U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What kind of Christian would Jesus be?
Catholic 2 4.88%
Baptist 1 2.44%
Pentecostal 1 2.44%
Evangelical 4 9.76%
Eastern Orthodox 0 0%
Oriental Orthodox 0 0%
Anglican 2 4.88%
Mormon 3 7.32%
Presbyterian 0 0%
Other 28 68.29%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-30-2010, 11:39 AM
 
2,024 posts, read 2,914,637 times
Reputation: 1812

Advertisements

Assuming he existed I think he'd be horrified at what his followers are doing - narrow-minded, judgmental, hateful.

I think he'd be a buddhist.

 
Old 03-30-2010, 11:45 AM
 
1,243 posts, read 1,317,865 times
Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
Assuming he existed I think he'd be horrified at what his followers are doing - narrow-minded, judgmental, hateful.
Maybe he won't be too pleased with people who assert that his followers are, or can be, narrow-minded, judgmental, hateful.
 
Old 03-30-2010, 12:04 PM
 
2,024 posts, read 2,914,637 times
Reputation: 1812
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibata View Post
Maybe he won't be too pleased with people who assert that his followers are, or can be, narrow-minded, judgmental, hateful.
Not all, but many, many of them.
 
Old 03-30-2010, 01:27 PM
 
1,243 posts, read 1,317,865 times
Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
Not all, but many, many of them.
Not even one, is it. People don't mind narrow-mindedness, criticism and hatred. They feel safer with them. They are de rigueur in places of work, in bars, in leisure pursuits, in homes, in the world generally. To be accepted, you go along with the general opinion, which is often bigoted and narrow. If you stick out for your principles, you get labelled a 'holy Joe' or some such mockery.

Why do people come on the 'net and slander Christians? Because they know that, to be a Christian, they have to stop being narrow-minded, judgmental and hateful. So they become narrow-minded, judgmental and hateful of Christians, because then they have an excuse, so they imagine, for not being a Christian.
 
Old 03-30-2010, 01:37 PM
 
2,024 posts, read 2,914,637 times
Reputation: 1812
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibata View Post
Not even one, is it. People don't mind narrow-mindedness, criticism and hatred. They feel safer with them. They are de rigueur in places of work, in bars, in leisure pursuits, in homes, in the world generally. To be accepted, you go along with the general opinion, which is often bigoted and narrow. If you stick out for your principles, you get labelled a 'holy Joe' or some such mockery.

Why do people come on the 'net and slander Christians? Because they know that, to be a Christian, they have to stop being narrow-minded, judgmental and hateful. So they become narrow-minded, judgmental and hateful of Christians, because then they have an excuse, so they imagine, for not being a Christian.
An excuse for not being a christian??? Why would anyone need to justify not being a christian?

I lived in the bible belt for 10 years and many of these christians harrassed me because I wasn't interested in attending their churches or finding jesus. I had to bite my tongue at work when co-workers would say things like gays are going to hell, gays can't be christians, pagans worship satan (funny but they don't believe in satan). They were hateful toward anyone who didn't believe as they did. I would call that narrow-minded, judgmental and hateful, wouldn't you?
 
Old 03-30-2010, 01:47 PM
 
1,243 posts, read 1,317,865 times
Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
An excuse for not being a christian??? Why would anyone need to justify not being a christian?
Conscience.

Quote:
I lived in the bible belt for 10 years
And what about now?
 
Old 03-30-2010, 01:53 PM
 
2,024 posts, read 2,914,637 times
Reputation: 1812
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibata View Post
Conscience.


And what about now?
Conscience? You can't be serious. I don't believe in your jesus. So what? Another arrogant christian. Your truth is not my truth.

Now? I live in a country that couldn't care less what anyone's religion is and nobody ever knocks on my door trying to peddle jesus. That wouldn't be tolerated here.
 
Old 03-30-2010, 02:05 PM
 
1,243 posts, read 1,317,865 times
Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
Conscience?
The pricks of conscience are a well-attested motivator in literature; of Lady Macbeth, for instance, it is observed "Methinks the lady doth protest too much."

Quote:
Now? I live in a country that couldn't care less what anyone's religion is and nobody ever knocks on my door trying to peddle jesus. That wouldn't be tolerated here.
Is that because there are no Christians?
 
Old 03-30-2010, 02:30 PM
Status: "Build the damn wall!" (set 20 days ago)
 
Location: Walt Disney World
15,246 posts, read 8,270,255 times
Reputation: 1548
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
Your truth is not my truth.
There is no such thing as my truth or your truth. Truth is singular by definition.
 
Old 03-30-2010, 02:36 PM
 
2,024 posts, read 2,914,637 times
Reputation: 1812
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibata View Post
The pricks of conscience are a well-attested motivator in literature; of Lady Macbeth, for instance, it is observed "Methinks the lady doth protest too much."
Years of being harassed by fundies left a slight residue of anger against people who are arrogant enough to think their truth should be everyones.


Quote:
Is that because there are no Christians?
Plenty of christians here, no fundamentalists. Scots have respect for people and know that would be rude. Religion to them is a personal thing and they know that it's no one else's business what someone's beliefs are. They are open-minded as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top