U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 08:20 AM

10,946 posts, read 7,994,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runemaster View Post
Jesus did.
So you are saying that he did not die on the cross, thus making your religion false?

Old 03-22-2010, 08:40 AM

428 posts, read 898,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
If that is your tradition and belief then yes he did. If others have a different belief and tradition then no he didn't.

I believe he was a teacher and had ideas for his time, but he wasn't G-d, nor did he want to start a new religion.
What are your beliefs regarding Elijah and Enoch?

Old 03-22-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Look at it this way... where's Christianity going these days?
I think you may be confusing Christianity with the perversions of it found in "denominations". Currently, Christian churches are growing like wildfire in the United States and abroad, while Catholicism and the others are falling off.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
So you are saying that he did not die on the cross, thus making your religion false?
No, that's not what I said at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke 24:6-7
He is not here; he has risen! Remember how he told you, while he was still with you in Galilee: ‘The Son of Man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, be crucified and on the third day be raised again.’ ”

Old 03-22-2010, 09:03 AM

10,946 posts, read 7,994,317 times
Quote:
No, that's not what I said at all.
Actually, that is exactly what you said.

This Jesus got out of life (died) alive. Negates your entire belief system.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:07 AM

40,057 posts, read 29,784,835 times
Quote:
Everyone who has beliefs, one way or another, always seems to be so very confident that what they believe is true. But that begs the question, (since we're all flawed humans who make mistakes daily):

What if you're wrong?
I don't worry about this at all...and for the simplest of all reasons. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. And by the time I find out about it, it'll be too late to go back and do things all over again.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:09 AM

2,058 posts, read 2,812,247 times
Quote:
For me, as Christ Follower...I was a card carrying agnostic
I was really shocked to hear someone refer to themselves as a Christ follower, usually that's a term non-Christians use for Christians, but if you were agnostic for a period of time that would explain it. I have an athiest friend who calls them The Christ Worshipers. "oh he's one a them christ worshippers"

Anyways, I have no idea. In certain situations I feel I know what's right and wrong and that's really the only idea I have. I used to be christian and then...wasn't anymore. I think that people only believe in God when it does something for them (which isn't that profound, it's pretty obvious, just saying) so I can't answer what if my religion is wrong. But if I'm wrong about what I believe is right and wrong then, I don't know.. I've probably made some bad decisions that effected others negavtively, but then again everyone makes mistakes, so I probably would have negatively effected the same amount of people if I would have done the opposite in any situation...

this post is a mess, sorry I just watched Run Lola Run...

Old 03-22-2010, 09:14 AM

2,058 posts, read 2,812,247 times
kinda sad to see that most people didn't attempt to answer the question, just made comments about Christianity.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:15 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,446,525 times
Quote:
Everyone who has beliefs, one way or another, always seems to be so very confident that what they believe is true. But that begs the question, (since we're all flawed humans who make mistakes daily):

What if you're wrong?

For me, as Christ Follower, if I'm wrong, I simply take a dirt nap when I die and that's that. In the days when I was a card carrying agnostic, I would have missed out on far more...

So, what happens if you're wrong?

Disclaimer: this isn't intended to start a flame war or illicit angry responses. if reading anything in this thread entices you to post in anger or with the intent to flame anyone, please walk away and find a more constructive outlet for your energy. Thanks!

Well, on the computer you may be bodily counter-considering that the skill at typing has also gone downhill, or maybe you are suddenly enthusiastic to enjoy vanity in not breaking the ten commandments. Anyway, you didn't break those, and the world is showing you the light of Day that You become a successful technician.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:35 AM

9,616 posts, read 11,085,828 times
Talking The "Good Points"" of Theistic Threat-Mongering.

Hmmm... interesting comparison: "book-fed" versus "tribal". I'll take "tribal" any time, given the typical over-organized, fully structuralized and orchestrated aspects of doom-and-gloom Christianity.

I recently "buried" my father via cremation. I'd come to terms with his inevitable and fast-approaching demise just one week before, when I sat with him for several days discussing his life, our life and what ideas and concepts made him happiest and most at peace in his life.

"My wife and family. My time out in the woods with you (meaning me). My friends in The Gyro International Club [a friendship club that seems to breed long-term solid and well-intentioned friendships among members and their spouses]."

A large contingent of Gyro's members showed up for dad's memorial, indicating he was right on about their dedication to their "family". The "tribe", so to speak. Reliable and touching. As well, dad's time fishing for the wiley Kokanee and brook trout at his favorite haunts in B.C. were easily remembered by dad, despite his near-98 year old mind.

So, it came that we agreed I'd see to his final disposition at several of those fishing holes. I told him I'd make sure to visit those places from so long ago (he'd not been out there for well over 15 years). This left dad very much at peace, knowing his life would be remembered, and his personal values honored.

So. As regards the tiresome "What if you're wrong?" entreaty:

What a brainless and empty threat. It's highly insulting to the target audience as well, inasmuch as it suggests an empty life absent a Godly intrusion. Or of a fate far worse than a quiet, peaceful finality to the fullness of one's life well spent. It belittles, indeed discourages...) independent judgment, critical thinking and honest speculation, all to be thoughtlessly replaced by a well-orchestrated obedience technique best left to dog trainers.

"Fetch. Sit. Beg. Lay down. Good Dog!"

Remember: only a small part of the audience a Christian proselytizer might approach with this simplistic no-brainer have had the necessary pre-conditioning to support an effective use of such infantile tactics. The carefully constructed fear-mongering stories of hell, of eternal pain and suffering, of "What if?"s that clutter this intellectually sterilized mental minefield.

Established atheists have already come to an inescapable set of conclusions. Their quiet requests for "evidence" have gone unanswered, and their further philosophical debates inevitably arrive at a point of nasty ad hominem attacks, of insults to their intelligence, and of mindlessly inclusive accusations of a complete lack of any detectable ethical standards by this planet's scientists. Talk about a response from the fearful, eh?

But... this simplistic threat does speak to a total lack of personal strength and independence on the part of the typical Christian acolyte, of an unwillingness to take on the staid, out-dated and predetermined ideas of others, and to be unquestioningly dishonest to their own hearts. I'll give it that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality