U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-22-2010, 09:28 AM
 
1,745 posts, read 1,828,346 times
Reputation: 935

Advertisements

I think the photo is a perfect metaphor for all the death and destruction that Christianity has brought to the world
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-22-2010, 09:29 AM
 
2,633 posts, read 4,452,555 times
Reputation: 586
It's just proof that a lot of christians don't care about people, just their decorations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2010, 09:37 AM
 
34,638 posts, read 8,934,164 times
Reputation: 4804
Quote:
Originally Posted by baket View Post
gotcha. you would rather believe in good luck than in God. which reminds me of the person i know who believes in big foot's existence(and obsessed by it, mind you) but not God. she is an atheist. whatever floats our boats right? peace be with us.
You would, of course, be reminded of an obsessive belief in bigfoot's existence without it occurring to you that there is better evidence for bigfoot than there is for Jesusgod.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2010, 10:04 AM
 
2,633 posts, read 4,452,555 times
Reputation: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by baket View Post
gotcha. you would rather believe in good luck than in God. which reminds me of the person i know who believes in big foot's existence(and obsessed by it, mind you) but not God. she is an atheist. whatever floats our boats right? peace be with us.
That has got to be one of the most pathetic attempts at insulting atheists that I've ever seen. Guess what baket? There are many more christians than atheists who believe in bigfoot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2010, 10:00 PM
 
Location: Florida
3,359 posts, read 6,352,426 times
Reputation: 1889
I typed in 'big foot' don't know how I ended up on this thread...

but all I know is in modern times here in America, I see Christians doing a lot of good at shelters, and hurricane relief and earthquake relief...I don't see christians killing no one in these modern times...
I do see gangstas and drug lords hurting people...and porn pimps ruining the lives of men and women...

But I don't see Christian any where, collectively doing things that harm people...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2010, 10:19 PM
 
1,745 posts, read 1,828,346 times
Reputation: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
I typed in 'big foot' don't know how I ended up on this thread...

but all I know is in modern times here in America, I see Christians doing a lot of good at shelters, and hurricane relief and earthquake relief...I don't see christians killing no one in these modern times...
I do see gangstas and drug lords hurting people...and porn pimps ruining the lives of men and women...

But I don't see Christian any where, collectively doing things that harm people...

Really? Ever heard of a little thing called Proposition 8? Westboro Baptist Church? The GOP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2010, 10:57 PM
 
Location: Florida
3,359 posts, read 6,352,426 times
Reputation: 1889
Yes I have...I've also heard of taking things way out of context....

I even suspect many who opposed prop 8 weren't (were not) die hard born again christians, but just people acting on their social conditioning....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2010, 11:00 PM
 
Location: Florida
3,359 posts, read 6,352,426 times
Reputation: 1889
Look I'm not here to pour rain on your fire...again...I was looking up 'big foot' or 'sasquach'...the mythilogical beast...and somehow I was directed to this thread...

So someone must of typed in 'big foot' somewhere on here...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2010, 02:22 AM
 
Location: Seattle, WA
132 posts, read 394,680 times
Reputation: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
Really? Ever heard of a little thing called Proposition 8? Westboro Baptist Church? The GOP?
Quite frankly, those people who follow this hate group don't deserve the name "Christian". Think about this, it is not a Christian virtue to execute anyone for sexual orientation and things of that nature. Jesus didn't go around killing gays, instead he treated them the way anyone deserves to be treated... as human. Therefore, they are in direct violation of Jesus's teachings!

So in my eyes, they don't even count as Christians! And trust me, only a small percentage of them actually do this. But the "bad apples" constantly get more spotlight on the news, why is that? Why can't the good works of Christians be on the news more often?

Oh, and I decided to leave out part of my post because it might start an argument. If you want to read it anyway, go ahead.

Spoiler
Just in case you ask, "Oh yeah, well what about all the slavery, rape, murder and stuff like that condoned in the Old Testament?". First of all, God didn't command any of that stuff. That was man's law, and that's how man wanted to deal with such things. It wasn't right, but Jesus came to fix all that nonsense (or at least he tried to by example).

"Then what about the time God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah?" I can't speak for God on this one, but since I'm not good at explaining things in general, this is how I see it. God didn't destroy those cities just because they were Gay cities. They were given multiple ultimatums and chances change their conduct (not that they were gay), but they did all sorts of awful things such as forcefully having sex with one against their (including young children not even in their double digits) will and other things such as abandoning their family members of the gender that they were not attracted to. The biggest thing was the fact that they technically just gave God the finger saying, "F@#% off God! We'll f@#% who we want, when we want, and how we want to. And no supernova b@#%& like you is going to tell us what to do!" If you were God, what would you do? And remember, you have no control over free will, so you can just say, "Okay, I'll just make them good again." and you've told them to stop over and over again. Time to bring criminals to justice, the same way you'd deal with a child rapist as a court judge, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2010, 02:44 AM
 
34,638 posts, read 8,934,164 times
Reputation: 4804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
I typed in 'big foot' don't know how I ended up on this thread...

but all I know is in modern times here in America, I see Christians doing a lot of good at shelters, and hurricane relief and earthquake relief...I don't see christians killing no one in these modern times...
I do see gangstas and drug lords hurting people...and porn pimps ruining the lives of men and women...

But I don't see Christian any where, collectively doing things that harm people...
It's always surprising where a key word can land you up. However, since you are here with your cents' worth (on a former post there was a very nice icon of a small coin...) I take your point that religion can prompt people to do a lot of charitable work. However, it can also be used as a pretext to cover up a lot of near criminal activity.

Druglords and gangstas are mot people I'd want to share a flat with, true, but I never see them around here. But I do see a lot of evangelical types handing out tracts and trying to suck me into their gang before I am sucked into any of the others.

That aside, this thread is or was not really about whether religion is good or bad but about whether it is valid to to point up a religious statue amongs a pile of collapsed masonry (presumably of a church) as some sort of miracle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top