Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: No evidence is a reason to:
Have faith 3 17.65%
Lose faith 14 82.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 12:56 PM

783 posts, read 1,324,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
Do you pursue food? Clothing? Shelter?

Are these not material?

Are you then not pursuing materialism? After all, do you really need a computer and the internet to glorify god?
Ownership or use of material possessions is not what constitutes materialism. Materialism is when things become gods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
Also, atheism doesn't have a "doctrine". It *only* means we don't believe. What we do believe will be separate and can be labeled different based on each individual's choice.
Atheism does indeed have and follow doctrine. There has been much written to explain and evangelize for Atheism. I’m confident you have read some of it.

I find it interesting that so much has been written about a “belief” that simply means to not believe that God exists. The sheer weight of the evidence strongly indicates that Atheists do indeed believe and have faith, otherwise they wouldn’t spend so much time trying to disprove something that they claim does not exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
Theists insist there is a god, therefore it's up to them to prove it.
God has shown you evidence that He exists and He will also prove His existence to you at some point in time.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:02 PM

33,513 posts, read 37,057,177 times
So, salt & light tell us atheists about the doctrine we follow....I must have missed out, because I have no idea what it is....

Old 03-16-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvenie View Post
I cannot begin to express how offensive your statement is!
I’m sorry that you are offended by what I have written.
Quote:
What gives you the right to dictate to others what god they should believe in and what religion to follow, or not as the case may be. Disgusting. Live and let live! You believe in what you want and let others do the same. How difficult is that to understand???
Your statement is a shining example of your confusion which leads to hypocrisy.

You say “Live and let live!” implying that you are tolerant of those who have differing views from your own yet you say; “What gives you the right to dictate to others…”. So which is it; a world without authority or a world in which you are the authority?

This is just another example of the failing Atheistic worldview you have faith in.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme58 View Post
I am very fulfilled, a happy client is one that comes back to me for more work, by way of example, I see a client tomorrow that has already given me two different types of contracts and this one is again a different discipline, with a 4th waiting for when he is ready to proceed, he does everything CASH.

Now where is my faith?
CASH – money is one of your gods.
Your faith is in self, which is a fundamental doctrine of Atheism.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:37 PM

33,513 posts, read 37,057,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post

You say “Live and let live!” implying that you are tolerant of those who have differing views from your own yet you say; “What gives you the right to dictate to others…”. So which is it; a world without authority or a world in which you are the authority?

This is just another example of the failing Atheistic worldview you have faith in.
Good grief!

Old 03-16-2010, 02:02 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,821,127 times
Quote:
CASH – money is one of your gods.
So have you sold all your possessions and given the money to the poor as Jesus said you should?

Old 03-16-2010, 02:20 PM

310 posts, read 588,117 times
Quote:
I really doubt that you are one bit "sorry".

Quote:
I am not the hypocrite here.

Quote:

How embarrassing for you then that I am not an atheist.

If you actually took a minute to think about live and let live, you would understand how my comments fit it so well while yours go against everything about it. I'm not going to bother to explain it to you, since it's obvious you won't really care.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
So have you sold all your possessions and given the money to the poor as Jesus said you should?
Interesting; can you show me where Jesus tells me, to sell all my possessions and give the money to the poor?

Old 03-16-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
How embarrassing for you then that I am not an atheist.
No, not really. Buddhism isn’t that far from Atheism and Secular Humanism in many aspects.
• It elevates man (self) to the position of god.
• In essence it denies God by claiming that everyone & everything is god.
• They also attempt to claim that it is not a religion or faith just like Atheists do.

Remember that deception is still deception, no matter what “belief system” it is cloaked in.
Quote:
If you actually took a minute to think about live and let live, you would understand how my comments fit it so well while yours go against everything about it. I'm not going to bother to explain it to you, since it's obvious you won't really care.
I have taken far more than "a minute to think" this philosophy through and there are truly some startling ideologies that hatch from this belief. I would be happy to discuss this issue with you. Please explain so that we can get into some of the issues that arise out of the philosophy of “Live and let live”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality