Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 09:48 PM

98 posts, read 147,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
My friend you are deluded as well. If you did just a little bit of research you would find that Atheistic governments and leaders have committed some of the worlds most horrible atrocities.
Communist govts (which I assume you are talking about) did not kill their people "because of atheism". They killed their people for many reasons but since Atheism itself isn't a principle, cause, philosophy, or belief system which people fight, die, or kill for, it makes no sense to accuse atheism as the cause. Being killed by an atheist is no more being killed in the name of atheism than being killed by a tall person is being killed in the name of tallness.

People were killed in communist nations for a lot of different reasons. Some were communists who disagreed with those in power and were killed because of that. Some were anti-communists opposed the government and were killed for that. Some were simply in the way or inconvenient and were killed for that. These are political disagreements that people were being killed over, not murder in the name of atheism.

The idea of communist countries killing because they were atheists is a myth prepetrated by religionists so atheists would look even more evil. You continuing to repeat this falsehood does nothing to help atheists and religionists come together, it just continues to perpetrate a lie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Delusion ignores truth. The truth is people of faith are far more likely to help fellow humans in time of need providing hope for their future. Those who follow he Atheists ideology are less likely to provide lasting help because they have little to no hope for a long-term future.

Bud,
Why do so many Atheists spend so much time focusing on something (God) they claim does not exist?
Again, that is a lie. Many atheists help on a long term basis, I can think of Doctors Without Borders off the top of my head.

Do you have proof or some statistics that say atheists do not help others because they have no hope for the future?

I cannot let your lies go without being answered. Lying is against my moral values and I must speak up when I see them.

As far as us being so focused on something that doesn't exist? It isn't god that is our focus, but his followers. We do not care what or how you worship as long as you keep it to yourselves. When you try to enact laws based on your religion or want it taught in schools, that's where we have the problem.

Oh, and when you continue to spread lies about atheists also.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:04 PM

783 posts, read 1,326,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackalackish View Post
Being killed by an atheist is no more being killed in the name of atheism than being killed by a tall person is being killed in the name of tallness.
Claiming that Atheism is not a belief system is the popular assertion of Atheists. If you don’t think that believing there is no God is indeed a belief then you too have bought into their most fundamental of their fallacious doctrine of delusion.

Quote:
The idea of communist countries killing because they were atheists is a myth prepetrated by religionists so atheists would look even more evil. You continuing to repeat this falsehood does nothing to help atheists and religionists come together, it just continues to perpetrate a lie.
If you don’t believe that Communist governments are murdering people because of their faith please explain North Korea and/or Burma. Who perpetuates lies? You wouldn't suggest that the governments of these countries don't attempt to cover up truth; would you?

Old 03-14-2010, 10:12 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,013,333 times
Quote:
Because when we look around we see order, which suggests design, which suggests a Creator. It actually gets a bit more detailed than this and there are other reasons but this should be enough to get those who are absolutely sure there is no higher power agitated.

My question remains the same. Why do Atheist, those who are certain there is no God, spend so much time and energy focused on something they “don’t believe in”?
You see order because you want to see order, not because there is evidence(for there is no evidence to substantiate the design argument) to support order/design. Also, you seem to have avoided the question. Neither atheism nor science claim the universe came out of nothing and there is no evidence to support the belief that it did come out of nothing so why do creationists keep claiming that atheists say it did come out of nothing.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:19 PM

33,524 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Why do theists spend so much time trying to convince atheists that atheism is some kind of faith? Atheism is a belief in the same way that bald is a hair color...No hair = no color.....No belief = no faith and no religion. Why do the religious spend so much time and effort to convince atheists of the error of our ways and try to convert us to what ever dogma they have been programmed with?
As to the topic, The only folks I have ever heard make the something from nothing claim are the religious.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:19 PM

598 posts, read 916,961 times
We do not need to make this a political debate -- those who want to can go to another forum.

Also, atheism is simply a denial position to religion's deism. Let's not do a lot of guessing of what atheists are up to.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Claiming that Atheism is not a belief system is the popular assertion of Atheists. If you don’t think that believing there is no God is indeed a belief then you too have bought into their most fundamental of their fallacious doctrine of delusion.

If you don’t believe that Communist governments are murdering people because of their faith please explain North Korea and/or Burma. Who perpetuates lies? You wouldn't suggest that the governments of these countries don't attempt to cover up truth; would you?
I enjoy how you put "what atheists believe" out there when it is an individual thing and not a group thing. No two atheists believe the same thing about religion, all they do agree on is that gods do not exist. If you chose to call that a "belief" then that is your right, but that doesn't make it correct.

Again, I'll type slow so it will be easier. None of these countries kill in the name of Atheism. They may kill in the name of communism, because certain people are a threat to their govt, etc. And they may outlaw religion, but not because they do not believe in it, they outlaw it because it is a powerful threat to their ultimate rule.

Please do a little research and you will understand.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Do you have proof or some statistics that say atheists do not help others because they have no hope for the future?
Yes From Barna Research:
Quote:
One of the most significant differences between active-faith and no-faith Americans is the cultural disengagement and sense of independence exhibited by atheists and agnostics in many areas of life. They are less likely than active-faith Americans to be registered to vote (78% versus 89%), to volunteer to help a non-church-related non-profit (20% versus 30%), to describe themselves as "active in the community" (41% versus 68%), and to personally help or serve a homeless or poor person (41% versus 61%). They are also more likely to be registered to vote as an independent or with a non-mainstream political party.

One of the outcomes of this profile - and one of the least favorable points of comparison for atheist and agnostic adults - is the paltry amount of money they donate to charitable causes. The typical no-faith American donated just $200 in 2006, which is more than seven times less than the amount contributed by the prototypical active-faith adult ($1500). Even when church-based giving is subtracted from the equation, active-faith adults donated twice as many dollars last year as did atheists and agnostics. In fact, while just 7% of active-faith adults failed to contribute any personal funds in 2006, that compares with 22% among the no-faith adults.
Quote:
Oh, and when you continue to spread lies about atheists also.
I’m sorry; as you can see I’m not lying, I simply stating fact.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:52 PM

33,524 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Yeah right, but your source is too admittedly biased to be credible..

The Barna Group conducts opinion polls, which are generally interpreted from an evangelical perspective, and often cited within evangelical circles. His research has revealed "a radical gap between what we heard Christians professing they believed and the values and the lifestyle that grew out of the values."

Old 03-14-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
You see order because you want to see order, not because there is evidence(for there is no evidence to substantiate the design argument) to support order/design.
You claim that I see order simply because I want to see order but the truth is, I see order because it is an observable fact. Any environmentalist, doctor or 6th grader realizes how delicately balanced an ecosystem must be to support life. Mathematics proves the odds of attaining and maintaining life as being beyond human comprehension.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality