U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 01:59 PM

30,037 posts, read 30,676,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baket View Post
well about the flat earth. before galileo's breakthrough discovery, do not tell me it is irrational for people to say earth is flat that time because they walk on flat lands. what i marvel about is the fact that the earth is round but we walk on flat lands. i am constantly told we walk on flat lands because the circumnavigation of earth is wide... anyway, i want to see the rover go to the edge of the circle on mars, to see what happens. does it fall off mars? if it does, why does no one fall of earth? gravity again? but gravity is a mystery right? is gravity ONLY present in earth? which brings me to landing on moon. why is the shuttle used by the astronauts not floating but when the astronauts "walk" they seem to be jumpfloating wat the hell is that about? is that logical? also rovers in mars clearly dont float. so there is gravity in other planets too?
Have you ever actually attended school? The things you seem to be puzzled about could be answered by any grade three student. The moon's gravity is 1/6th of earth's, hence what you describe as "jump walking".
I have no idea what you mean when you say you want to see what happens to the rover when it goes to the end of the circle. Mars is not a circle.

Gravity Explained
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 02:29 PM

354 posts, read 677,752 times
huh. all planets are round. how are they not circles? what i mean by the astronauts is that. the flag they erected is not floating, their shuttle is not floating, the cameras they use is not floating. then what is the reason that when they walk they seem to float about, like jumping and like slo mo mid air. lemme find a vid of that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMINSD7MmT4

see that, he was jumping floating like soo weird. when all other things, the flag etc, were firmly in place. is that scientifically logical? i mean why cant they walk like normal freaking people in moon. the rover in mars move about like it would normally here on earth. oh they also brought their own rover on succeeding landings. and it works normally like it does on earth. so what is the scientific reason for the hoppity dippity walk like they are floating?

oh and also this makes me laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT2k3...eature=related

how can he get up like someone with a string? if you watch the related vids. like many instances these astronauts fall, the way they get up is like when someone is connected on string.

Last edited by baket; 03-27-2010 at 03:14 PM..

Old 03-27-2010, 02:45 PM

310 posts, read 488,280 times
Quote:
huh. all planets are round. how are they not circles? what i mean by the astronauts is that. the flag they erected is not floating, their shuttle is not floating, the cameras they use is not floating. then what is the reason that when they walk they seem to float about, like jumping and like slo mo mid air. lemme find a vid of that:
OMG there is so much lacking in your comprehension of basic things that I don't know where to start!! A circle is NOT the same as a sphere, just as a square is NOT the same as a cube and a triangle is NOT the same as a cone!

Oh man...so sad. Just SAD.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:05 PM

Planets are NOT circles, they are spheres...Do you not know the difference? A circle is two dimensional and a sphere is three dimensional.....Look at a flat plate (circle), then an orange (sphere)

I already explained why people walking on the moon seems strange to you. Say you weigh 160 pounds here on earth and you can jump three feet off the ground. On the moon you would only weigh about 27 pounds. How high do you think you could jump?
Because the moon's gravity is only 1/6th of earth's if a person jumps on the moon their rate of falling back is much slower, thus they look like they are in slow motion.

Of course the flag, moon lander and other things are in place they are held by the moons gravity. In order for them to float off into space there would have to be no gravity at all....Everything with mass has gravity.

Did you not read the link I provided?

Old 03-27-2010, 03:24 PM

ok planets are spheres. i still want the mars rover to go under the mars sphere. as an experiment, will it fall off?! if it does... what is the explanation that on the same position of the earth's sphere... nothing falls off. spheres are not flat. we walk on flat lands. i know gravity, wide area whatever. it still amaze me though.

Old 03-27-2010, 04:06 PM

9,616 posts, read 11,064,818 times
You'll hurt your head if you continue, san.....

baket, just think of those astronauts, who grew up and developed their muscles here on big old Earth, as being sort of Supermen when they arrive on the moon.

The moon is a lot smaller that the Earth, and the laws of gravity tell us that different size and mass objects create different levels of gravitational pull. The moon is 1/6 the mass of the Earth, and so its gravitational pull is less.

So, an earthman on Earth feels a pull of, say, 180 lb, but the same guy walking on the moon, but still with the same strong leg muscles used to carrying all that weight on Earth, now only has to carry 180 / 6 = 30 lb. So of course he can jump higher, and then the moon/s lessened gravity doesn't pull him back down so fast, so he appears to walk in slo-mo.

There. Get it? Or not? This may be your last chance.

Old 03-27-2010, 04:09 PM

"i still want the mars rover to go under the mars sphere"

There is no "under" on mars, or on earth for that matter. Gravity applies straight to the center no matter where you are on the planet. Up or down is only a depiction on a map.

Old 03-27-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
You'll hurt your head if you continue, san.....

baket, just think of those astronauts, who grew up and developed their muscles here on big old Earth, as being sort of Supermen when they arrive on the moon.

The moon is a lot smaller that the Earth, and the laws of gravity tell us that different size and mass objects create different levels of gravitational pull. The moon is 1/6 the mass of the Earth, and so its gravitational pull is less.

So, an earthman on Earth feels a pull of, say, 180 lb, but the same guy walking on the moon, but still with the same strong leg muscles used to carrying all that weight on Earth, now only has to carry 180 / 6 = 30 lb. So of course he can jump higher, and then the moon/s lessened gravity doesn't pull him back down so fast, so he appears to walk in slo-mo.

There. Get it? Or not? This may be your last chance.
I used to teach very young children, and his questions bring back fond memories....

Old 03-27-2010, 04:14 PM

totally get you there rifle. i wonder why these astronauts can't fly like superman though... i mean with style.. swooosh! but what about the looks like they are being picked up on string when they fall as seen on many vids? whats your scientific explanation.

by the way accdg to your mathematical explanation if the flag pole weighs light here on earth and it is lighter on moon. why does it not float when they stick it on the moon? also why are there no sign of that flag on the recent japanese satellite pics nor the litter left by these astronaut trashing object about. my goodness did u see those videos where they were throwing objects in the moon? did they just left it there? that's space littering they shld be fined.

Old 03-27-2010, 04:32 PM

134 posts, read 84,998 times
Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMINSD7MmT4

see that, he was jumping floating like soo weird. when all other things, the flag etc, were firmly in place. is that scientifically logical? i mean why cant they walk like normal freaking people in moon. the rover in mars move about like it would normally here on earth. oh they also brought their own rover on succeeding landings. and it works normally like it does on earth. so what is the scientific reason for the hoppity dippity walk like they are floating?

oh and also this makes me laugh:

YouTube - Apollo Moon astronaut falls flat on his face!

how can he get up like someone with a string? if you watch the related vids. like many instances these astronauts fall, the way they get up is like when someone is connected on string.
They are jump-floating as you call it because,lets take for example a person weighing 150 pounds on Earth will only weigh 25 pounds on the moon,so their body is much lighter since less gravity is holding them down than they are use to on Earth as gravity being 1/6th less there is more spring in their step.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality