Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 07:04 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,866,813 times

Advertisements

Pope says 'sorry' for Irish church abuse
More empty words by the pope.
So the pope is trying to do some more damage control, he won’t even go to Ireland and meet face to face with the Irish people, he sends them a letter.
I guess no big deal, his visit to the U.S. did not change anything it was just merely a photo op with a couple of handpicked abuse victims just a little window dressing.
Just this past week he was complained about being called on the carpet for his own sin the sins of the hierarchy, he thought people were picking on him.
Perhaps he along with the rest of the hierarchy should enter a 12 step program and admit their problem and not transfer the blame elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 07:30 PM

"Pope Benedict has passed up a glorious opportunity to address the core issue in the clerical sexual abuse scandal: the deliberate policy of the Catholic church at the highest levels to protect sex offenders, thereby endangering children."

Lewis also accused the Pope of dodging Vatican responsibility for failing to tackle child abuse.

"If the church cannot acknowledge this fundamental truth, it is still in denial," she added

Pope's letter to Irish Catholics disappoints child abuse survivors | World news | guardian.co.uk

Old 03-20-2010, 10:49 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,055,710 times
Probably why they introduced the blasphemy laws into Ireland

Old 03-20-2010, 10:58 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
"Pope Benedict has passed up a glorious opportunity to address the core issue in the clerical sexual abuse scandal: the deliberate policy of the Catholic church at the highest levels to protect sex offenders, thereby endangering children."

Lewis also accused the Pope of dodging Vatican responsibility for failing to tackle child abuse.

"If the church cannot acknowledge this fundamental truth, it is still in denial," she added

Pope's letter to Irish Catholics disappoints child abuse survivors | World news | guardian.co.uk
They should look into lawsuits and million dollar settlements.

Basically wash the failures of their lives with Vatican money

Old 03-21-2010, 05:09 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
I am finding it increasingly difficult to comprehend how the Pope and the Vatican administration can fail to have a major cleanup in the ranks of the bishops - as well of the offending priests. It seems to me that "throw the bums out" is the only credible path now for the RC church. What is Benedict waiting for, I wonder. He had the reputation for being hard-nosed and doctrinaire, but he certainly seems to coming across like a mumbling wimp at this juncture.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I am finding it increasingly difficult to comprehend how the Pope and the Vatican administration can fail to have a major cleanup in the ranks of the bishops - as well of the offending priests. It seems to me that "throw the bums out" is the only credible path now for the RC church. What is Benedict waiting for, I wonder. He had the reputation for being hard-nosed and doctrinaire, but he certainly seems to coming across like a mumbling wimp at this juncture.
While they will excommunicate or deny communion to any of us that sits in the pews at the drop of a hat.

The hierarchy's main concern is obedience by the people in the pews.
The hierarchy takes a very dim view of anyone that challenges their decisions, they consider it an attack on their authority/power, anything after that is of secondary importance such as child sex abuse etc.

The only time child sexual abuse is important is when it comes to covering it up.
Cardinal Law and others have stated they covered up the sexual abuse and moved the preditors around from church to church to abuse again and again in his own words for the "GOOD OF THE CHURCH"
And he was rewarded for being loyal to the pope with a prestigous job in Rome in charge of one of the basilicas along with everything that goes along with the position, a very nice apartment, maids,cooks,chuaffer driven car etc.
I have read that people treat him as royalty.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:50 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,632,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
While they will excommunicate or deny communion to any of us that sits in the pews at the drop of a hat.

The hierarchy's main concern is obedience by the people in the pews.
The hierarchy takes a very dim view of anyone that challenges their decisions, they consider it an attack on their authority/power, anything after that is of secondary importance such as child sex abuse etc.

The only time child sexual abuse is important is when it comes to covering it up.
Cardinal Law and others have stated they covered up the sexual abuse and moved the preditors around from church to church to abuse again and again in his own words for the "GOOD OF THE CHURCH"
And he was rewarded for being loyal to the pope with a prestigous job in Rome in charge of one of the basilicas along with everything that goes along with the position, a very nice apartment, maids,cooks,chuaffer driven car etc.
I have read that people treat him as royalty.
Ted, that's because if the Catholic Church turns it's Authority over to folks like you, there would be no Church to run, no flock to look after, and no controversy to worry about. And the gates of hell would have prevailed.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
He's a wimp if he issues apologies.

He's an ar$e if he's a hard-nosed martinet.

You guys can probably go ride a humpless camel

Old 03-21-2010, 11:31 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
And the gates of hell would have prevailed.
Seems that for alter boys, kids who sing in the choir or any child who trusts in the Catholic Church, the gates of hell have been open for some time.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Seems that for alter boys, kids who sing in the choir or any child who trusts in the Catholic Church, the gates of hell have been open for some time.
Reason #1:
Stupid parents.

Was Dad shagging mom when the priest was making merry? Probably

How can a sex offender affect a child when the parents do something called pro-active and careful parenting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality