U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 10:18 PM

7,088 posts, read 12,700,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
That would be the saner theist position to take and it would take the acrimony between theist and atheist down a notch or two.
Dang!!!! I have nothing against the theists, several of them have the ability to make me look smart!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 08:10 AM

9,616 posts, read 11,064,818 times
Default Another sparkling commentary from the theist's perspective....

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
When it comes to arguments and debating scientific fact, I will use evolution to get my point across. But when it comes to personal beliefs, I couldn't give two cents about it. I don't believe it. It's preposterous. To even put human beings on the same class as those wildebeast. Pfft-phank.
Ahhh yes... the total arrogance of man comes into bloom once again. Evolution doesn't put any two animals on the same plane. Bacteria and man? An antelope and a crocodile? Quite unique and different, and of different complexities and functional solutions. But of course, the usual arrogant theist doesn't even want to imagine that they might have come from a "lesser beast". How ignorant.

Q: Did your Toyota Camry (or whatever...) essentially come from a Ford Model T or not? How can you even be seen driving something that evolved from a "lesser car"?

Frankly, having studied many large mammals (mostly deer, polar & grizz bears) I'm more than proud to consider myself one of them, and related. Actually, they are far from being"lesser" as the bible and it's imaginary God would have us believe. You try living in -70˚ C, in the dark, with no clothes on, as well as finding and securing food that only lives under a thick sheet of ice, and then tell me they're "lesser". Hahahaha.

Quote:
Moderator cut: Orphaned
Moderator cut: Orphaned response

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur
The topic is "Is evolution a flawed alternative" What do you think the OP was asking...Alternative to what?....I'm assuming creation...Where do you find the creation myth?...In the bible...Therefore the bible is right on topic in this discussion.
Or, this from AG...

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
It isn't ignorance. Biblical creationism is often seen as an equally valid alternative, when in fact all evidence points to evolution. Creationism is therefore flawed. It follows that what the bible says about the matter is flawed.
So all we atheists must conclude, in some cases, the same as DR has....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Dang!!!! I have nothing against the theists, several of them have the ability to make me look smart!!!

(PS: while you'll refute it because AiG tells you to, Evolution's been more than proved by any rational standards. So sorry. You might want to update your knowledge base!)

Last edited by june 7th; 04-04-2010 at 09:18 AM..

Old 04-04-2010, 11:24 AM

4,070 posts, read 4,965,643 times
Quote:
When it comes to arguments and debating scientific fact, I will use evolution to get my point across. But when it comes to personal beliefs, I couldn't give two cents about it. I don't believe it. It's preposterous. To even put human beings on the same class as those wildebeast. Pfft-phank.
There's something called evidence. It's what helps support a claim. All evidence supports evolution.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:47 PM

2,782 posts, read 3,638,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by methodmatriarch View Post
In comparing notes on evolution vs. creation, i've discovered both require faith. And unless you've lived over several million years ago, I doubt you'd disagree. Lets hear what you guys have to say.
Playing word games isn't nice.

Faith has many definition, lets have a look at them shall we.

faith
1. Confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing.
This one creationist have in common with evolution. Creationist believe that there dogmatic doctrine is true, were scientist, and educated people believe in the evidence.
2. Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence. See Synonyms at belief, trust.
This is exactly the type of "faith" creationist have.
3. Loyalty to a person or thing; allegiance: keeping faith with one's supporters.
This is the type of "faith" creationist have.

4. often Faith Christianity The theological virtue defined as secure belief in God and a trusting acceptance of God's will.
Not required to believe evolution.

5. The body of dogma of a religion: the Muslim faith.
6. A set of principles or beliefs.

As you can see, the word "faith" has many different meanings, and does not mean that evolution is as stupid as creationism.

Every creationist claim has already been answered, and placed here : An Index to Creationist Claims

You claims is:
Claim CA612:

Because evolution has never been observed, the theory of evolution requires as much faith as creationism does. Source:

Morris, Henry M. 1985. Scientific Creationism. Green Forest, AR: Master Books, p. 4.
Response:

1. The theory of evolution is based on evidence that has been observed. There is a great amount of this evidence. When evidence is found to contradict previous conclusions, those conclusions are abandoned, and new beliefs based on the new evidence take their place. This "seeing is believing" basis for the theory is exactly the opposite of the sort of faith implied by the claim.
  2. The claim implicitly equates faith with believing things without any basis for the belief. Such faith is better known as gullibility. Equating this sort of belief with faith places faith in God on exactly the same level as belief in UFOs, Bigfoot, and modern Elvis sightings.

A truly meaningful faith is not simply about belief. Belief alone does not mean anything. A true faith implies acceptance and trust; it is the feeling that whatever happens, things will somehow be okay. Such faith is not compatible with most creationism. Creationism usually demands that God acts according to peoples' set beliefs, and anything else is simply wrong (e.g., ICR 2000). It cannot accept that whatever God has done is okay.
References:

1. ICR. 2000. ICR tenets of creationism. Error
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality