Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 03:43 AM

1,780 posts, read 2,352,087 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I am one of those people who has no idea what to believe when it comes to religion. So, I take my own approach. I say humans screw up more than they do right. However, when it comes to religion nobody really knows. I have gone from Catholic, to christian, to Mormon, to nothing, back to christian. Its mostly because I like learning about religions and what better way to do so than to get fully involved in them. Anyways, to my point. Most Christian(Christ) based religions often refer themselves as "God-fearing". I dont understand why? Why would we want to fear a god that we also pray to to give us guidance and peace in our lives? Cant we just praise whatever God we do and love them? Why do we have to fear God? I have lashed out at God on many occasions and I am still here and the blessing keep coming. Heck, I have even cussed God out before and nothing happened. I think God can handle it. If God cant then well maybe they he isnt cut out to be a God.

So give me a reason why I should "fear" God?

Oh, and the whole putting God before family and friends...not just no, hel no. By putting my family and friends first I am putting God first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 05:20 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,022,674 times
You are correct. No need to fear someone who loves you. Those who do fear God, do not know Him or His unconditional Love and mercy He has for all.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:42 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,852,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
You are correct. No need to fear someone who loves you. Those who do fear God, do not know Him or His unconditional Love and mercy He has for all.
Tell that to those he wiped out during his OT temper tantrums.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:55 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,777,841 times
I think the word fear is this context is better understood as "respect". When I was a child, I respected my father's authority. I knew he loved me & (now) I understand he would have given his life for me. On the other hand, I "feared" his wrath when I misbehaved.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:01 AM

598 posts, read 917,059 times
There is no God of any religion's.

However, religion is faith based with faith-based God. Within religion, God is a bad curse to followers to coerce them following religious codes, and a hypocritical cover for their wrong doings.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:04 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,022,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Tell that to those he wiped out during his OT temper tantrums.
Man wiped out man. God does not do those things. Just because it's in a book, does not make it true.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:27 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,249,282 times
to fear God is like fearing love itself

but on the other hand if God wants to harm you nothing can protect you and if God wants to protect you nothing can harm you

some people get punished in life -put into miserable conditions-this is due to karma -it is only temporary

you cant deny the fact that their is evil and good in the world so life has to deal with every individual accordingly -their is a justice system in the universe its called- karma-you reap what you sow-good or bad-

Old 03-24-2010, 08:27 AM

354 posts, read 749,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
their is a justice system in the universe its called- karma-you reap what you sow-good or bad-
i concur. without a shadow of a doubt. it recently happened to me. not good at all. what is weird is, i dreamt about it before it happened. so surreal. karma bites. and it hurts. bad.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:31 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,806,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractured_kidult View Post
Okay, so I am one of those people who has no idea what to believe when it comes to religion. So, I take my own approach. I say humans screw up more than they do right. However, when it comes to religion nobody really knows. I have gone from Catholic, to christian, to Mormon, to nothing, back to christian. Its mostly because I like learning about religions and what better way to do so than to get fully involved in them. Anyways, to my point. Most Christian(Christ) based religions often refer themselves as "God-fearing". I dont understand why? Why would we want to fear a god that we also pray to to give us guidance and peace in our lives? Cant we just praise whatever God we do and love them? Why do we have to fear God? I have lashed out at God on many occasions and I am still here and the blessing keep coming. Heck, I have even cussed God out before and nothing happened. I think God can handle it. If God cant then well maybe they he isnt cut out to be a God.

So give me a reason why I should "fear" God?

Oh, and the whole putting God before family and friends...not just no, hel no. By putting my family and friends first I am putting God first.
Well, you've gotta understand culture and history to understand the "god fearing" statement. Back in the day there was no warm, fuzzy loving god. God was angry, wrathful and pretty much a *$(@!. He'd punish people regularly by making the crops fail, making half your kids die, or giving you cholera or typhoid. Sometimes he'd even send rustlers to steal your cattle or make your well run dry.

Fast forward a couple hundred years and god is now warm, fuzzy and very loving. He only helps, and forgives everyone. Could that be becuause our current lives are so comfortable and easy compared to the rest of human experience? Or is god just in a good mood lately?

Old 03-24-2010, 10:50 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,912,983 times
Default Woooof woooooooof!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baket View Post
i concur. without a shadow of a doubt. it recently happened to me. not good at all. what is weird is, i dreamt about it before it happened. so surreal. karma bites. and it hurts. bad.
Actually, karma cuddles. Dogma bites!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality