U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2010, 09:59 PM

9,616 posts, read 11,090,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
How appropriate.
You innocently and naively miss it when people quite obviously (!) set you up to prove a point, don't you? Frankly, I'd have thought you'd see that one coming, being the deep thinker and all.

http://crankbaitcentral.com/Images/B...nkbait%202.jpg

(V. big fish chasing v. little fish. Get it?) How appropriate. Thanks for making my point. You're not so omnipotent after all!

Hey! It's time for House!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 10:11 PM

37,644 posts, read 25,337,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
You innocently and naively miss it when people quite obviously (!) set you up to prove a point, don't you? Frankly, I'd have thought you'd see that one coming, being the deep thinker and all.

http://crankbaitcentral.com/Images/B...nkbait%202.jpg

(V. big fish chasing v. little fish. Get it?) How appropriate. Thanks for making my point. You're not so omnipotent after all!

Hey! It's time for House!
I guess you just ignore the smileys, eh? I guess you don't change gears that quickly . . . once in attack gear . . . humor is like putting it in reverse for you, eh?

Old 04-19-2010, 10:23 PM

2,782 posts, read 3,645,929 times
Quote:
Every scientific hypothesis that has brought us the understanding we now possess started as an argument about the gaps of our ignorance . . . and then has filled that gap. ALL knowledge on the forefront of what is known is an argument of the Gaps . . . so take what you believe to be your little "all-in-one silver bullet" argument from ignorance and go play with the kiddies. The "Werewolves" of intelligence gathered here are immune to it.
Argument from ignorance is a name given to a fallacy that you keep committing!

Yes we start an argument about our ignorance, not FROM our ignorance.

All of your assertions claim knowledge from no knowledge.

You can really tell when someone doesn't have any arguments and evidence to support their claim, when all they can do is resort to insults.

I see your true colors, shining through, I see your true colors that's why i laugh at you, so don't be afraid to let me show you, your true colors... why can't I get that dam song out of my head.

Look, if you don't want to defend your position, which you clearly do, why do you keep telling us? Then decide to avoid any person who challenges your claims, behind a shroud of poorly thought up insults.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
Argument from ignorance is a name given to a fallacy that you keep committing!

Yes we start an argument about our ignorance, not FROM our ignorance.

All of your assertions claim knowledge from no knowledge.

You can really tell when someone doesn't have any arguments and evidence to support their claim, when all they can do is resort to insults.

I see your true colors, shining through, I see your true colors that's why i laugh at you, so don't be afraid to let me show you, your true colors... why can't I get that dam song out of my head.

Look, if you don't want to defend your position, which you clearly do, why do you keep telling us? Then decide to avoid any person who challenges your claims, behind a shroud of poorly thought up insults.
Gplex . . . you cannot have read MY posts. I support my hypothesis using existing science and theory . . . not "God of the Gaps" BS. So either read my posts before jumping into the middle of a discussion or bug off.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
I insult no one . . I express my opinions on the offered "intellectual" arguments that have been proffered. If I had your apparent sensitivity to insult . . . I would have had myriad opportunities to have taken umbrage . . . since you routinely associate my philosophical views on these basic issues with the religious ones you seem to be obsessed with. THAT is insulting. The "mindless, indifferent, purposeless, "creative autopilot" universe you ascribe to has NO scientific support whatsoever. It is as speculative as you deem mine to be . . . and all the myriad other absurd ones you delight in excoriating in other threads. The irony for all of you who accept that position is that you have no scientific rationale to even remotely explain how it could be. At least for mine . . I DO. At some point you will have to get real and truly assess the philosophical rigor of your unwarranted and unsupported position. Apparently that time is not now.
You talk and run your arguments in circles just like a christian creationist. It's not his fault for recognizing the similarities.

Lets rehash what you said about this.

The "mindless, indifferent, purposeless, "creative autopilot" water filling this cup you ascribe to has NO scientific support whatsoever.

Tell me, what "mind" have we discovered controlling any aspect of nature besides life on earth?
Before you answer that. What ape have we discovered that tells us that Bigfoot doesn't exist?

I don't believe in bigfoot, and I don't believe in a mind controlling gravity.. though by your description, I must never claim that I don't believe in either...
You do realize that this can apply for any made up object or idea.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Gplex . . . you cannot have read MY posts. I support my hypothesis using existing science and theory . . . not "God of the Gaps" BS. So either read my posts before jumping into the middle of a discussion or bug off.
I have read many of your claims before, and will not be sent on a wild goose chase. So don't bother telling me to sift through all your posts.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
You talk and run your arguments in circles just like a christian creationist. It's not his fault for recognizing the similarities.
There are no similarities between my views and Creationist views.
Quote:
Lets rehash what you said about this.
The "mindless, indifferent, purposeless, "creative autopilot" water filling this cup you ascribe to has NO scientific support whatsoever.
Tell me, what "mind" have we discovered controlling any aspect of nature besides life on earth?
You miss the point completely, Gplex . . . you provide me with the explanation for how raw lifeless mindless energy creates life and minds? The proposition is ludicrous on its face.
Quote:
Before you answer that. What ape have we discovered that tells us that Bigfoot doesn't exist?
Who gives a sh*t?
Quote:
I don't believe in bigfoot, and I don't believe in a mind controlling gravity.. though by your description, I must never claim that I don't believe in either...
You do realize that this can apply for any made up object or idea.
Nonsense non-sequitur. I never mentioned Bigfoot or any other BS. I said you cannot get life from lifelessness and you cannot get mind from mindlessness. Tell me how it is done and prove me wrong.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:20 PM

Quote:
There are no similarities between my views and Creationist views.
Quote:
You miss the point completely, Gplex . . . you provide me with the explanation for how raw lifeless mindless energy creates life and minds? The proposition is ludicrous on its face. Who gives a sh*t?Nonsense non-sequitur. I never mentioned Bigfoot or any other BS.
Can you see what I mean. You just avoid avoid avoid.
I never mention anything about view, just you tendency to argue like them.

Again, I don't have to provide you with anything, to disprove your claims. There is no obligation on my behalf to accept your claims.

More avoidance, big foot is a parallel argument to your own with just as much creditability..

Quote:
I said you cannot get life from lifelessness and you cannot get mind from mindlessness. Tell me how it is done and prove me wrong.
The argument from ignorance, also known as argumentum ad ignorantiam ("appeal to ignorance"), or negative evidence, is a logical fallacy in which it is claimed that a premise is true only because it has not been proven false.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Again, I don't have to provide you with anything, to disprove your claims. There is no obligation on my behalf to accept your claims.
And there is no obligation to accept yours.
Quote:
The argument from ignorance, also known as argumentum ad ignorantiam ("appeal to ignorance"), or negative evidence, is a logical fallacy in which it is claimed that a premise is true only because it has not been proven false.
Let me try to clear this up for you. We have life . . we have minds . . . those are facts in evidence.You and your compatriots assert that they (life and mind) did NOT exist in the beginning and were NOT part of the universe. You are the ones making the absurd claims against the evidence out of ignorance. I assert that there has always been life and mind (God's consciousness) and we are evidence of His reproduction. Where's the argument from ignorance?

Old 04-19-2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
And there is no obligation to accept yours.Let me try to clear this up for you. We have life . . we have minds . . . those are facts in evidence. You and your compatriots assert that they (life and mind) did NOT exist in the beginning and were NOT part of the universe. You are the ones making the absurd claims against the evidence out of ignorance. I assert that there has always been life and mind (God's consciousness) and we are evidence of His reproduction. Where's the argument from ignorance?
I have not made any claim, that wasn't based on my scientific knowledge or my knowledge of a specific religion. So that is fine with me. Because there is nothing to accept, at least with out evidence.

Those are not my assertions, those are your assertions about my beliefs.

Wow, you made an argument from ignorance and now you are going to pretend it didn't happen.. unbelievable. There is no evidence that there is no mind in the beginning, and there is no evidence that the big bang is the absolute beginning. It is the beginning of the universe as we know it, but besides that we don't know.

Your quaint notions that if I don't believe your claims, then I must think they those claims are impossible is no more then your own projection of the way you think. I don't accept bigfoot (yes I know how much you hate him) but that does not mean I think that he never existed.. just that judging by the fossil records.. it's very unlikely.

I see no reason to accept your claims of god, then to accept the person down the street who claims he can speak to dead people.
You should get use to running into skeptical people such as I. I think there are going to be many more in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality