-08-2009, 12:27 PM

79 posts, read 55,204 times
I haven't read any of the other posts so I am not sure if anyone has made this point or not.

I think that they need hell because If they didn't have that people would be committing suicide left and right to get to heaven. Dead people can't fill the donation plates can they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality