U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-17-2010, 06:16 AM
 
598 posts, read 810,681 times
Reputation: 139

Advertisements

Why is it necessary to assume there is a God?

Look, God-worshipers don't really know there is a God or not -- it's a totally faith-based act to believe: they bang their heads on the ground praying, pay for their religion, ready themselves for anything their religion calls for ... but, no one really sees nor hears from God. Worse, despite all the religious acts, there's no miracles, just faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-17-2010, 06:20 AM
 
702 posts, read 812,156 times
Reputation: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud235 View Post
Why is it necessary to assume there is a God?
It's not exactly an assumption. It's based on an authority: revelation. Since it's based on an ultimate authority, it's no more an assumption than the findings of science, which are also based on some ultimate authority.

Quote:
Look, God-worshipers don't really know there is a God or not -- it's a totally faith-based act to believe:
Yes, the knowledge of God is a faith-knowledge, but it's also based on objective revelation. So, strictly speaking, it's not totally faith-based.

Quote:
they bang their heads on the ground praying, pay for their religion, ready themselves for anything their religion calls for ... but, no one really sees nor hears from God.
Those with ears to hear do, in fact, hear God's "voice."

Quote:
Worse, despite all the religious acts, there's no miracles, just faith.
Depends what you mean by "miracle."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2010, 06:22 AM
 
Location: An absurd world.
5,165 posts, read 8,082,015 times
Reputation: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jremy View Post
Yes, the knowledge of God is a faith-knowledge, but it's also based on objective revelation. So, strictly speaking, it's not totally faith-based.
Contradiction. Objectivity isn't up for debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2010, 06:39 AM
 
702 posts, read 812,156 times
Reputation: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Quote:
Yes, the knowledge of God is a faith-knowledge, but it's also based on objective revelation. So, strictly speaking, it's not totally faith-based.
Contradiction. Objectivity isn't up for debate.
I don't see where the contradiction is. And although objectivity isn't up for debate, it does factor in to this since the claim was made that believing is "a totally faith-based act." It is not totally faith-based. That implies--wrongly so--that faith is blind and not based on any objective reality whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2010, 06:43 AM
 
Location: An absurd world.
5,165 posts, read 8,082,015 times
Reputation: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jremy View Post
I don't see where the contradiction is. And although objectivity isn't up for debate, it does factor in to this since the claim was made that believing is "a totally faith-based act." It is not totally faith-based. That implies--wrongly so--that faith is blind and not based on any objective reality whatsoever.
Objective=concrete, set in stone, ergo, no faith.

You either have faith or an objective truth. You can't have both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2010, 06:50 AM
 
702 posts, read 812,156 times
Reputation: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Objective=concrete, set in stone, ergo, no faith.

You either have faith or an objective truth. You can't have both.
Sorry, I disagree strongly, and for good reason. You're setting up a false dichotomy. Why does faith have to be at odds with objective truth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2010, 07:03 AM
 
Location: OKC
5,426 posts, read 5,571,236 times
Reputation: 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jremy View Post
Those with ears to hear do, in fact, hear God's "voice."
."

So what does God sound like? Deep voice? Rough voice? What kind of accent? Old english, with lots of "yea's" and "Veriles", or perhaps a Yiddish accent? Maybe he speaks in the accent of the prayer?

I assume God talking to you is easily distinguishable from random thoughts popping into your head....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2010, 07:05 AM
 
Location: OKC
5,426 posts, read 5,571,236 times
Reputation: 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jremy View Post
Sorry, I disagree strongly, and for good reason. You're setting up a false dichotomy. Why does faith have to be at odds with objective truth?

Because it takes no faith to believe that which the evidence shows is objectively true. That just takes rationality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2010, 07:11 AM
 
Location: An absurd world.
5,165 posts, read 8,082,015 times
Reputation: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jremy View Post
Sorry, I disagree strongly, and for good reason. You're setting up a false dichotomy. Why does faith have to be at odds with objective truth?
Objectivity is concrete truth. Faith is believing without proof.

The two are not compatible and arguing will not change that sir.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2010, 07:17 AM
 
702 posts, read 812,156 times
Reputation: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
So what does God sound like? Deep voice? Rough voice? What kind of accent? Old english, with lots of "yea's" and "Veriles", or perhaps a Yiddish accent? Maybe he speaks in the accent of the prayer?

I assume God talking to you is easily distinguishable from random thoughts popping into your head....
Notice that I put the word "voice" in quotes. It is not a literal voice as you interpreted it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top