U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 12:49 PM

20,979 posts, read 15,629,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodmatriarch View Post
Science is simply the study of what can be seen and proven. The Bible states where it's all coming from and the authority and power behind things seen...and unseen. Kent is not my hero, Jesus is. Kent is simply showing where and who is behind the lies in the science books and how people like you fail to see even the 'science' in what is written.
There is a difference between the studying of a watch, and the knowledge of who fashioned it.
So why are there so many "scientific theories"? They are best guesses, at best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 12:51 PM

20,979 posts, read 15,629,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackalackish View Post
Communist govts (which I assume you are talking about) did not kill their people "because of atheism". They killed their people for many reasons but since Atheism itself isn't a principle, cause, philosophy, or belief system which people fight, die, or kill for, it makes no sense to accuse atheism as the cause. Being killed by an atheist is no more being killed in the name of atheism than being killed by a tall person is being killed in the name of tallness.

People were killed in communist nations for a lot of different reasons. Some were communists who disagreed with those in power and were killed because of that. Some were anti-communists opposed the government and were killed for that. Some were simply in the way or inconvenient and were killed for that. These are political disagreements that people were being killed over, not murder in the name of atheism.

The idea of communist countries killing because they were atheists is a myth prepetrated by religionists so atheists would look even more evil. You continuing to repeat this falsehood does nothing to help atheists and religionists come together, it just continues to perpetrate a lie.
Millions of people were killed because there is no morality in communism. The government is your religion.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:00 PM

3,614 posts, read 2,953,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Millions of people were killed because there is no morality in communism. The government is your religion.
Are you claiming there is morality in any political theory?

Old 04-24-2010, 01:04 PM

30,038 posts, read 30,695,423 times
Quote:
Please. inform us.
Didn't you just say that you have a keen interest in physics and astronomy? If so you should be able to inform yourself...

By the way a theory in science is not the same as a layman's concept of the word. Creationists often argue that evolution is "only a theory and cannot be proven."

Words have precise meanings in science. For example, 'theory', 'law', and 'hypothesis' don't all mean the same thing. Outside of science, you might say something is 'just a theory', meaning it's supposition that may or may not be true. In science, a theory is an explanation that generally is accepted to be true.

Scientific Hypothesis, Theory, Law Definitions

Old 04-24-2010, 01:12 PM

6,638 posts, read 3,864,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
It's a pithy appeal to authority. I just enjoy watching the same old arguments being used, and the clever rejections of them.
Hey, check out my post #44 & #45 in the God belief should die off around the time Santa Claus does thread.
I was surprised not to see you represent in that thread. A real snarkfest...even a GREAT cartoon. Check it out. Add some of that real high quality "Snark Enhanced Konration Theory" I have learned to enjoy.

We all rehash our arguments. At least I do my best to add some fresh creativity to their presentation, so they are more interesting than the first 20 times.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:53 PM

4,071 posts, read 4,968,144 times
Quote:
We exist. That is proof enough of God for me. Atheists think that Creationism and Evolution cannot work together. evolution is a theory.

How the Universe was created is inconsequential to me. I believe that God created all that we see. How it was done will remain a mystery. That doesn't mean that we should not continue looking. I, for instance am very interested in Astronomy and Physics. I can't get enough of it!
If you really are into physics and astronomy then you should know the difference between a scientific theory and a layman's theory. Evolution is a scientific theory. Also, the fact that we don't know how the universe began doesn't mean god is the explanation. There currently is no empirical explanation for how the universe began. It follows that 'I don't know' is the most rational claim about the origins of the universe.

Old 04-24-2010, 04:19 PM

646 posts, read 529,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
If you really are into physics and astronomy then you should know the difference between a scientific theory and a layman's theory. Evolution is a scientific theory. Also, the fact that we don't know how the universe began doesn't mean god is the explanation. There currently is no empirical explanation for how the universe began. It follows that 'I don't know' is the most rational claim about the origins of the universe.
Could it have made itself? With all of its highly complex systems?
How can order emerge from chaos without assistance and why does it all make sense to a rational mind?

Old 04-24-2010, 05:50 PM

CB300: Evolution of complex organs

Old 04-24-2010, 06:32 PM

6,638 posts, read 3,864,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Please explain to me how/why the conclusion (supposition?) is drawn::: Evolution (of whatever) = There is no God.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Please explain to me how/why the conclusion (supposition?) is drawn::: Evolution (of whatever) = There is no God.
Occam's Razor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality