U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 08:51 AM

4,997 posts, read 13,582,917 times

Advertisements

I have continued to do more research on the dangers of meditation and have learned so much. Even Centering Prayer in Catholism can be dangers, something that I didn't know. And this also includes, not just Yoga meditation but Buddhist as well. This is certainly something that many instructions will not tell you. In India when the hippies began showing up to learn meditation at the ashrams, many had nervous breakdowns, and the gurus would put them on a plane and send them home. They couldn't help them; in fact, no teacher can help a person when they have any type of problems in meditation. Instead they say it is their karma. Also many think that only those who are mentally unstable have problems. This is not true. Research has shown that stable people also have problems, so much so that they wish that they had never begun meditating and are left with problems that still linger.

I remember reading about TM, and how people were having serious problems with it, and so I thought to myself. They must have a different form that what I was learning--like maybe a different higher technique. Nope, it was just a common mantra meditation. The same as taught in most Hindu and Buddhist groups that I was in. Centering Prayer is also the same.

http://downthecrookedpath-meditation.blogspot.com/ (http://http://downthecrookedpath-meditation.blogspot.com/ - broken link)

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 03-22-2010 at 09:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 08:54 AM

9,362 posts, read 22,401,988 times
Yes, in order for some types of faith to be truly embraced, it is imperative that the flock not leave their minds open or think too much.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:54 AM

19,022 posts, read 24,792,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
In India when the hippies began showing up to learn meditation at the ashrams, many had nervous breakdowns, and the gurus would put them on a plane and send them home.
I've seen these morons back home

They apparently came to my country coz they were wooed by fairy tales of dinosaurs.

And you forgot to add this - "the gurus put them on the plane after molesting them"

Old 03-22-2010, 10:00 AM

12,944 posts, read 18,549,934 times
This all comes down to the Midevil belief that thinking too much is bad.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:07 AM

7,089 posts, read 6,711,893 times
It's because meditation is being facilitated with drugs or other psychidelics.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:09 AM

2,893 posts, read 5,182,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post

Was that wrong? Should I not have done that?

Old 03-22-2010, 11:23 AM

11,726 posts, read 13,185,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
http://downthecrookedpath-meditation.blogspot.com/ (http://http://downthecrookedpath-meditation.blogspot.com/ - broken link)
Link comes up as broken.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:44 AM

19,022 posts, read 24,792,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Cannabis (ganja) is a central aspect in Indian meditation. The ashrams are nothing but stockpiles of ganja which the fruitloops smoke to death

Old 03-22-2010, 12:14 PM

37,667 posts, read 25,387,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
Was that wrong? Should I not have done that?
Drugs remove the thing that you absolutely need during transitions into altered states . . . your sober conscious control. Our subconscious harbors ALL of our psychic troubles and dysfunctions. Removing our sober control frees them on our unprotected mind . . . like in nightmares. There is no one best way to meditate . . . but it is imperative that you NOT relinquish control. ALL the other superstitious claptrap is just that . . . superstitious claptrap and ignorance. I have been meditating for over 50 years total with never an incident of any kind. Mentally unstable people will be unstable people irrespective of what they are doing.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:28 PM

9,362 posts, read 22,401,988 times
It is very hard to meditate, IMO. Just to sit in silence and remove all thoughts.

I haven't been able to master it, even tried with a small group of Catholic friends that met each morning, setting a timer for 40 minutes. It's something I have discussed recently with my teens. Unfortunately, they first must master getting up in time for school, then will push the time back 15 minutes to do the meditating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality