U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-25-2010, 01:10 AM
 
Location: Seattle, WA
132 posts, read 394,680 times
Reputation: 67

Advertisements

A picture is worth 1,000 words.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-25-2010, 01:21 AM
 
Location: Cedar Park, TX
580 posts, read 917,616 times
Reputation: 389
And we've all seen how effective that line's been...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2010, 02:51 AM
 
34,660 posts, read 8,934,164 times
Reputation: 4805
Another logical fallacy. How the religious apologists do seem to deal exclusively in them.

My views on Religion and War(s) Is a strawman argument. Who could possibly take this image seriously? Aside from any Taliban member getting a hand cut off for reading Dawkins how can the originator of the strawman possibly argue that atheism has failed at persuading a militant fundamentalist group to stop fighting?

I'm seeing so many idiotic and crude attempts at theist propaganda that I'm wondering whether the theists are running out of good arguments or people that can make good arguments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2010, 12:24 PM
 
Location: Seattle, WA
132 posts, read 394,680 times
Reputation: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Another logical fallacy. How the religious apologists do seem to deal exclusively in them.

My views on Religion and War(s) Is a strawman argument. Who could possibly take this image seriously? Aside from any Taliban member getting a hand cut off for reading Dawkins how can the originator of the strawman possibly argue that atheism has failed at persuading a militant fundamentalist group to stop fighting?

I'm seeing so many idiotic and crude attempts at theist propaganda that I'm wondering whether the theists are running out of good arguments or people that can make good arguments.
I'm not really defending any religious group or their unjustified reasons for war, but what makes it a strawman argument?

But if you take away their religion (in this case Islam), you've eliminated their excuse altogether.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2010, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
13,905 posts, read 9,668,418 times
Reputation: 2404
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshogun96 View Post
But if you take away their religion (in this case Islam), you've eliminated their excuse altogether.
We could also eliminate Christianity so that all the denominations would stop fighting about who is in possession of "Truth".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2010, 12:46 PM
 
455 posts, read 1,329,289 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
We could also eliminate Christianity so that all the denominations would stop fighting about who is in possession of "Truth".
I'm guessing there was a picture linked to the first post...

The difference here is that you really don't have Christians running around, shooting and blowing themselves (and opposing denominations) up. Not ignoring the fact that Christianity had the Crusades... but they've at least matured since then... apparently that's hard to do for Islam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2010, 12:52 PM
 
3,614 posts, read 2,953,618 times
Reputation: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingMunkeyCU View Post
I'm guessing there was a picture linked to the first post...

The difference here is that you really don't have Christians running around, shooting and blowing themselves (and opposing denominations) up. Not ignoring the fact that Christianity had the Crusades... but they've at least matured since then... apparently that's hard to do for Islam.
Don't be so sure.

Still More Things Atheists Didn't Do | Quick Hitts
George Tiller - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Christian terrorism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My Co-workers are retarded and have somehow managed to infect this work machine with a bug that keeps redirecting my internet traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2010, 01:00 PM
 
Location: Metromess
11,798 posts, read 21,366,178 times
Reputation: 5054
Religion has always been a convenient excuse for war, but eliminating it wouldn't eliminate war. There are many other excuses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2010, 01:21 PM
 
31,385 posts, read 31,082,292 times
Reputation: 14878
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingMunkeyCU View Post
I'm guessing there was a picture linked to the first post...

The difference here is that you really don't have Christians running around, shooting and blowing themselves (and opposing denominations) up. Not ignoring the fact that Christianity had the Crusades... but they've at least matured since then... apparently that's hard to do for Islam.
Unless you consider the religious tit for tat between Muslims and Christians in places like Nigeria and the Balkans as maturity I concede your point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2010, 01:23 PM
 
31,385 posts, read 31,082,292 times
Reputation: 14878
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Religion has always been a convenient excuse for war, but eliminating it wouldn't eliminate war. There are many other excuses.
Well that is certainly true, but at least that would leave us with rational reason s for wars and as such rational reasons to resolve them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top