U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 03:51 PM

2,616 posts, read 3,920,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
]

And here are a few examples of what your dearly loving Christians did to the Native Americans.

YouTube - Indian Boarding School Abuse,

No one should be beaten and at the same time being told that God loved them. The person who did this punishment to this lady when she was a little girl was no better then the heathen. This is not a way to show God's love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post

White hat has found a way to forgive. This lesson is one that should be learnt by many people including many Christians. We should not only forgive others, but ourself for what we have done wrong to others in the past and now cannot change.

It is sad that families were separated when the message of Christianity is for more family. Not just the family you were born into, but the family of God, other believers, become your family.

Thank you ptsum for posting these videos. They show the autrocities that were done by possibly good people with probably good intentions but in the wrong way. This is not the way to evangelize. I see that there is much work to bring reconcilliation between the native peoples and their ancestors, themselves and the God who desperately loves them. I hope to see this healing begin in this generation.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:27 PM

587 posts, read 1,198,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
It is not deniable that Christians have done and do some good things. However, too often there is a "rider" that goes along with those good deeds. That rider is the attempt to change the people they help. Rather than letting those good deeds speak for themselves and letting their lives do the talking, words become the focus.
That rider should not be there. We are called to witness by our lives. We ARE supposed to let our lives do the talking. You are spot on.

Quote:
My grandfathers experienced it. My mother experienced it. In its own form, I experienced it at Catholic School and in the fundamentalist churches my ex-wife drug me to. I will never forget the people in the last church (1994) I stepped foot in telling me I should no longer go to powwow (which is a social thing, not a religious thing BTW). I will not forget attempting to explain this to them and the pastor and being told that I wasn't truly one of the saved unless I gave that up. I remember being told I could no longer play in the church band unless I stopped. I remember being told not to pray in Comanche. I remember being told to no longer pray with the pipe, even though those prayers were going to Jesus. OF course, there was the whole hypocrisy thing going on as well.
Personally, as a Christian, I believe the Catholic church is FULL of hypocrisy. My view is that I basically see the Catholic church as the Pharisees of Jesus' time. The Catholic leaders are far more interested in their own power and standing than their "flock" and leading people to a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Jesus came and died to abolish a lot of what the Catholic church does...

Quote:
I am a Comanche....not a white man. The "spreading of the gospel" and being "saved" (in our experience) has not been just a matter of believing in Jesus as being who you say he is. It has also been a matter of attempting to change us into white men...into their image. This has been the the way that evangelizers have gone about their business of spreading the gospel among cultures other than Eurocentric cultures. I do not and will not accept that your Jesus intended this.
I agree. Jesus did NOT intend this. That is why Jesus is not to blame; we are. You should be proud of your heritage (we ALL should!) and embrace it. I agree wholeheartedly with Nikk that this should be able to reconciled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme58 View Post
See I have been married (once only) for 24 years and never once cheated on my wife, I provide for my family "come hell or high water" and if I ever **** my family off, they tend to have this unconditional forgiveness (after a day or two) and we move on - no sucking up on my part required.
I guess what I don't understand here is how acknowledging and accepting Jesus Christ as your savior is sucking up?

Jesus offers unconditional forgiveness of our screw ups, and he doesn't even need a day or two to get over it. Ask for forgiveness, and it's instantly received. No sucking up required. Just ask for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud235 View Post
"sin" means "you got problems" -- that is, "you need to be 'saved'".

If you got half brain, you might ask "why in the world
I got problems needing your savings???"

Also, if you are Christian, you'll never be "saved" -- for simple reason: if you are
"saved", you wouldn't need God/religion anymore, would you?
We are saved from an eternal life separated from God, not from problems here. This world is broken and it will not be fixed until Jesus returns again. You might be misunderstanding what it means to be saved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
can i ask a question;-do you indulge in sexual desires-if so then you are no better than the gays as you have just shown here in what you say
LUSTS OF THE FLESH
No, I do not indulge in sexual desires outside of God's design for sex. Sex is a not just for procreation, it is a gift from God meant for a man and his wife.

Proverbs 5:19: A loving doe, a graceful deeró
may her breasts satisfy you always,
may you ever be captivated by her love.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:54 PM

1,838 posts, read 1,931,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intmd8r View Post

No, I do not indulge in sexual desires outside of God's design for sex. Sex is a not just for procreation, it is a gift from God meant for a man and his wife.
Proverbs 5:19: A loving doe, a graceful deeró
may her breasts satisfy you always,
may you ever be captivated by her love.
but the whole idea is that sex is for procreation because it is a lusty desire even inside marriage-it is only meant for havin kids

that proverb dosent say any different i suppose nikk ment the same thing so your doin just the same as any homosexual realy-indulging in lusty desires but so am i so i aint goin to judge ya

show me a line in the bible where it says its cool to have as much sex as you want that it wont effect your purity-and dont get me wrong there is nothing wrong in sex but if one wants to reach the stage of purity then all desire for sense pleasure has to be withdrawn

Old 03-25-2010, 06:52 AM

7,788 posts, read 10,444,975 times
This thread is now CLOSED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality