U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 03:11 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,085,682 times

Advertisements

Folks sometimes do not realize that as Texas goes...so goes much of the nation when it comes to making decisions concerning what our children will be taught in school. It has to do with the volume of textbooks published and sold in the great state.

Conservatives have made an end run going against the recommendations of many professors and high school teachers around the nation. The study and recommendations were made a year ago and in the eleventh hour the Texas conservatives have brought about finalization which for the most part ignore any professional views contrary to their own.

A couple of the changes they are about to make:

Replace any reference to our nation being a "democracy" and insert "constitutional republic" in it's place

In the group which has always been given credit for influencing the formation of the original U S government Thomas Jefferson, a deist, has been replaced by Calvin, a theist.

This should give you an idea of the magnitude of other basic changes.

Recently here in my state of Tennessee the boards of education around the state have added a "bible history" class for high school students. I have lived in this state for 75 years and let me tell you real quick what that will turn into...a Sunday school class!!

The church always rears up on it's hind legs when it's overall attendance and amount of donations begins to decline and this is the worst for them it's ever been. The Internet is the main reason the word is getting around that it's not so terrible to believe that Christianity is based upon 2000 year old Jewish fairy tales.

The public has until sometime in May to voice any protests to what they are about to do.

The Truth Will Set You Free!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 07:14 AM

5,165 posts, read 8,092,180 times

Old 03-17-2010, 10:18 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,955,648 times
Kentucky's been working on the 'bible as literature' thing, too, and like Tennessee it's guaranteed to wind up being a "Bible as truth" class.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:26 PM

10,495 posts, read 10,086,205 times
I guess it looks like the ACLU is going to be kept pretty busy over the next couple years..

Old 03-17-2010, 12:51 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,808,644 times
I read an article on this a few days ago, I believe. It's also incredibly racist. They want all Hispanics who fought along side whites at the Alamo to not be acknowledged...at all.

What's amusing is these same people are usually the ones who whine about political correctness and revisionist history. It would seem they don't mind revisionist history so long as it's their version of it.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:57 PM

2,893 posts, read 5,175,857 times
I don't agree with these religious bastiges either, but a couple of points on the OP.

The government *is* a republic, and it has a Constitution. It is also engages democratic methods. So constitutional republic is closer to accurate than democracy,but not as accurate as "democratic constitutional republic" would be.

And neither Jefferson nor Calvin were involved in the formation of the original US government, The Articles of Confederation.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
neither Jefferson nor Calvin were involved in the formation of the original US government, The Articles of Confederation.
Thank goodness my hero Thomas Jefferson had nothing to do with that mess. The Articles of Confederation had some serious weaknesses:

1) Under the Articles there was only a single legislature so that there was no separation of powers.

2) The central government under the Articles was too weak since the majority of the power rested with the states.

3) Congress, under the Articles, did not have the power to tax which meant that they could never put their finances in order.

4) In order to change or amend the Articles, unanimous approval of the states was required which essentially meant that changes to the Articles were impossible.

5) For any major laws to pass they had to be approved by 9 of the 13 states which proved difficult to do so that even the normal business of running a government was difficult.

6) Under the Articles, Congress did not have the power to regulate commerce which will cause competition between states as well as diplomatic issues

One more thing...Calvin was much more a Christian than a patriot. I don't think we ever needed a theocracy.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:44 PM

3,334 posts, read 5,127,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
In the group which has always been given credit for influencing the formation of the original U S government Thomas Jefferson, a deist, has been replaced by Calvin, a theist.
That is a damn shame. TJ was the man! My favorite founding father.

I really wish that the word "conservative" had not been co-opted by the Religious Right (thanks Bush 1). It used to mean something good. I'll just stick with Libertarian...it works.

Oh Texas...what are you doing? Hate to see my home state going there.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:50 PM

2,893 posts, read 5,175,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
Thank goodness my hero Thomas Jefferson had nothing to do with that mess. The Articles of Confederation had some serious weaknesses:

1) Under the Articles there was only a single legislature so that there was no separation of powers.

2) The central government under the Articles was too weak since the majority of the power rested with the states.

3) Congress, under the Articles, did not have the power to tax which meant that they could never put their finances in order.

4) In order to change or amend the Articles, unanimous approval of the states was required which essentially meant that changes to the Articles were impossible.

5) For any major laws to pass they had to be approved by 9 of the 13 states which proved difficult to do so that even the normal business of running a government was difficult.

6) Under the Articles, Congress did not have the power to regulate commerce which will cause competition between states as well as diplomatic issues

Funny, with the exception of separation of powers bit, I see those as pros, not cons.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
Funny, with the exception of separation of powers bit, I see those as pros, not cons.
So what you really want is total "state's rights"

That's not a United States
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality