U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 03:55 AM

34,565 posts, read 8,914,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Irreducible Complexity Demystified

Intelligent Design? (ActionBioscience)

Sorry for the cut and paste but frankly, this argument over evolution has become rather tedious. We spend months and months presenting the evidence only to watch creationist whither away, only to be replaced by another a few months later whereby the presentation must begin again from scratch.

Perhaps the site should consider establishing an Evolution Forum.
I think this might be a good idea. Evolution is both nothing to do with religion and everything to do with it, since:

(a) Evolution does not disprove 'god'. It is possible to suppose that God is behind everything, even evolution. But:

(b) Evolution does tend to remove a big chunk of evidence for God nad undermines the Bible since it tends to disprove the literal reading of Genesis and explains a big chunk of 'Who made you, then?'

Evelution of the science forum does not answer as the creationism debate is more religion than science and is generally not good science anyway.

But it would certainly be useful to have a forum where any Creationist proofs of God stuck into a debate about Bible text or the problem of Evil could be removed before it derails the whole thread.

Perhaps 'Creationism/evolution' Forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 04:06 AM

34,565 posts, read 8,914,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable
how did the animals decide that it was time to move out of the water did they all get toghether and say"**** lads we better start growing lungs"

if every living species came from some other species and lets say theres 8 million species on the planet then their would have to be the same amount millions of years ago and before that and before that

how come therers still monkeys then,why hav'nt they evolved[?]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Oh dear!!
Yes. The classic 'I don't understand evolution, so it must be wrong'.

The theory of evolution suggests that animals evolved because changed conditions favoured certain mutations that gave an advantage. Suppose there are monkeys all over the globe. In one area (say Africa) conditions might have changed so that the monkeys had to migrate or get at roots or solve problems caused by more cunning predtors. Thus they'd have to start walking, digging and thinking.

In other areas where conditions didn't change, the monkeys could happily carry on being monkeys. This is why (it is postulated) we have animals that haven't really changed much since the Cambrian.

Evolution theory doesn't postulate that everything had to constantly be getting smarter for no good reason. There is a mechanism which you need to understand before you can reasonably take issue with it.

Old 03-19-2010, 05:01 AM

1,838 posts, read 1,932,213 times
[quote=ovcatto;13352692]I'm dying to know how you believe that humans come in all hues and shapes.[quote]

a human is still a human no matter what shape or size

Old 03-19-2010, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
[/i]

Yes. The classic 'I don't understand evolution, so it must be wrong'.

The theory of evolution suggests that animals evolved because changed conditions favoured certain mutations that gave an advantage. Suppose there are monkeys all over the globe. In one area (say Africa) conditions might have changed so that the monkeys had to migrate or get at roots or solve problems caused by more cunning predtors. Thus they'd have to start walking, digging and thinking.

In other areas where conditions didn't change, the monkeys could happily carry on being monkeys. This is why (it is postulated) we have animals that haven't really changed much since the Cambrian.

Evolution theory doesn't postulate that everything had to constantly be getting smarter for no good reason. There is a mechanism which you need to understand before you can reasonably take issue with it.
yeah-the monkeys all got together and decided to evolve

why dont we humans get together and decide to evolve into somethin better

ok so there might be 1 gene that mutated for the better to prevent malaria that dos'nt mean that every species dramatically evolved into a completely different species

i think for that to happen their would have to be constant mutations going on and if thats the natural way of life then would'nt their still be constant mutations going on or have all the species decided that their genes are ok the way they are

ok so i might not know everything about the evolutionary theory but at the end of the day its still just a theory

Old 03-19-2010, 05:11 AM

can anyone tell me how to get you-tube clips on here if its not too much to ask-thanks

Old 03-19-2010, 07:07 AM

13,883 posts, read 9,662,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
ok so i might not know everything about the evolutionary theory but at the end of the day its still just a theory
Yeah! That classic one-liner that really says 'I haven't got a clue but I'm going to say it's all rubbish anyway.'

Bravo 'dobeable'....you ARE today's winner of the 'silliest post' award.
Round of applause please folks. http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1269004028
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Yeah! That classic one-liner that really says 'I haven't got a clue but I'm going to say it's all rubbish anyway.'

Bravo 'dobeable'....you ARE today's winner of the 'silliest post' award.
Round of applause please folks. http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1269004028
i didnt say it was all rubbish now did I

but if you want to base your knowledge on theory then go ahead

a scientist is someone that KNOWS something about a particular subject so its not even science is it

and ive another question for the THEORY- in every animal species the level of intelegence,say from a single cell organism all the way up to a dolphin or whatever is the most intellagent animal,are all very closely toghether-but there is a massive leap between mans intellegence and the smartest animal- so if evolutionis the way then would'nt their be many more animals nearly at the same level as us

enough of the smart remarks mr."SCIENTIST" -grow up m8 theres alot more important things than trying to undrestand Theorys especialy ones that dont relate to life itself-mental speculation-aint gonna make you feel any better

the difference between us and the animals is that we have the ability to understand God,our material nature is the same as theirs-eating,sleaping,mating and defending-but it is only us that have the power and intellegence to cultivate spiritual life-when you die you cant take any material gain with you not matter how much you've acheived but whatever spiritual advancement is made here that you will take with you-

life comes from life

Last edited by dobeable; 03-19-2010 at 08:17 AM..

Old 03-19-2010, 08:37 AM

30,038 posts, read 30,691,572 times
Goodness, dobeable I guess we will have to start with the bare bones basics for you.

Lesson one.
Theory..... As used in science, a theory is an explanation or model based on observation, experimentation, and reasoning, especially one that has been tested and confirmed as a general principle helping to explain and predict natural phenomena. Any scientific theory must be based on a careful and rational examination of the facts.

Theory...as used by laymen, guess or conjecture.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:59 AM

3,614 posts, read 2,952,836 times
Lesson Two: Stabilizing selection keeps the species fit for its environment. The human child on average has 160 different mutations from mother and father. Most mutations are neutral, having no positive or negative effect to the survival in the environment.

And Youtube links are just copy-paste.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:59 AM

4,071 posts, read 4,967,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
can anyone tell me how to get you-tube clips on here if its not too much to ask-thanks
copy the address of the web page then paste it onto your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality