U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2010, 12:37 PM

7,654 posts, read 9,676,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thotful1 View Post
Interesting. This stuff seems out of synch with the OP's question about Intelligent Design, but I did happen on this news report this morning while looking up other stuff for Campbell34's other post about proven prophecies.

Poll: 75 percent of Israelis want to be in EU - Israel News, Ynetnews

It says that fully 11 % of Jews in Israel would emmigrate to Europe (exit Israel) if they could. Hardly the stuff of a prophesied migration into the promised land by the world's Jews in anticipation of The End Times. Turns out they'd rather be in Berlin or London!

And yet. often what we desire does not match the reality of what will be. Just as the Jews of the past had a desire to return to Egypt. Yet their desires were not realized either. And there are some today who would rather believe that chaos can create detailed sophistication, and order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The fundamental problem with intelligent design as science is that intelligent design claims cannot be tested. Scientific testing requires that there be some set of phenomena which are incompatible with your idea. No observation could possibly be incompatible with a claim that an “intelligent agent” (whom everyone recognizes as God) acted to, say, introduce information into a system. Untestable claims are not scientific claims. Regardless of their attractiveness as religious ideas (although many people of faith strongly reject intelligent design) intelligent design has not passed muster as science.

Expelled Exposed: Why Expelled Flunks » Intelligent Design

I would suggest that the God of the Bible is far more testable than the Theory of Evolution. Evolution cannot be tested, and is a belief that is founded on faith of it's believers. Yet, many of the Bibles claims, history, and prophecies can be tested, and considered.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Much better to say, 'Hey! I was wrong'.
About what?

Old 03-28-2010, 01:30 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,066,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
I would suggest that the God of the Bible is far more testable than the Theory of Evolution. Evolution cannot be tested, and is a belief that is founded on faith of it's believers. Yet, many of the Bibles claims, history, and prophecies can be tested, and considered.
Now that's a might fine example of turning reality on its head.

Not only can evolution be tested, it has been, countless times.

As for the Bible, there are few tidbits here and there that can be independently corroborated but few of them come in the form of claims or prophecies.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:41 PM

3,614 posts, read 2,952,259 times
Do we have a rigid definition of Intelligent Design? Are we speaking of something that is different than theistic evolution? I pretty much lump the IDs with the Creationists because the same people have a tendency to argue for both positions. However, I have run into people that seem to align ID with Theistic Evolution.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:52 PM

30,038 posts, read 30,684,539 times
Quote:
You know as well as I do that is totally wrong....It is just what you wish were true...Wishes are not facts.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:54 PM

30,038 posts, read 30,684,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Do we have a rigid definition of Intelligent Design? Are we speaking of something that is different than theistic evolution? I pretty much lump the IDs with the Creationists because the same people have a tendency to argue for both positions. However, I have run into people that seem to align ID with Theistic Evolution.
This is true, but theistic evolution is just more wishful thinking on their part. It still has a creator as the origin of life. Theistic evolution is not a theory in the scientific sense, but a particular view about how the science of evolution relates to religious belief and interpretation.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Now that's a might fine example of turning reality on its head.

Not only can evolution be tested, it has been, countless times.

As for the Bible, there are few tidbits here and there that can be independently corroborated but few of them come in the form of claims or prophecies.

The Bible has a few tidbits. LOL

Can you show us real evolution? Can you show us a real transitional that all in science would agree is a transitional? Another words. A real slam dunk that all in Evolution would acknowledge. Can you?

Here is a prophecy from the Bible that can be confirmed. In the last days God tells us in the Book of Ezekiel that He would allow the Jewish people to return to the land of Israel, and Jerusalem. And from a worldwide exile. And their return, would anger many nations. In Zec.12, the prophecy tells us, they would first take southern Israel which they did in 1948. And then the Bible tells us they secondly they would retake Jerusalem. Which they did in 1967.

Now, can Evolution show us anything that is that accurate? Because unless it can, it is Evolution that would fall into the category of tidbits, and not the Bible.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You know as well as I do that is totally wrong....It is just what you wish were true...Wishes are not facts.
Yet it is my experience with you sanspeur, that you appear to ignore facts that do not agree with your wishes. Such as the return of the Jewish people to the land of Israel and Jerusalem in the latter days. And you even ignore that, even when they return in the order given in the Scriptures. Such as southern Israel first, and Jerusalem second. And you have ignored the sealed East Gate, even when it was sealed by non believers in the Bible, and built on the Old Gate which the Bible said it would be built on. And that is why the Bible called it the Porch Gate. And those are facts you have (IGNORED) sanspeur.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:04 PM

13,870 posts, read 9,656,549 times
Quote:
Can you show us a real transitional that all in science would agree is a transitional? Another words. A real slam dunk that all in Evolution would acknowledge. Can you?
Tell us what you think a transitional is.

Quote:
Here is a prophecy from the Bible that can be confirmed. In the last days God tells us in the Book of Ezekiel that He would allow the Jewish people to return to the land of Israel, and Jerusalem. And from a worldwide exile. And their return, would anger many nations. In Zec.12, the prophecy tells us, they would first take southern Israel which they did in 1948. And then the Bible tells us they secondly they would retake Jerusalem. Which they did in 1967.
Argumentum ad Nausium!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality