U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-31-2010, 12:44 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,046 posts, read 30,801,451 times
Reputation: 12226

Advertisements

Sort of like your fairy godmother with her magic wand, huh?

Ain't make believe loverly?...I'm afraid I outgrew make believe when I was still a child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-31-2010, 01:56 PM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
13,938 posts, read 9,713,962 times
Reputation: 2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by teagal View Post
God said in his fathers house are many mansions so my guess would be GOD built them.
All he has to do is speak and it os so! No bricks or mortar needed.
Makes one wonder why he deemed it necessary to drown everything on the planet. If all he he has to do is "speak and it is so", you'd think that he could just 'speak' that all should die in their sleep rather than killing everything in such a horrific way. Odd chap this god you worship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2010, 02:37 PM
 
31,385 posts, read 31,208,658 times
Reputation: 14879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Makes one wonder why he deemed it necessary to drown everything on the planet. If all he he has to do is "speak and it is so", you'd think that he could just 'speak' that all should die in their sleep rather than killing everything in such a horrific way. Odd chap this god you worship.
I don't know how odd he might be, but he is terribly inefficient. Perhaps it is a case of divine attention deficit disorder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2010, 05:47 PM
 
6,647 posts, read 3,881,756 times
Reputation: 657
Default 1 for 10?

You want a "fact"...try this one:::I just checked it out and 90% of the WORLDS population believes in a God. 9 OUT OF 10!! When atheist viewpoints get some "mojo" I will give it some credence. 1 for 10 is about as poor a showing as you can get. Fortunately you aren't in a casino, or owners of sports teams because you'd be scratchin. That's a rout! I have no idea how the theistic platform can be deemed weak when it is so well supported. It's the atheist position that has no "juice". Oh yeah, a total fabrication is going to "snow" 90% of the worlds population in 2010.

The only way to see the issue on fair ground...is to make the world the congress relative to the matter------IS THERE A GOD? Roll Call!!--- The vote has been taken and the AYEs have it by a margin of 10 to 1. BANG-BANG-BANG.......SO RULED. There IS a God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2010, 05:52 PM
 
3,614 posts, read 2,965,708 times
Reputation: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
You want a "fact"...try this one:::I just checked it out and 90% of the WORLDS population believes in a God. 9 OUT OF 10!!
Ad populum. 90% of the world believes in a higher power of some kind, ranging everywhere from Yahweh, Allah, Brahman, Shiva, Krishna, and just billions of people worshiping various traditional or eastern theism. Yahweh is actually just 33% of the population: the largest religion, but still in the minority. 66% reject God.

Quote:
When atheist viewpoints get some "mojo" I will give it some credence. 1 for 10 is about as poor a showing as you can get. Fortunately you aren't in a casino, or owners of sports teams because you'd be scratchin. That's a rout! I have no idea how the theistic platform can be deemed weak when it is so well supported.
When you realize that theism is the manifestation of ignorance, you would understand why there is so much theism.

Quote:
It's the atheist position that has no "juice". Oh yeah, a total fabrication is going to "snow" 90% of the worlds population in 2010.

The only way to see the issue on fair ground...is to make the world the congress relative to the matter------IS THERE A GOD? Roll Call!!--- The vote has been taken and the AYEs have it by a margin of 10 to 1. BANG-BANG-BANG.......SO RULED. There IS a God.
*laughter* Sorry, reality is not up to the masses.

Gldn, you are outgunned by several atheists here who have spent years of their lives searching for religion to come up with the realization that God is as real as Santa Clause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2010, 07:18 PM
 
6,647 posts, read 3,881,756 times
Reputation: 657
Default What is truth?

Let me try to 'splain it to ya--The other day I was playing poker with some friends. Luckily we are all fortunate to be successful businessmen and can afford to blow money on such a hobby. Even though we usually don't balk at head to head high dollar contests, on one particular hand there was, even for us, a considerable amount of money in the pot. One of the guys in the face-off appeared to be drawing to an inside straight with no other combination showing. Only a seven would do. To make matters worse we all knew 3 sevens had gone in folded hands. He was wearing dark glasses, stone faced. The guy he was up against had a pair of Aces a 10 and a Queen showing. A bet was made. The bet was seen and raised. The guy with the pair folded. I asked him why, with the odds so good the other guy was bluffing. He said, I know he's holding that seven...He's putting out the "vibe". I replied, "He's putting out nothing", and I looked at the other guy. He reached for the pot with one hand while he threw his cards to the dealer with the other...face up, so everyone could see he indeed had the seven. I just grinned and shook my head.

Point I'm making...sometimes it's the "vibe" that let's you know what you need to know...but you have to know how to "see" it. The great A. Einstein is quoted as saying, "As a child I received instruction both in the Bible and in the Talmud. I am a Jew, but I am enthralled by the luminous figure of the Nazarene....No one can read the Gospels without feeling the actual presence of Jesus. His personality pulsates in every word. No myth is filled with such life.". You see, even with his great intellect Einstein used other perceptions to "know" what he was reading was the real deal. This perception can be cultivated...but for some reason it is very difficult to grow next to intellect...though not impossible. There is a name for that perception...it's called WISDOM...and it trumps intellect every time. The best is to have both...but that's a tough contract.

All the best to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2010, 08:04 PM
 
Location: Richland, Washington
4,078 posts, read 4,980,620 times
Reputation: 2483
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Let me try to 'splain it to ya--The other day I was playing poker with some friends. Luckily we are all fortunate to be successful businessmen and can afford to blow money on such a hobby. Even though we usually don't balk at head to head high dollar contests, on one particular hand there was, even for us, a considerable amount of money in the pot. One of the guys in the face-off appeared to be drawing to an inside straight with no other combination showing. Only a seven would do. To make matters worse we all knew 3 sevens had gone in folded hands. He was wearing dark glasses, stone faced. The guy he was up against had a pair of Aces a 10 and a Queen showing. A bet was made. The bet was seen and raised. The guy with the pair folded. I asked him why, with the odds so good the other guy was bluffing. He said, I know he's holding that seven...He's putting out the "vibe". I replied, "He's putting out nothing", and I looked at the other guy. He reached for the pot with one hand while he threw his cards to the dealer with the other...face up, so everyone could see he indeed had the seven. I just grinned and shook my head.

Point I'm making...sometimes it's the "vibe" that let's you know what you need to know...but you have to know how to "see" it. The great A. Einstein is quoted as saying, "As a child I received instruction both in the Bible and in the Talmud. I am a Jew, but I am enthralled by the luminous figure of the Nazarene....No one can read the Gospels without feeling the actual presence of Jesus. His personality pulsates in every word. No myth is filled with such life.". You see, even with his great intellect Einstein used other perceptions to "know" what he was reading was the real deal. This perception can be cultivated...but for some reason it is very difficult to grow next to intellect...though not impossible. There is a name for that perception...it's called WISDOM...and it trumps intellect every time. The best is to have both...but that's a tough contract.

All the best to all.
Einstein also thought the idea of a personal god was rather laughable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2010, 08:08 PM
 
3,614 posts, read 2,965,708 times
Reputation: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
[meaningless story]
Point I'm making...sometimes it's the "vibe" that let's you know what you need to know...but you have to know how to "see" it.
Or you just invented a story to suggest your point. This is called Anecdotal Evidence, which really has no bearing on our argument at hand. You can invent stories all day long if you want. They might make you feel better.

Quote:
The great A. Einstein is quoted as saying, "As a child I received instruction both in the Bible and in the Talmud. I am a Jew, but I am enthralled by the luminous figure of the Nazarene....No one can read the Gospels without feeling the actual presence of Jesus. His personality pulsates in every word. No myth is filled with such life."
Why you insist on these absurd appeals to authority is beyond me: Einstein was very much a pantheist, a believer of "Spinoza's God."
Albert Einstein: Thoughts of a Freethinker

Quote:
You see, even with his great intellect Einstein used other perceptions to "know" what he was reading was the real deal. This perception can be cultivated...but for some reason it is very difficult to grow next to intellect...though not impossible. There is a name for that perception...it's called WISDOM...and it trumps intellect every time. The best is to have both...but that's a tough contract.
Ad hominem. Pretty sure you're calling me stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2010, 08:08 PM
 
Location: Richland, Washington
4,078 posts, read 4,980,620 times
Reputation: 2483
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
You want a "fact"...try this one:::I just checked it out and 90% of the WORLDS population believes in a God. 9 OUT OF 10!! When atheist viewpoints get some "mojo" I will give it some credence. 1 for 10 is about as poor a showing as you can get. Fortunately you aren't in a casino, or owners of sports teams because you'd be scratchin. That's a rout! I have no idea how the theistic platform can be deemed weak when it is so well supported. It's the atheist position that has no "juice". Oh yeah, a total fabrication is going to "snow" 90% of the worlds population in 2010.

The only way to see the issue on fair ground...is to make the world the congress relative to the matter------IS THERE A GOD? Roll Call!!--- The vote has been taken and the AYEs have it by a margin of 10 to 1. BANG-BANG-BANG.......SO RULED. There IS a God.
Anyone whose never heard of the ad populem logical fallacy should read your post. The vast majority of the world's population once believed the sun revolved around the earth. The fact that most people believe something doesn't make it true. Most people believe nihilism means depression and amorality, although this is not true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2010, 09:22 PM
 
6,647 posts, read 3,881,756 times
Reputation: 657
Default God or not

What is the problem that Einstein believed in Jesus Christ?...including what was said about Christ, and what Christ said about himself...and A.E. stated as such...as I quoted. I'm sure you can find things written about him and other things he said that don't include that. You claim I make "absurd appeals to authority"...of course I appeal to authorithy...so do all the athiests...Unless you can show me proof of "no God" from "facts" and "evidence" you came up with all on you own, what else is it you are basing your arguments on?

I stated...90% of the CURRENT world population believes in a God...whatever they perceive it/him/her to be. I wasn't talking about what people USED TO believe when the majority of the populace was barely literate. If it's not true, at over 6 billion people it's the biggest scam/con ever pulled off by unthinkable multiples.

I wasn't calling you stupid Konraden...any more than you were calling me stupid when you wrote, "theism is the manifestation of ignorance, you would understand why there is so much theism."...or were you? But I'll tell ya what, come to Upstate N.Y. any Friday night and you can join us for "poker night". I'll introduce to the two guys in my account of that hand of 7 card stud. But I warn you, if you aren't a good player it could be rather expensive.

All the best to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top