Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 01:37 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,567,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by achickenchaser View Post
No. There's only a zillion more errors in it when taken literally, and why would anyone worship that literal God of the Bible is beyond me. It's like admiring a serial rapist, misogynistic mass murderer, and slave owner all in one twisted little package.
So are Bible believers here accused of condoning rape, mass murder and slavery?

Yes, or no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 01:47 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,110,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibata View Post
So are Bible believers here accused of condoning rape, mass murder and slavery?

Yes, or no?
No, I don't think they are. No civilized human being would condone such things, and I would assume that holds true for most believers. The problem for literalist is that the God they worship most certainly does. I guess you could say his believers have better morals than he does

Old 03-18-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by achickenchaser View Post
No, I don't think they are. No civilized human being would condone such things
But one could easily face prosecution for alleging that they do, or for being under suspicion of doing so.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:19 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,403,283 times
do you think that cristianity would have more believers if the bible stated the world was 4.5 billion years old

If the Bible actually stated that, and we could verify the origins of the quote as well as its actual meaning (i.e., the literal meaning was "The earth was created a long time ago," but some modern translator took liberties and changed that to "4.5 billion years ago"), then it would be amazing -- miraculous, even -- because nobody 2,000 years ago possibly could have known the age of the earth. That would leave four possibilities that I can see: 1) It was a lucky guess. 2) An advanced alien race visited earth and told people this information. 2) Someone saw into the future and glimpsed this information by some sort of as-yet-understood quantum transfer. 4) There is a god, and the information was divinely revealed.

It does not logically follow, though, that one miraculously correct fact would imply that every other piece of information in the Bible also must be literally correct.

But all this is hypothetical. The Bible doesn't contain any specific scientific information like that, which the authors couldn't possibly have known to be true, and that we only know now because of our more advanced technology and knowledge that's been built on over time.

One thing that Campbell34 and people like him can't seem to understand is that discoveries that corroborate accounts in the Bible of non-supernatural people, places, and events do not give creedence to accounts of supernatural events. It's perfectly believable to me that there might have existed a man named Jesus who was very wise and had a lot of good things to say, things that are worth living by today. But if archaeologists find corroborating evidence of Jesus (dated, written accounts by contemporaries), there still would be no reason to believe he was born to a virgin, rose a man named Lazarus from the dead, turned water into wine, and then rose from the dead himself. Human beings create myths. There is no reason to believe that the supernatural stories surrounding Jesus are any different from all the other myths that humans have created.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonuMan View Post
But if archaeologists find corroborating evidence of Jesus (dated, written accounts by contemporaries), there still would be no reason to believe he was born to a virgin, rose a man named Lazarus from the dead, turned water into wine, and then rose from the dead himself. Human beings create myths. There is no reason to believe that the supernatural stories surrounding Jesus are any different from all the other myths that humans have created.
That is complete garbage.

But I am not going to explain the reason, because this thread is about something else.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:32 PM

815 posts, read 1,543,941 times

My answer. Why 2000? I will tell. The new religion destroyed memory of the past of people. Destroyed memory that people had a normal society before their arrival.
They speak, about 6,5 million years in 2000 !!!

Old 03-18-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonuMan View Post
do you think that cristianity would have more believers if the bible stated the world was 4.5 billion years old

If the Bible actually stated that, and we could verify the origins of the quote as well as its actual meaning (i.e., the literal meaning was "The earth was created a long time ago," but some modern translator took liberties and changed that to "4.5 billion years ago"), then it would be amazing -- miraculous, even -- because nobody 2,000 years ago possibly could have known the age of the earth. That would leave four possibilities that I can see: 1) It was a lucky guess. 2) An advanced alien race visited earth and told people this information. 2) Someone saw into the future and glimpsed this information by some sort of as-yet-understood quantum transfer. 4) There is a god, and the information was divinely revealed.

It does not logically follow, though, that one miraculously correct fact would imply that every other piece of information in the Bible also must be literally correct.

But all this is hypothetical. The Bible doesn't contain any specific scientific information like that, which the authors couldn't possibly have known to be true, and that we only know now because of our more advanced technology and knowledge that's been built on over time.

One thing that Campbell34 and people like him can't seem to understand is that discoveries that corroborate accounts in the Bible of non-supernatural people, places, and events do not give creedence to accounts of supernatural events. It's perfectly believable to me that there might have existed a man named Jesus who was very wise and had a lot of good things to say, things that are worth living by today. But if archaeologists find corroborating evidence of Jesus (dated, written accounts by contemporaries), there still would be no reason to believe he was born to a virgin, rose a man named Lazarus from the dead, turned water into wine, and then rose from the dead himself. Human beings create myths. There is no reason to believe that the supernatural stories surrounding Jesus are any different from all the other myths that humans have created.

Myths are not born from emptiness. Remember! Simply it is an ancient way to write down history.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:44 PM

There would be no at them more supporters. Because without a deceit they cannot extend the religion.
People would think "What for to us the stranger? "

Old 03-18-2010, 03:22 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
I've always had the opinion that if God was inspiring the authors of the Bible then it should have been 100% accurate if there really was a God. People often use the excuse that because those authors lived in that day and age in which little was known about our universe that we should expect the Bible to reflect their point of view but that doesn't make any sense if God is supposed to be telling them the truth. If God really existed I would think that he should have exposed them to the reality that the world was round, it orbited the sun with many other planets and that the moon orbited the earth. He would also have informed them that he used evolution as a means of creating life instead of telling them the tall tale that he made Adam from dust and Eve from a chunk of Adam's rib.
Everything that's written in the Bible represents what mankind believed a couple of thousand years ago and it's just flat wrong. That's just additional proof that the Bible is a man made collection of a creation myth combined with many threats that we'd better behave or else we'd be paying the consequences.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:28 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,224,246 times
Default do you think that cristianity would have more believers if the bible stated the world was 4.5 billion years old

No.

Why would just the fact that a book has historical facts or has stories which are geographically accurate, make any difference as to whether one believes a supernatural god exists? I can read Gone with the Wind, and it may be accurate with many of the historical events and places, but that does not mean Scarlet existed in real life. Likewise, I can read a biography about Joseph Smith which gives us accurate information about his life, but it does not prove anything about him being a "prophet" or having visions, just because the rest of the book is accurate. I do not believe the supernatural claims in the bible. The rest of the information could be 100% accurate, but would be just another story without the supernatural claims. Prove some (or even one of those), and I might be convinced to believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality