U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2010, 12:37 PM

3,614 posts, read 2,952,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Oh now THAT'S just arrogant, KR! Soon you'll be saying we're just fulfilling some Manifest Human Destiny in the larger universal picture. Imagine that; us careening recklessly around the galaxy in the not-too-distant future, taking over "lesser" planets, asking them whether they believe in (haw haw) a heavenly father. Imagine if they don't, huh? No "universal truth" out there!
I know, it's terrible. For some reason I want to attribute that to Michio Kaku. I'm pretty sure he said something similar, and it's rather poignant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 11:23 PM

9,616 posts, read 11,067,986 times
Have you native-born Americans ever heard of my old alma mater colleague David Suzuki from Vancouver, Canada? Quite the appealing scientist-PR man, even looks like Michio. He's a regular on CBC TV and radio.

He would eat these irrational dough-heads for lunch if they would bother to show up at an adjudicated forum. Of course, you and I could do easily the same. In this forum, however, they can always scurry back into the dim reaches of their cold, damp cave and chuckle, thinking they've won.

I used to want to try to call them out and convince them, but now? Perhaps they belong in the cave. Remember Iwo Jima's caves?

Old 04-12-2010, 01:26 AM

651 posts, read 1,245,465 times
Quote:
It also begs the burning question: what WILL be the next big discovery that proves God's Holy Existence?

Perhaps a good amputee limb regeneration? Now that I'd love to see, and it might even turn the tide for my beliefs, frankly. The congregation all praying for Iraq War Veteran Corporal Jone's missing leg while he sits up front, and then, bright lights, a distinct humming sound, or angels singing on high, the video camera running, and "Bah-Zwauko", a new limb, all functioning and EVERYTHING!

Wow! Proof at last! No irrational blind faith required any more. World peace. Good deeds and humility from all men. No inbound meteorites, ever. No more animal cruelty either (poor kitties!). Or bad rap music.

But absent that, why doesn't the growing body of our excellent evidence turn their minds? Ever?
That would probably convince me as well. But, I'm doubting world peace would result. I can imagine all the theists claiming their preferred god/gods dunnit. Soon, war would break out so they could prove by force that their god dunnit. Afterall, a benevolent god can't abide being called by the wrong name.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:32 AM

1,132 posts, read 1,602,281 times
Quote:
Have you native-born Americans ever heard of my old alma mater colleague David Suzuki from Vancouver, Canada? Quite the appealing scientist-PR man, even looks like Michio. He's a regular on CBC TV and radio.

He would eat these irrational dough-heads for lunch if they would bother to show up at an adjudicated forum. Of course, you and I could do easily the same. In this forum, however, they can always scurry back into the dim reaches of their cold, damp cave and chuckle, thinking they've won.

I used to want to try to call them out and convince them, but now? Perhaps they belong in the cave. Remember Iwo Jima's caves?
Is he still doing the nature of things? I never have time for TV anymore, even something as worthwhile as that show.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:43 AM

13,870 posts, read 9,656,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
My claim that there are more Jews today in Israel than in America was never refuted with facts, but with B.S.
Ah...but that wasn't your original claim was it? Your original claim was.......

"You don't have to read that in the Bible to confirm that the greatest number of Jews, will now be found in Israel, and Jerusalem." (post 241)

It was only when you were shown (in your very own link) that you were wrong, you then changed it to Israel and America...but even that claim is wrong...old chap!

Old 04-12-2010, 08:59 AM

9,616 posts, read 11,067,986 times
Actually, it's not nice to taunt the shut-in down in the basement. I think we should let him be now. It's seemingly not possible to get anything rational through to him. He's set in his ways and mind. Like concrete.

Oh! Forgot to mention.... a British scientific exploration team in the Pacific just announced they found volcanic vents 5 miles down. The pressures keep the water from boiling. It's several tons per square cm (about 1/2"). The vertical columns are made of metal that is carried up by the vents.

Hey; basic geology, eh? But not so the dozens of newly discovered life forms that have evolved there, @ 450˚ C, absent any oxygen or light. They have captured their DNA (imagine that?) and will be running it's inescapable genome map which I predict (ahem) will show marked identical segments to existing organisms that pre-existed chronologically and ancestrally at lesser depths. You know: Evolution?

The oddball alternative is not mentioned anywhere in the bible. an you imagine the illiterate goatherds in the ME even imagining such a place or conditions, much less life? Nope. No mention, even in Job! (hee hee...)

Dang!

Old 04-12-2010, 09:44 PM

7,654 posts, read 9,676,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Wait wait wait, holy ****ing hypocrisy.

You accept radiometric dating for clay figurines of dinosaurs, but reject it for everything else that states the Earth is older than 6000 years old?

And allow me to add the following. Skeptic information is mostly categorized under "Acámbaro figures"

CH710.2: Acambaro dinosaur figurines
Acámbaro figures - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Acambaro Figures - Famous Fakes and Frauds
The “Acambaro figurines”

I believe the earth to be older then 6,000 years. And your links have ignored the later time test done on the the figurines to date. And their conclusions are based on one mans opinion from the 1950s. Is that what you call objective science?

Old 04-12-2010, 09:54 PM

3,614 posts, read 2,952,259 times
Quote:
I believe the earth to be older then 6,000 years.
10,000 doesn't cut it. You can believe the Earth to be ten million years old if you want, still doesn't place us anywhere near the age of the Dinosaurs.

Quote:
And your links have ignored the later time test done on the the figurines to date.
Which? And, read more into the third link. Covers far more problems than some questionable testing.

Quote:
And their conclusions are based on one mans opinion from the 1950s. Is that what you call objective science?
Of course, this article is from 2005.
http://penn.museum/documents/publica...-3/Pezzati.pdf

Other websites cite other sources, some of them more contemporary.

It would seem no one else has bothered to follow up on such obvious fakes. Then again, Rifleman requested access to the figurines and was reportedly denied. Perhaps there is a reason there isn't further investigation on them.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:54 PM

2,782 posts, read 3,639,128 times
Quote:
I believe the earth to be older then 6,000 years. And your links have ignored the later time test done on the the figurines to date. And their conclusions are based on one mans opinion from the 1950s. Is that what you call objective science?
They are testing the figurines directly? That's impossible with radiometric dating..

Old 04-12-2010, 10:13 PM

7,654 posts, read 9,676,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Ah...but that wasn't your original claim was it? Your original claim was.......

"You don't have to read that in the Bible to confirm that the greatest number of Jews, will now be found in Israel, and Jerusalem." (post 241)

It was only when you were shown (in your very own link) that you were wrong, you then changed it to Israel and America...but even that claim is wrong...old chap!

The greatest number of Jews will be found in Israel, and Jerusalem. And that is why the second greatest number of Jews will be found in the United States. And so on, and so on. The fact is, of all the countries on earth, as of 2006, there are now more Jewish people to be found in Israel, then in any other single nation. That was the point I was makeing. And I was not wrong on that fact..old chap. And unlike you, I do present a link that confirms my belief. If you will take note, under demographics of that link, it shows Israel as having the greatest number of Jews among any single nation. And it clearly shows that the United States to be a close second, yet in decline. At no time did I say there were more Jews in Israel, than all the nations combined. And if I did, could you please show us the post number were I said this?

Jews - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Campbell34; 04-12-2010 at 10:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality