U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 10:53 AM

2,893 posts, read 5,165,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Actually, karma cuddles. Dogma bites!

Dogma chases karma, but doesn't know what to do when it actually catches one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 11:22 AM

1,838 posts, read 1,930,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Well, you've gotta understand culture and history to understand the "god fearing" statement. Back in the day there was no warm, fuzzy loving god. God was angry, wrathful and pretty much a *$(@!. He'd punish people regularly by making the crops fail, making half your kids die, or giving you cholera or typhoid. Sometimes he'd even send rustlers to steal your cattle or make your well run dry.

Fast forward a couple hundred years and god is now warm, fuzzy and very loving. He only helps, and forgives everyone. Could that be becuause our current lives are so comfortable and easy compared to the rest of human experience? Or is god just in a good mood lately?
thats a million miles away from the truth -their is many a starving child and so on-but who knows maybe they were rich men in a previous life and had the power to help poverty but chose not to-now the tables have turned but that dosent mean we shouldnt help them

Old 03-24-2010, 11:42 AM

12,899 posts, read 18,442,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
thats a million miles away from the truth -their is many a starving child and so on-but who knows maybe they were rich men in a previous life and had the power to help poverty but chose not to-now the tables have turned but that dosent mean we shouldnt help them
I guess I should specify that I'm talking about the 1st world. But most of the 3rd world isn't even Christian, so they don't apply in my comparison.

Plus, you have to prove reincarnation even happens before you can effectively use it as evidence to support your argument.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:41 PM

1,838 posts, read 1,930,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I guess I should specify that I'm talking about the 1st world. But most of the 3rd world isn't even Christian, so they don't apply in my comparison.

Plus, you have to prove reincarnation even happens before you can effectively use it as evidence to support your argument.
reincarnation-the transmigration of the soul from one body to another-happens even inthis lifetime-let me explain
in this lifetime the body goes through many changes infact its constantly changing and after every seven years every cell in the body will have died and been renewed but you-the soul-still remains-death is just the final stage of the body and at death the soul enters another body-the body you had when you were a kid is gone but its still you in that completely different body-without the soul the body cant exist but the soul can exist without the body-it is not made of the same material elements of the body but is made of pure spiritual energy that is eternal-no begining no end

Old 03-24-2010, 03:50 PM

12,899 posts, read 18,442,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
reincarnation-the transmigration of the soul from one body to another-happens even inthis lifetime-let me explain
in this lifetime the body goes through many changes infact its constantly changing and after every seven years every cell in the body will have died and been renewed but you-the soul-still remains-death is just the final stage of the body and at death the soul enters another body-the body you had when you were a kid is gone but its still you in that completely different body-without the soul the body cant exist but the soul can exist without the body-it is not made of the same material elements of the body but is made of pure spiritual energy that is eternal-no begining no end
Not your neurons. That's why you can remember more than 7 years. Brain Cells Don't Regenerate

sorry, but your theory is fundamentally flawed.

As for reincarnation itself, I've heard some good stories but have yet to see actual proof.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:08 PM

253 posts, read 690,717 times
Well, i'm atheist so i don't fear any god.

religion is overrated.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:52 PM

30,038 posts, read 30,666,192 times
Sans peur is french....It means "without fear"

Old 03-24-2010, 08:32 PM

15,123 posts, read 8,222,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintleif View Post

religion is overrated.
Jesus isn't.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:51 AM

1,779 posts, read 2,037,221 times
This goes to the atheists. When it comes down to it. All that matters is what I think not you. Thats right, what you think matters to you but has little to no value to most others. There is nothing wrong with believing in a higher power or God as long as you are living an honest life. Same goes for those that live an honest life but dont believe. Thing is, if Im wrong I have nothing to lose. If your wrong...well If I were you I would pray that your not wrong.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:01 AM

598 posts, read 810,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractured_kidult View Post
This goes to the atheists. When it comes down to it. All that matters is what I think not you. Thats right, what you think matters to you but has little to no value to most others. There is nothing wrong with believing in a higher power or God as long as you are living an honest life. Same goes for those that live an honest life but dont believe. Thing is, if Im wrong I have nothing to lose. If your wrong...well If I were you I would pray that your not wrong.
Well, you'd think after all that praying and believing you are free to go home.

How do you know your God will reward the act of merely believing him? Maybe he was testing your blind faith. Since you always wanted others to go to hell all your life, he might just send you to hell.

Also, there are many Gods in the world, you only believed in one of them. Other Gods will send you to hell for believing a wrong God. You think you've picked the right God, but by doing so you have offended other Gods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality